Anyone recommend a good free email client to replace Windows Outlook.

Found 15th Jan
Hi, sorted out inlaws PC and tried to install Microsoft Office 2002 to get there emails back up. Only issue is that it no longer installs so I either have to run a virtual machine of XP to get it to work or to find a replacement piece of software. I've also found out that Windows Live mail is now gone so I'm pretty much in the same boat now

I've had a quick look and Thunderbird and that doesn't look to bad, has anyone got any insight into good package ?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments
Have you thought of getting office 2016?
I used to use thunderbird. Now I use my phone and gmail
Any reason you can’t use webmail
Thunderbird is OK but does not indigenously support Exchange accounts. If required, Exchange support is available via a paid-for addon. Also, I had issues with it hanging when indexing emails (consequently remedied by turning off the indexer). By far the most feature-rich email client I have experienced is EM Client emclient.com/ but there are restrictions when using the free license, such as limited number of email addresses.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito6 h, 41 m ago

Have you thought of getting office 2016?

Too expensive for us at the moment and also a lot of fake 2nd hand copies on ebay with dubious down links.
Original Poster
Dolphinzz6 h, 25 m ago

I used to use thunderbird. Now I use my phone and gmail

Why did you stop using thunderbird ?
Original Poster
ipswich785 h, 52 m ago

Any reason you can’t use webmail

Always a little iffy with webmail and I tend to keep a lot of emails.
Original Poster
ElliottC3 h, 5 m ago

Thunderbird is OK but does not indigenously support Exchange accounts. If …Thunderbird is OK but does not indigenously support Exchange accounts. If required, Exchange support is available via a paid-for addon. Also, I had issues with it hanging when indexing emails (consequently remedied by turning off the indexer). By far the most feature-rich email client I have experienced is EM Client http://www.emclient.com/ but there are restrictions when using the free license, such as limited number of email addresses.

Hi, EM Client looks like a better option for me and I'll continue to check it out.
Try software for students or somewhere like that.
Also, if using Windows 10, the Windows Mail app is available for use.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito2 h, 41 m ago

Try software for students or somewhere like that.

Used them before for a cheap copy of Windows 7 ultimate but they're expensive for office.
Original Poster
ElliottC1 h, 39 m ago

Also, if using Windows 10, the Windows Mail app is available for use.

Tried that but it's massively stripped compared to even windows live mail.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help.
kester766 h, 26 m ago

Always a little iffy with webmail and I tend to keep a lot of emails.

What's a little iffy with webmail? You can use Gmail as an email client.
kester767 h, 26 m ago

Why did you stop using thunderbird ?

No real reason, I just didn’t install it when I got my new computer because it had it built in (MacBook)
Original Poster
ipswich782 h, 7 m ago

What's a little iffy with webmail? You can use Gmail as an email client.

I'm a shamed to say that we have approximately 8000+ odd emails across 5 accounts. Used to have hotmail as well until Microsoft stopped that.
kester764 h, 4 m ago

I'm a shamed to say that we have approximately 8000+ odd emails across 5 …I'm a shamed to say that we have approximately 8000+ odd emails across 5 accounts. Used to have hotmail as well until Microsoft stopped that.

That shouldn't be an issue with most email clients. Realistically though stop hoarding emails!!! :-)
kester7616th Jan

I'm a shamed to say that we have approximately 8000+ odd emails across 5 …I'm a shamed to say that we have approximately 8000+ odd emails across 5 accounts. Used to have hotmail as well until Microsoft stopped that.

Gmail provides at least 15GB of freebie storage and offers excellent features on every platform including fetching msgs from multiple external mailboxes. That's a reasonable package for zero financial outlay and credible storage. Some peeps shrewdly voluntarily pay pennies/month for additional but unrequired Google storage to enforce a relationship with associated SLA.
ElliottC16th Jan

Thunderbird is OK but does not indigenously support Exchange accounts. If …Thunderbird is OK but does not indigenously support Exchange accounts. If required, Exchange support is available via a paid-for addon. Also, I had issues with it hanging when indexing emails (consequently remedied by turning off the indexer). By far the most feature-rich email client I have experienced is EM Client http://www.emclient.com/ but there are restrictions when using the free license, such as limited number of email addresses.

Thanks. Emclient is excellent and one that actually allowed import from the now defunct windows live mail.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions