Anyone recommend a protein?

Posted 3rd May
I’m a newbie when it comes to protein and weight loss.
My goal is to shift 15-20kg (I’m overweight and this will bring me into the “normal” weight category.
My plan is to start lifting some weights and running 3 times a week using the NHS couch to 5k podcast.
I’m assuming diet whey is the better option?
Not sure if it makes any difference but I’m in my 30s, female.

Any recommendations?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Start with the basics, download myfitnesspal app for calorie tracking and then invest in something like a fitbit to monitor an average burn throughout the day. The key is being in deifcit instead of a protein shake. But if you want to add shakes then myprotein is a cheap option
Worth getting protein shake if using as a meal replacement. PhD diet whey is a good choice but there are cheaper and more basic options.
Personally I wouldn’t use a supplement for what you want - a protein diet will make you shred the fat. replacing meals with shakes will not work for someone like you - why? Because you are overweight and if you can manage to have 20kg of excess fat then you certainly do not have self control over your food for now. Ofcourse this can change but not from being obese to normal - it’s too extreme.
As mentioned above, start with the basics and do not eat rubbish.

Good luck op!
Want to know the only way to loose weight?
Callorie deficit, get in a callorie deficit and you'll lose weight.

Find out your macros and plan your food from there, use a protein powder if you are struggling to hit your macros.
If your struggling to hit your carb macros then buy cns cream of rice.

Also please don't look at bmi btw.

Good luck on journey, don't go down the fat burner route because only 1 or 2 work and they're percentile
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 3rd May
Best thing to do is go for jogging and indoors try do HIIT workout. Only way plus reduce carbs.
rimalpatel00703/05/2020 21:56

Best thing to do is go for jogging and indoors try do HIIT workout. Only …Best thing to do is go for jogging and indoors try do HIIT workout. Only way plus reduce carbs.

Reducing carbs doesn't equal fat loss, calorie deficit does
Hi firstly well done in your first steps towards your goal of weight loss. Diet whey i would not recommend, its more marketing than effective. My advice is to find a TDEE calculator (google) or DM me and put in your measurements and it will let you know how many calories you would require to meet your goals. Personally I would add a good quality protein due to the benefits of protein when trying to lose fat, unless you can source your protein via other ways I.e beef, chicken, fish etc.
Keep it simple to start, find out how many calories per day to lose weight, hit those each day, repeat. Once you get used to dieting, then start to track your ‘macros’ fat, protein, carbohydrates.
Good luck with your journey
Protein shakes aren't necessarily required as you can acquire the right amount of protein from the correct diet.
It's best to download an app such as myfitnesspal and track your calories/macros to begin with
However, if you look on Amazon, bulk powders 2kg bag tends to be pretty cheap on offer in comparison to their official site or other brand like myprotein.
I would recommend bulk powders or myprotein, especially for the price you can get their products
Don't waste money on protein powders.

They are supplements to supplement a crap diet.

If you are wanting to lose weight then you'll want to eat all the food you can while remaining under your daily calorie goal and not waste those precious calories on a supplement.

If you want to up your protein, eat more meat and less carbs.

The protein or any supplement market is not needed by 95% of exercising people and this is coming from someone that used to workout 5 days per week.

I started couch to 5k this week and looking to shed my last 20 or so lbs, best of luck! PM me if you have any questions.

Some good reading for weight loss can be found at old.reddit.com/r/loseit
Edited by: "PenguinsForAll" 4th May
PenguinsForAll04/05/2020 08:01

Don't waste money on protein powders.They are supplements to supplement a …Don't waste money on protein powders.They are supplements to supplement a crap diet.If you are wanting to lose weight then you'll want to eat all the food you can while remaining under your daily calorie goal and not waste those precious calories on a supplement. If you want to up your protein, eat more meat and less carbs.The protein or any supplement market is not needed by 95% of exercising people and this is coming from someone that used to workout 5 days per week.I started couch to 5k this week and looking to shed my last 20 or so lbs, best of luck! PM me if you have any questions. Some good reading for weight loss can be found at old.reddit.com/r/loseit

So I've got a crap diet? "supplement market is not needed by 95% of exercising people"

I'm sure that is definitely fact and definitely not opinions and misconceptions.

So to get 5g of creatine from a diet you'd have to eat 1.1kg of beef a day which costs alot more than getting some cheap creapure, also ridiculous boring putting away 500g never mind 1.1kg.

Don't paint the industry with the same brush, not everyone is a con artist.

You worked out 5 times a week? Congrats on doing what's normal ,
Edited by: "Jordan_Taylor" 4th May
Jordan_Taylor04/05/2020 08:16

So I've got a crap diet? "supplement market is not needed by 95% of …So I've got a crap diet? "supplement market is not needed by 95% of exercising people"I'm sure that is definitely fact and definitely not opinions and misconceptions. So to get 5g of creatine from a diet you'd have to eat 1.1kg of beef a day which costs alot more than getting some cheap creapure, also ridiculous boring putting away 500g never mind 1.1kg.Don't paint the industry with the same brush, not everyone is a con artist. You worked out 5 times a week? Congrats on doing what's normal ,

For the average person supplements aren't needed at all. Especially for those that are wanting to lose weight.

Depending on your goals/seriousness you could of course be part of the 5% that can actually get some benefit from supplements instead of just using them to fix a broken diet. E.g if you are jacked to the t*ts and are bored of consuming 200g+ of protein each day.

Creatine can benefit everyone that exercises but again, it's not needed especially for the average person.

Average being maybe 3 days per week at the gym. 5 days lifting per week is definitely not the normal.

Too many people are in false belief that you need to start taking protein shakes and all sorts of crap when changing lifestyle/joining a gym thanks to marketing of the supplement industry.

When in reality they just need to fix diet (lose/gain weight) and then it comes down to consistency for both diet & exercise in order to get results.

The supplement industry contains a lot more than just protein & creatine!
PenguinsForAll04/05/2020 09:00

For the average person supplements aren't needed at all. Especially for …For the average person supplements aren't needed at all. Especially for those that are wanting to lose weight.Depending on your goals/seriousness you could of course be part of the 5% that can actually get some benefit from supplements instead of just using them to fix a broken diet. E.g if you are jacked to the t*ts and are bored of consuming 200g+ of protein each day.Creatine can benefit everyone that exercises but again, it's not needed especially for the average person.Average being maybe 3 days per week at the gym. 5 days lifting per week is definitely not the normal.Too many people are in false belief that you need to start taking protein shakes and all sorts of crap when changing lifestyle/joining a gym thanks to marketing of the supplement industry.When in reality they just need to fix diet (lose/gain weight) and then it comes down to consistency for both diet & exercise in order to get results.The supplement industry contains a lot more than just protein & creatine!

I know the supplement industry is more than creative and protein.. I know it very very well .

Creatine is great for those who don't train even, don't know a valid argument saying why not to use it.

OP also says she's taking up strength training and cardio.

i was using it as an example to show your 95% number is pulled from the air and based on opinions and misconceptions.

I agree, only way to loose weight is a callorie deficit. (keto people will start to froth at that thought).
Well done on your goal to losing weight - you have done the first step which is have a goal and I wish you every success in achieving it.

Anyone I would avoid the meal replacement shakes, it would be a massive shock to your body my only advice is simple really:

Eat Less
Exercise More

Don't fret about smart gadgets and stuff. Walk, jog, run to each lampost is great!

All the best
Edited by: "Personator1234" 4th May
Personator123404/05/2020 09:24

Well done on your goal to losing weight - you have done the first step …Well done on your goal to losing weight - you have done the first step which is have a goal and I wish you every success in achieving it.Anyone I would avoid the shakes, it would be a massive shock to your body my only advice is simple really:Eat LessExercise MoreDon't fret about smart gadgets and stuff. Walk, jog, run to each lampost is great!All the best

No it wouldn't be a shock to the system, the body doesn't get scared because of some increased protein.

Big difference between meal replacement and protein shakes to supplement a diet.
Jordan_Taylor03/05/2020 20:25

Want to know the only way to loose weight?Callorie deficit, get in a …Want to know the only way to loose weight?Callorie deficit, get in a callorie deficit and you'll lose weight.Find out your macros and plan your food from there, use a protein powder if you are struggling to hit your macros.If your struggling to hit your carb macros then buy cns cream of rice.Also please don't look at bmi btw.Good luck on journey, don't go down the fat burner route because only 1 or 2 work and they're percentile

Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions