Anyone recognises this symbol? Which language is that?

Groups

Top comments
MadeDixonsCry23/10/2019 10:37

Which is quite ironic given that Bhudda is usually depicted as a fat guy.

That's not quite correct. You are probably thinking of Budai, a Chinese monk who used to carry a cloth sack as he wandered around and is always depicted as laughing or smiling with a big fat belly.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…dai

38733617-mui0r.jpg
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 23rd Oct
It's a type of low fat spread
12 Comments
Yeah it means buddha (or God)
Edited by: "CrabLasagne" 23rd Oct
IamMT23/10/2019 10:34

Could be Kanji. What is it on?
premiertkd23/10/2019 10:34

Could be Kanji. What is it on?

Question already answered. It's Chinese according to the wiki link and it means Buddha.
Thank you! Is there anyone who study Chinese or knows any dialect?
MadeDixonsCry23/10/2019 10:37

That's not quite correct. You are probably thinking of Budai, a Chinese monk who used to carry a cloth sack as he wandered around and is always depicted as laughing or smiling with a big fat belly.

en.wikipedia.org/wik…dai

38733617-mui0r.jpg
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 23rd Oct
Haircut_10023/10/2019 12:03

That's not quite correct. You are probably thinking of Budai, a Chinese …That's not quite correct. You are probably thinking of Budai, a Chinese monk who used to carry a cloth sack as he wandered around and is always depicted as laughing or smiling with a big fat belly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai[Image]

I apologise. You are right.
Thanks for the education! That's my knowledge for the day!
MadeDixonsCry23/10/2019 12:20

I apologise. You are right. Thanks for the education! That's my knowledge …I apologise. You are right. Thanks for the education! That's my knowledge for the day!

For many years I too always used to think that the fat laughing guy was Buddha, it's easily done.
Haircut_10023/10/2019 12:03

That's not quite correct. You are probably thinking of Budai, a Chinese …That's not quite correct. You are probably thinking of Budai, a Chinese monk who used to carry a cloth sack as he wandered around and is always depicted as laughing or smiling with a big fat belly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai[Image]

Every day is a learning day
7fink723/10/2019 10:56

Thank you! Is there anyone who study Chinese or knows any dialect? …Thank you! Is there anyone who study Chinese or knows any dialect?

That's a common misconception. Mandarian, Cantonese, Wu, Hokkien and so on are their own languages rather than dialects, just as diverse as French, Spanish and Italian. They all form part of the same Chinese language family, just as French, Spanish and Italian are considered part of the Romance language family.

Although the Chinese government is keen to perpetuate the myth that Mandarin is the only chinese language and the others are nothing but dialects - this is part of the reasons for the tensions in Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants