Anyone paid for a operation privately with Bupa?

12
Found 8th Feb 2010
Just wondering cause I've been ill for 3 months and local hosp have now diagnosed ovarian cysts. According to the consultant they just leave them and review in 3 months. As I've already been admitted and discharged twice and had pain that is only controlled with morphine my husband is saying we should consider Bupa. Luckily for him he has cover included with his work but I don't so if they would remove them I'd have to pay.

Would be interested to have a rough idea of cost

Thanks

  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
12 Comments

I think it would be upwards of £3000

keluar;7788712

I think it would be upwards of £3000



worth it to still be alive, would speak to them and see what they can do for you, if it would be beneficial to you for them to help

If you are covered with BUPA, no harm is asking your GP to refer you to BUPA for another opinion. Surgery is not always the answer but all depends because every person has variations of cysts.

You would need to check what level of cover you have but if surgery is required, I am sure it would be covered.

Lots of info here nhs.uk/Con…spx

Check your husbands works cover does not include yourself as well.A friend of mine (no longer with us.God bless her) had a son who needed an operation and the NHS waiting list was a long wait.Her husband had cover at work and he checked the cover and all the family was covered.My sister suffers form the same condition as yourself.Hope this helps.:)

There is now an 18 week policy in NHS.. So from Gp consultation to surgery should be done within 18 weeks

Original Poster

18 wks, can't see it. I was first admitted end of oct but they keep changing diagnosis so I'd think thats a way round the 18 wks. Doc has said cysts from start but consultant has gone from that to kidney stones and back again. Speaking to Gp tomorrow so hopefully she'll be helpful
Thanks everyone

Banned

lostscot;7795604

so I'd think thats a way round the 18 wks.



Its not a way round anything

Opinions change you know..........

lostscot;7795604

18 wks, can't see it. I was first admitted end of oct but they keep … 18 wks, can't see it. I was first admitted end of oct but they keep changing diagnosis so I'd think thats a way round the 18 wks. Doc has said cysts from start but consultant has gone from that to kidney stones and back again. Speaking to Gp tomorrow so hopefully she'll be helpful Thanks everyone



Difficult to say much here without knowing what tests etc you have had. Sounds like they have not reached a final diagnosis. This is not because they want to delay things, and is nothing to do with the 18 weeks.

18 weeks only applies when GP or nurse refers you to a specialist, you should be seen within 18 weeks. Depends on what type of specialist but in this area from referral, you will be seen by a gynaecologist within a month. Things like orthopaedics are usually longer.

Getting to a diagnosis can be very frustrating, often only done by ruling things out. Even if it is cysts, surgery is not always inevitable. As you will see from the link I gave you there are other treatments that may be tried first. Was this info any good on the site?

Original Poster

Yeah link was helpful and I know it's hard to give a def diagnosis but they have shown there is 2 cysts on ultrasound measuring 5/6cms each which seems to be getting to a size they would remove. Also had a CT scan and xrays no where has there been any kidney stone or anything else. Guess I'm just getting really fed up now, it's a long time to be ill when you have two toddlers to look after! I just find it hard thinking that I have to put up with another 3 mths of this before I'll even see anyone again, never mind get anywhere

But who says it is going to be 3 months until you seen anyone. That is highly unlikely. If that were to be the case, you are going to request to see a gynaecologist privately because you ahev the BUPA cover

Original Poster

They told me when I was discharged mon that they had booked me in for a scan to review things in 3 months and I would see consultant then. Think I'll get gp to do request for bupa

The reason they book another scan is to see disease progression. ( i.e. Cyst reducing in size) hence the 3 months wait.
I think in private setting, they are likely to offer you laparoscopy (key hole). Could they not have drained the cyst down during your ultrascan?
Post a comment
Avatar
@
    Text