Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Anyone Purchased "Call The Midwife" on Blu-Ray From USA?

Posted 10th NovEdited by:"lettherebedeals"
Hi All, many of us have seen the most wonderful drama "Call The Midwife" its a drama that truly deserves to be seen at its BEST on Blu-Ray, but sadly here in the UK we have been shafted with DVD box-sets only which I personally find so annoying, ONLY 2 countries have Call the Midwife on Blu-Ray USA & Spain, however sadly Spain have only been authorised to sell Seasons 1 & 2 on Blu-Ray... The Good News is though if anyone is Interested both Seasons 1 & 2 can be had from Spain for around £17 Delivered on Blu-Ray (3rd Party Sellers)

Expert Reviews
of the Blu-Ray Releases are Superb and far outshine the DVD versions for Picture Quality & Sound Quality. But no signs the UK will EVER get a blu-ray release.

My question is? as anyone purchased the USA versions and if so can you confirm if they are region-free or not?

Also I am NOT interested in streaming Call the Midwife I really do want every season on Blu-Ray and just need to know if the USA versions are region-free or not. I have searched many reviews to no avail, it seems the US version of Season 1 & 2 can be played on UK blu-ray players, but the rest of the seasons are Region-One Encoded, maybe this is why Spain have ONLY been authorised to sell Seasons 1 & 2... Its so frustrating, but its NOT the BBC I blame for this ONLY allowing USA (A Very British Drama Might I Add) the blu-ray version, its the UK buyers who are still buying DVDs more so than blu-rays.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Phsycronix11/11/2019 13:52

It might sound weird but I find there is something almost "spiritual" …It might sound weird but I find there is something almost "spiritual" about the act of selecting an album from the shelf, taking a CD out of the case, popping it in the Hi-Fi and pressing play. I enjoy seeing my collection at a glance, rather than a digital list on a screen. It's a bit like how we can all make a simple cup of tea (albeit you wouldn't want to drink mine!) but the Japanese can turn it into a pure art-form.It's not just the medium, but the act of using the medium. Like the resurgence in vinyl that we seem to be seeing once more. I never, ever thought that the day would dawn when Tesco's started selling vinyl albums again. Doh! Now I feel old...

I absolutely agree with you 100%. My entire cd collection is ripped to my computer and some of the CDs are stored away in boxes but I still reserve some space to dedicate to my favourite albums. I love picking a CD from the shelf, looking at the artwork and browsing the booklet inside as I listen. It makes for a nice listening experience to have something tangible in your hand to appreciate an album. I also like to have my favourites displayed and sorted, I think that real music lovers would understand where we are coming from.

38958220-edYqL.jpg
46 Comments
Just download all the episodes in HD...much cheaper and simpler. You get the quality, the portability and it will NOT cost £40 per season like the blu-rays do...
ShishaGod10/11/2019 22:17

Just download all the episodes in HD...much cheaper and simpler. You get …Just download all the episodes in HD...much cheaper and simpler. You get the quality, the portability and it will NOT cost £40 per season like the blu-rays do...

...or buy a multi-region Blu-ray Disc/DVD player.
fanpages10/11/2019 22:37

...or buy a multi-region Blu-ray Disc/DVD player.

Yes, I believe that part is obvious...paying £40 per season on an 8 season programme is the reason I recommended downloading instead...
ShishaGod10/11/2019 22:51

Yes, I believe that part is obvious...paying £40 per season on an 8 season …Yes, I believe that part is obvious...paying £40 per season on an 8 season programme is the reason I recommended downloading instead...

As obvious (to me) was this statement within the opening post (thread description):

"Also I am NOT interested in streaming Call the Midwife I really do want every season on Blu-Ray..."
fanpages10/11/2019 22:55

As obvious (to me) was this statement within the opening post (thread …As obvious (to me) was this statement within the opening post (thread description):"Also I am NOT interested in streaming Call the Midwife I really do want every season on Blu-Ray..."

Did I say anything about streaming? No. As much as he wants every season on blu-ray, i'm offering him a cheaper way to own and watch them on his TV/laptop etc in full HD and above..
ShishaGod10/11/2019 22:59

Did I say anything about streaming? No. As much as he wants every season …Did I say anything about streaming? No. As much as he wants every season on blu-ray, i'm offering him a cheaper way to own and watch them on his TV/laptop etc in full HD and above..

Yes, ownership on Blu-ray Disc is required.

Price may have no bearing on that decision.

Did I say anything about streaming? No. As much as he wants every season …Did I say anything about streaming? No. As much as he wants every season on blu-ray, i'm offering him a cheaper way to own and watch them on his TV/laptop etc in full HD and above..

So what he saves on the blu ray purchase, he’ll have to spend on a device that allows him to play said downloads? (If he doesn’t own one of course) Or, he can just buy the blu ray and play them on an existing device? They’re around $20 per season so it’s literally only a few quid more to own them on blu ray. (Going by the prices on iTunes)

ShishaGod10/11/2019 22:17

You get the quality

^ That is factually incorrect too. HD downloads are not the same quality as a blu ray. Not for audio or image quality unless it’s a pure rip of a Blu-ray without any compression applied. You’re then getting into piracy there though...

Anyway @lettherebedeals to answer your question, Season 1 is apparently playable in the UK according to bluray.com. blu-ray.com/mov…84/ . It’d be a safe bet the rest are too but maybe buy a later season to test before buying the lot.
I really don't care, just trying to help the OP. No idea why people on here still get so immediately on the defensive. @Biddy2 let's not kid ourselves please, i've personally given away private torrent tracker invites on here, as have others. And yes, the world you're looking for is "remux" which I didn't use, and meant that the downloads would be better than streaming. @lettherebedeals i've PM'd you.
ShishaGod10/11/2019 22:51

Yes, I believe that part is obvious...paying £40 per season on an 8 season …Yes, I believe that part is obvious...paying £40 per season on an 8 season programme is the reason I recommended downloading instead...

Did I say anything about streaming? No...

ShishaGod11/11/2019 00:25

I really don't care, just trying to help the OP. No idea why people on …I really don't care, just trying to help the OP. No idea why people on here still get so immediately on the defensive...

Indeed.
ShishaGod11/11/2019 00:25

I really don't care, just trying to help the OP. No idea why people on …I really don't care, just trying to help the OP. No idea why people on here still get so immediately on the defensive. @Biddy2 let's not kid ourselves please, i've personally given away private torrent tracker invites on here, as have others. And yes, the world you're looking for is "remux" which I didn't use, and meant that the downloads would be better than streaming. @lettherebedeals i've PM'd you.

I’m not sure why you think I was looking for the word “remux”? Unless of course you think you’re the only person in the world who knows how to pirate things of course. I’m well aware of those things, thanks. Others aren’t though, hence why I said it in terms that one might understand who isn’t aware of them.

For someone who doesn’t care too, you’ve been mightily defensive across the whole thread. Hiding your true intensions (pirating) then doubling down with @fanpages who correctly pointed out that the OP is looking for the blu rays to play on their blu ray player. The OP likes to own physical copies (judging by their posting history). Your helpful suggestion is about as helpful as a chocolate teapot. The only PM you should be sending the OP is thanking them for funding content for you to download for free.
I blame people buying DVD’s or blu rays, owning physical media has been a false economy for a long time, taking up space gathering dust and making a huge amount of future plastic waste.
cmdr_elito11/11/2019 05:43

I blame people buying DVD’s or blu rays, owning physical media has been a f …I blame people buying DVD’s or blu rays, owning physical media has been a false economy for a long time, taking up space gathering dust and making a huge amount of future plastic waste.

Agreed. Finally, someone who isn't on full attack dog mode, and has abit of common sense.
LOL, hey you guys, looks like my thread as attracted a debate, thank you @ShishaGod for your PM about Google Play, however I see your post as got a debate brewing, I think it was @Biddy2 who highlighted "That is factually incorrect too. HD downloads are not the same quality as a blu ray. Not for audio or image quality unless it’s a pure rip of a Blu-ray without any compression applied"which is very true, which is why in my initial statement I shared I was not looking to stream Call the Midwife, this includes downloading a streamed version & actually to buy every season on Google Play in HD works out more expensive than the Blu-Rays when they are on offer in USA.

It is true I do like to buy Physical Media, I can understand why people enjoy Streaming but as I have highlighted so many times in numerous threads NOT everyone as lightning fast internet connection to stream 4K or even Full HD, due to the small country village we live in, we can get 8MB maximum speed, so to download a 4GB file on average takes around 3 hours, yes I can stream Full HD no problem but at times it does buffer and in all honesty is quite annoying and even though as of Spring 2019 its finally been announced Fibre-Optic broadband is available in our village, due to the bundle deal we get with broadband it would be a costly upgrade just to have faster internet connection.

Plus as I have a 7.1 home cinema I do much prefer to enjoy the BEST quality for picture & sound, call me a perfectionist, but I am when it comes to something I enjoy, this is why I want Call the Midwife on Blu-Ray.

I blame people buying DVD’s or blu rays, owning physical media has been a f …I blame people buying DVD’s or blu rays, owning physical media has been a false economy for a long time, taking up space gathering dust and making a huge amount of future plastic waste.

How are buying DVDs and Blu-Rays “a false economy”? You get to physically own a copy of the movie or show that you've bought and it’s yours to keep permanently. With streaming and download services you are reliant on the provider, theoretically in some cases if they were to go out of business you could lose access to your content. With physical media you own the disc, indeed a dvd that I bought say 20 years ago can simply be played on a brand new 4K UHD player, similar to how a vinyl record purchased 40 years ago can still be played on a contemporary turntable today. Some people enjoy building a physical collection, I know that I do but each to their own of course.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 11th Nov
lettherebedeals11/11/2019 07:50

LOL, hey you guys, looks like my thread as attracted a debate, thank you …LOL, hey you guys, looks like my thread as attracted a debate, thank you @ShishaGod for your PM about Google Play, however I see your post as got a debate brewing, I think it was @Biddy2 who highlighted "That is factually incorrect too. HD downloads are not the same quality as a blu ray. Not for audio or image quality unless it’s a pure rip of a Blu-ray without any compression applied" which is very true, which is why in my initial statement I shared I was not looking to stream Call the Midwife, this includes downloading a streamed version & actually to buy every season on Google Play in HD works out more expensive than the Blu-Rays when they are on offer in USA. It is true I do like to buy Physical Media, I can understand why people enjoy Streaming but as I have highlighted so many times in numerous threads NOT everyone as lightning fast internet connection to stream 4K or even Full HD, due to the small country village we live in, we can get 8MB maximum speed, so to download a 4GB file on average takes around 3 hours, yes I can stream Full HD no problem but at times it does buffer and in all honesty is quite annoying and even though as of Spring 2019 its finally been announced Fibre-Optic broadband is available in our village, due to the bundle deal we get with broadband it would be a costly upgrade just to have faster internet connection.Plus as I have a 7.1 home cinema I do much prefer to enjoy the BEST quality for picture & sound, call me a perfectionist, but I am when it comes to something I enjoy, this is why I want Call the Midwife on Blu-Ray.

Honestly, as @fanpages suggested earlier, I’d look into getting yourself a multi-region player at some point. I know from past deals you’ve posted that you’re quite the collector. It really does help in that you don’t ever have these worries again.

Multiregion Magic have some for reasonable prices. They’re a good, reliable company too. I purchased my last player (and others) from them. Some are 4K players with multi-region standard blu ray playback too (although obviously, 4K blu ray is region free across the board). mrmdvd.com/cat…159
Hi. Whilst I cannot help the OP directly (sorry LTBD!) I'd love to know why such a popular, loved TV show WOULDN'T be released here on Blu-ray? What is the benefit (to anyone) for withholding such a thing? I don't really understand why you would cut off a potential area of revenue? Do they not want people's money? I fully understand zoning and licensing issues play a part but if you can buy it on DVD here, why not BR?

If Blu-ray (4K aside) is the popular (physical) format for people to purchase their media in, why would the makers/manufacturers withhold that form from certain countries? Also. is "Call T.M." not native to the UK? I haven't watched it ever but I thought it was a British drama series?

Hope you can get what you want, OP. I can remember a similar issue when I was looking for "Space: Above & Beyond" TV show on DVD. You couldn't get in here either...
Haircut_10011/11/2019 08:38

How are buying DVDs and Blu-Rays “a false economy”? You get to physically o …How are buying DVDs and Blu-Rays “a false economy”? You get to physically own a copy of the movie or show that you've bought and it’s yours to keep permanently. With streaming and download services you are reliant on the provider, theoretically in some cases if they were to go out of business you could lose access to your content. With physical media you own the disc, indeed a dvd that I bought say 20 years ago can simply be played on a brand new 4K UHD player, similar to how a vinyl record purchased 40 years ago can still be played on a contemporary turntable today. Some people enjoy building a physical collection, I know that I do but each to their own of course.

It’s a false economy due to the plastic waste, cost of space used to store these discs and boxes, there’s a change of media type every 10-15 years and people bin their collections creating mountains of plastic that will impact generations to come.
Phsycronix11/11/2019 12:01

Hi. Whilst I cannot help the OP directly (sorry LTBD!) I'd love to know …Hi. Whilst I cannot help the OP directly (sorry LTBD!) I'd love to know why such a popular, loved TV show WOULDN'T be released here on Blu-ray? What is the benefit (to anyone) for withholding such a thing? I don't really understand why you would cut off a potential area of revenue? Do they not want people's money? I fully understand zoning and licensing issues play a part but if you can buy it on DVD here, why not BR?If Blu-ray (4K aside) is the popular (physical) format for people to purchase their media in, why would the makers/manufacturers withhold that form from certain countries? Also. is "Call T.M." not native to the UK? I haven't watched it ever but I thought it was a British drama series?Hope you can get what you want, OP. I can remember a similar issue when I was looking for "Space: Above & Beyond" TV show on DVD. You couldn't get in here either...

It’s the BBC doing what they do best. Screwing everything up. They’ve got better by allowing a lot of shows to be purchased digitally, but when it comes to physical media, they’re way behind their competitors.

Doesn’t help that DVD sales are still very, very strong compared to blu ray though. I think they should have been killed off a few years ago now. (As blu ray players are fairly cheap these days).
Season? Thats Americanisms its SERIES
cmdr_elito11/11/2019 12:48

It’s a false economy due to the plastic waste, cost of space used to store …It’s a false economy due to the plastic waste, cost of space used to store these discs and boxes, there’s a change of media type every 10-15 years and people bin their collections creating mountains of plastic that will impact generations to come.

That is such hyperbole. I think we should be more worried about toys and food packaging than physical discs when it comes to plastic waste. Oh and changing a disc every 10-15 years is so damaging to the planet when we have people buying millions of mobile phones/tablets etc every single year, right?

I still own dvds along with my blu rays and 4K blu rays. Not sure why you think people bin them when they can be given away to charity shops/family or sold on when you upgrade them. That’s creating a false economy for yourself if that’s what you’ve been doing.

It’s a false economy due to the plastic waste, cost of space used to store …It’s a false economy due to the plastic waste, cost of space used to store these discs and boxes, there’s a change of media type every 10-15 years and people bin their collections creating mountains of plastic that will impact generations to come.

So the evolution of technology is a false economy...
Biddy211/11/2019 12:55

It’s the BBC doing what they do best. Screwing everything up. They’ve g …It’s the BBC doing what they do best. Screwing everything up. They’ve got better by allowing a lot of shows to be purchased digitally, but when it comes to physical media, they’re way behind their competitors. Doesn’t help that DVD sales are still very, very strong compared to blu ray though. I think they should have been killed off a few years ago now. (As blu ray players are fairly cheap these days).

Hi Biddy2. Hope you're well. You make a fair point but is that not a paradox? If they don't produce a Blu-ray version, people can't buy them. If people can't buy them, they'll buy the DVD version? Therefore, DVD sales 'look' strong. I would think there is something more 'political' at work here, such as PBS 'demanding' BR or no deal...

I'm going to upset the apple cart now by saying - I love DVD's! I'm not bothered by the trend of wanting to see something in the most pristine, crystal-sharp mega quality. I just want to watch the content, that's all. Just as much pleasure and entertainment - for a fraction of the cost. I can go to a charity store and get 10 DVD's for a quid. And some are recent titles too. Not all golden oldies! I just picked up "Equalizer 1 & 2" boxset for 50p. Upscaled, it looks great. I'll take that as win-win...
Phsycronix11/11/2019 13:09

Hi Biddy2. Hope you're well. You make a fair point but is that not a …Hi Biddy2. Hope you're well. You make a fair point but is that not a paradox? If they don't produce a Blu-ray version, people can't buy them. If people can't buy them, they'll buy the DVD version? Therefore, DVD sales 'look' strong. I would think there is something more 'political' at work here, such as PBS 'demanding' BR or no deal...I'm going to upset the apple cart now by saying - I love DVD's! I'm not bothered by the trend of wanting to see something in the most pristine, crystal-sharp mega quality. I just want to watch the content, that's all. Just as much pleasure and entertainment - for a fraction of the cost. I can go to a charity store and get 10 DVD's for a quid. And some are recent titles too. Not all golden oldies! I just picked up "Equalizer 1 & 2" boxset for 50p. Upscaled, it looks great. I'll take that as win-win...

All good thanks. Hope you are too.

Physical sales declined with blu ray (although they have been better with 4K blu ray) so I guess they just decided it wasn’t worth releasing them on Blu ray without even trying. You also have the issue that some of the BBC’s content isn’t worth releasing on newer higher spec formats due to their (mis)handling of their master prints or how they were filmed. Despite other studios releasing content across Blu ray and DVD, DVD sales have still sold really strongly, so the strong DVD sales is something that has happened across the board to be fair. Without killing off the format (as they did with VHS) it was always going to happen. People are watching standard definition tv channels in 2019 on 4K tvs without bother so it’s not much of a surprise that they are still happy with DVD.

Nothing wrong with sticking with DVD if you’re still happy with it though. You should always buy what you’re happiest with. I still buy DVDs today (mainly tv shows) if they aren’t available on blu ray. I love having the best picture and sound quality that my budget allows, but given the choice between having a HD digital copy vs a standard definition dvd, I’ll go with the DVD. Physical is always better in my opinion what with you risking losing access to your content digitally as @Haircut_100 mentioned earlier. ITunes has been under fire recently for removing access to people’s digital copies because the rights expired from the content owners. Their response was to tell people that they should have downloaded offline copies if they wanted to keep it forever rather than rely on streaming. Our laws really need to catch up with technological advancements today as they are sorely lacking when that can be allowed.
Biddy211/11/2019 13:01

That is such hyperbole. I think we should be more worried about toys …That is such hyperbole. I think we should be more worried about toys and food packaging than physical discs when it comes to plastic waste. Oh and changing a disc every 10-15 years is so damaging to the planet when we have people buying millions of mobile phones/tablets etc every single year, right? I still own dvds along with my blu rays and 4K blu rays. Not sure why you think people bin them when they can be given away to charity shops/family or sold on when you upgrade them. That’s creating a false economy for yourself if that’s what you’ve been doing.

Phones are largely recycled due to the value of their components, plastic packaging does need sorting but then dvd/Blu-ray are wrapped in plastic too....

"People bin their collections". "There's a change of media every 15 years". That's fascinating, it's almost as if you've just plucked random things out of the air to say. Let's break this down bit by bit.

Firstly people don't "bin" their collections. Look at the used Cds, DVDs, vinyl, and games being sold on eBay. Go look at the Music Magpie website. Go walk in to any charity shop where you'll see cds and DVDs on the shelf. Have a browse in CEX. People aren't just getting their DVD's and chucking the entire collection in a skip. There is a big second hand market for these things, so with this point about landfill you are clearly talking nonsense.

Lets carry on and break down the next bit.

"There is a change of media type every 15 years". Let's see, compact discs were first introduced to the UK market in 1983. That's 36 years ago. And guess what, they are still on sale. You can buy them on Amazon. You can buy them in Sainsburys or Tesco whilst doing your weekly shop. I got my first cd player in 1992 and bought my first cds then, which is 27 years ago, and I can still take them off the shelf and play them now. It's the same with DVD's. I can take a disc that I bought in 20 years ago and play in in a 4k UHD player that was made this year. And I also love to shop at CEX and pick me up some moviews on DVD at 50p a time. So your point about things being obsolote in "10-15 years" doesn't really hold up when it comes to cds,DVDs, and vinyl, which has been around in it's present format for around 70 years. But lets move on shall we.

"The cost of space used to store these discs and boxes". Well I keep mine on a couple of IKEA billy bookcases that I think I bought for £55 each, and some I keep in a box in my loft. I think that Amazon keep theirs in their warehouses, and CEX keep theirs on their shelves. This is such a silly point I don't think we need to carry on with this one. I enjoy my physical media and so do many, many others. we appreciate our collections and like to display them. And as for mine, are they gathering dust? Nope, I regularly play my CDs on my hi-fi at home or in my car. My children love to watch their blu-rays on the tv in our living room. They get used, enjoyed and appreciated.
Biddy211/11/2019 13:29

All good thanks. Hope you are too. Physical sales declined with blu …All good thanks. Hope you are too. Physical sales declined with blu ray (although they have been better with 4K blu ray) so I guess they just decided it wasn’t worth releasing them on Blu ray without even trying. You also have the issue that some of the BBC’s content isn’t worth releasing on newer higher spec formats due to their (mis)handling of their master prints or how they were filmed. Despite other studios releasing content across Blu ray and DVD, DVD sales have still sold really strongly, so the strong DVD sales is something that has happened across the board to be fair. Without killing off the format (as they did with VHS) it was always going to happen. People are watching standard definition tv channels in 2019 on 4K tvs without bother so it’s not much of a surprise that they are still happy with DVD. Nothing wrong with sticking with DVD if you’re still happy with it though. You should always buy what you’re happiest with. I still buy DVDs today (mainly tv shows) if they aren’t available on blu ray. I love having the best picture and sound quality that my budget allows, but given the choice between having a HD digital copy vs a standard definition dvd, I’ll go with the DVD. Physical is always better in my opinion what with you risking losing access to your content digitally as @Haircut_100 mentioned earlier. ITunes has been under fire recently for removing access to people’s digital copies because the rights expired from the content owners. Their response was to tell people that they should have downloaded offline copies if they wanted to keep it forever rather than rely on streaming. Our laws really need to catch up with technological advancements today as they are sorely lacking when that can be allowed.

This is pretty embarrassing to admit but I've had a Blu-ray player for quite a few years now - and I own 3 (yes three!) BR movies. I just couldn't see the attraction but that's just me, personally. I know people love all the "extras" and special content but me, I just want to watch the film!

I will buy a Blu-ray if it has a 'not on DVD' quality about it - i.e. "Sucker Punch" BR has the extended version that you can't get on DVD. That's really the only reason. With my old eyes, I don't appreciate this "vast" quality difference and; honestly; I don't need it either. I have found these razor-sharp pictures to be "too" good and feel artificial to me.

You know, I have to say this, you are obviously an intellegent person but you don't half come out with some nonsense sometimes, which i think this thread shows. I'm still laughing at what posted the other day, in the thread about a courier shipping over some dining chairs from Paris to London for £83 and your idea of what they should do instead. "Pay someone in France to pick them up and drive them over"
hotukdeals.com/dis…278
Haircut_10011/11/2019 13:39

"People bin their collections". "There's a change of media every 15 …"People bin their collections". "There's a change of media every 15 years". That's fascinating, it's almost as if you've just plucked random things out of the air to say. Let's break this down bit by bit. Firstly people don't "bin" their collections. Look at the used Cds, DVDs, vinyl, and games being sold on eBay. Go look at the Music Magpie website. Go walk in to any charity shop where you'll see cds and DVDs on the shelf. Have a browse in CEX. People aren't just getting their DVD's and chucking the entire collection in a skip. There is a big second hand market for these things, so with this point about landfill you are clearly talking nonsense. Lets carry on and break down the next bit. "There is a change of media type every 15 years". Let's see, compact discs were first introduced to the UK market in 1983. That's 36 years ago. And guess what, they are still on sale. You can buy them on Amazon. You can buy them in Sainsburys or Tesco whilst doing your weekly shop. I got my first cd player in 1992 and bought my first cds then, which is 27 years ago, and I can still take them off the shelf and play them now. It's the same with DVD's. I can take a disc that I bought in 20 years ago and play in in a 4k UHD player that was made this year. And I also love to shop at CEX and pick me up some moviews on DVD at 50p a time. So your point about things being obsolote in "10-15 years" doesn't really hold up when it comes to cds,DVDs, and vinyl, which has been around in it's present format for around 70 years. But lets move on shall we. "The cost of space used to store these discs and boxes". Well I keep mine on a couple of IKEA billy bookcases that I think I bought for £55 each, and some I keep in a box in my loft. I think that Amazon keep theirs in their warehouses, and CEX keep theirs on their shelves. This is such a silly point I don't think we need to carry on with this one. I enjoy my physical media and so do many, many others. we appreciate our collections and like to display them. And as for mine, are they gathering dust? Nope, I regularly play my CDs on my hi-fi at home or in my car. My children love to watch their blu-rays on the tv in our living room. They get used, enjoyed and appreciated.

It might sound weird but I find there is something almost "spiritual" about the act of selecting an album from the shelf, taking a CD out of the case, popping it in the Hi-Fi and pressing play. I enjoy seeing my collection at a glance, rather than a digital list on a screen. It's a bit like how we can all make a simple cup of tea (albeit you wouldn't want to drink mine!) but the Japanese can turn it into a pure art-form.

It's not just the medium, but the act of using the medium. Like the resurgence in vinyl that we seem to be seeing once more. I never, ever thought that the day would dawn when Tesco's started selling vinyl albums again.

Doh! Now I feel old...
That's odd. I posted a reply to @stevenjameshyde really interesting article he posted here but his comment has been deleted! It seemed quite relevant to our discussion...
Phsycronix11/11/2019 14:17

That's odd. I posted a reply to @stevenjameshyde really interesting …That's odd. I posted a reply to @stevenjameshyde really interesting article he posted here but his comment has been deleted! It seemed quite relevant to our discussion...

I accidentally deleted when I only meant to edit - here's the link again filmstories.co.uk/fea…ay/
That's a very interesting article, stevenjameshyde. Thanks for posting. I don't really know the cost involved in producing a BR disc as opposed to a DVD (I wrongly assumed the process was pretty much the same) but as the retail price can sometimes be so close (I've seen DVD @ £12 and BR @ £15) then I thought most would purchase the BR for added value. I haven't bought a "new" movie for many, many years as A) I'm too tight and, um well - no, actually it's just that!

I didn't consider that the studios would think more people will buy the DVD - so only produce that. Therefore, it reinforces my idea of a self-created paradox. If they don't make it - people can't buy it.
...and the reason for editing was that I actually meant to link to this article on the same site: filmstories.co.uk/fea…ys/
Phsycronix11/11/2019 13:52

It might sound weird but I find there is something almost "spiritual" …It might sound weird but I find there is something almost "spiritual" about the act of selecting an album from the shelf, taking a CD out of the case, popping it in the Hi-Fi and pressing play. I enjoy seeing my collection at a glance, rather than a digital list on a screen. It's a bit like how we can all make a simple cup of tea (albeit you wouldn't want to drink mine!) but the Japanese can turn it into a pure art-form.It's not just the medium, but the act of using the medium. Like the resurgence in vinyl that we seem to be seeing once more. I never, ever thought that the day would dawn when Tesco's started selling vinyl albums again. Doh! Now I feel old...

I absolutely agree with you 100%. My entire cd collection is ripped to my computer and some of the CDs are stored away in boxes but I still reserve some space to dedicate to my favourite albums. I love picking a CD from the shelf, looking at the artwork and browsing the booklet inside as I listen. It makes for a nice listening experience to have something tangible in your hand to appreciate an album. I also like to have my favourites displayed and sorted, I think that real music lovers would understand where we are coming from.

38958220-edYqL.jpg
stevenjameshyde11/11/2019 14:31

...and the reason for editing was that I actually meant to link to this …...and the reason for editing was that I actually meant to link to this article on the same site: https://www.filmstories.co.uk/features/the-quiet-reasons-why-more-companies-may-be-shying-away-from-releasing-blu-rays/

One issue with that article that I’ve found is that it seems focused on the UK only. They mentioned Long Shot not having a release on blu ray, but it does across the pond in America so I’m not sure it’s the production cost reason for the lack of releases here. Same with Patrick. Only released here on dvd but available in America on blu ray. Maybe it’s licensing/lack of box office revenue returns that are really influencing this recent trend?
Biddy211/11/2019 15:24

One issue with that article that I’ve found is that it seems focused on t …One issue with that article that I’ve found is that it seems focused on the UK only. They mentioned Long Shot not having a release on blu ray, but it does across the pond in America so I’m not sure it’s the production cost reason for the lack of releases here. Same with Patrick. Only released here on dvd but available in America on blu ray. Maybe it’s licensing/lack of box office revenue returns that are really influencing this recent trend?

One thing I don't understand is why anyone bothers region-locking any more. Stopping enthusiasts from importing and depriving them of any alternatives just seems like asking for piracy
Phsycronix11/11/2019 13:42

This is pretty embarrassing to admit but I've had a Blu-ray player for …This is pretty embarrassing to admit but I've had a Blu-ray player for quite a few years now - and I own 3 (yes three!) BR movies. I just couldn't see the attraction but that's just me, personally. I know people love all the "extras" and special content but me, I just want to watch the film! I will buy a Blu-ray if it has a 'not on DVD' quality about it - i.e. "Sucker Punch" BR has the extended version that you can't get on DVD. That's really the only reason. With my old eyes, I don't appreciate this "vast" quality difference and; honestly; I don't need it either. I have found these razor-sharp pictures to be "too" good and feel artificial to me.

My mum is the same. She watches the standard definition channels on TV despite having access to the HD variants. She still says she can’t tell the difference. She hates surround sound too. My dad is like me though. He can see what I do. 4K blu ray with HDR changed that when I shown her it. She then saw the difference. Still haven’t convinced her on the surround sound aspect though.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with preferring the older formats for whatever reason though. Cassettes are making a comeback so that proves anything is possible. You do need to check out some 4k hdr content if you get the chance though. I’d be really interested to see if something like Pacific Rim didn’t make you change your mind. (I mention about that a lot on 4K but it really is a visual treat with 4K HDR )

Have to say though (as you mentioned about pictures looking artificial) it really grinds my gears when studios apply a heavy layer of digital noise reduction on their films to remove the film grain. They do it because some people hate seeing film grain despite it actually being a part of a film and it’s looks. This then scrubs films of details which can give that artificial look. Most have avoided using it thus far on 4K blu (as the higher resolution refines it very well and makes it look more natural) but there have still been some offenders recently. Terminator 2 being one of the worst in my opinion. Hot Fuzz also suffered from it too. It’s nasty.
stevenjameshyde11/11/2019 15:34

One thing I don't understand is why anyone bothers region-locking any …One thing I don't understand is why anyone bothers region-locking any more. Stopping enthusiasts from importing and depriving them of any alternatives just seems like asking for piracy

Agreed. Drives me insane. They’re hurting their sales by doing so too. Lionsgate were (still are) terrible for it. Thankfully, 4K blu ray is wiping that out now though. It’s taken far too long to happen.

The staggered releases in 2019 are silly too. We still don’t have films like The Fifth Element and Dredd released here in 4K, yet they’re available in Germany, France and the US. Makes me wonder what kind of red tape our country has that prevents such things. More so when they’re available on older formats too.
Biddy211/11/2019 15:39

My mum is the same. She watches the standard definition channels on TV …My mum is the same. She watches the standard definition channels on TV despite having access to the HD variants.

I hear you there, my friend! Haha. Been there - done that.

P.S. - Loved Pacific Rim. Watched the latest one too. Good but not as good as the first one. I can imagine it must look quite spectacular as it's full of flashy, colour filled effects. I just love movies with robots! Hehe. Big kid at heart. I don't know if you can remember this one (or have even heard of it) but "Robot Jox" is what started my obsession - not "Transformers" funnily enough...
The only good thing about UHD Films is that they are not region locked(but possibly the bluray that usually comes with them is locked). a lot of USA film collectors buy UK 3D films from here because they are not available in 3D in the states. The Film companys want to wake up,they do Know people can stream films now,which makes piracy tempting because the films can't be purchased legally?
Phsycronix11/11/2019 15:47

I hear you there, my friend! Haha. Been there - done that. P.S. - …I hear you there, my friend! Haha. Been there - done that. P.S. - Loved Pacific Rim. Watched the latest one too. Good but not as good as the first one. I can imagine it must look quite spectacular as it's full of flashy, colour filled effects. I just love movies with robots! Hehe. Big kid at heart. I don't know if you can remember this one (or have even heard of it) but "Robot Jox" is what started my obsession - not "Transformers" funnily enough...

I’ve not seen Robot Jox. Just watched a trailer on Youtube and that looks right up my street. Thanks for that. Going to see if I can find it to purchase.

I grew up on Transformers. I still like the new films despite their problems. The film I’m in love with at the moment though is Godzilla: King of the Monsters (the latest one that released this year). I saw it twice at the cinema then bought it on 4K. Have watched it 4 times thus far and it still makes me melt into the chair and feel like a little kid. I’ve been told I have a stupid grin across my face while I’m watching it. I can’t help it. It’s just the soundtrack, the monsters themselves, just everything. Gives me goosebumps every single time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants