Anyone recommend a "Random name picker"

Found 29th Mar 2016
Hi guys, I'm running a competition on Facebook & looking for a Windows app that will allow me to enter no less than 300 names for the draw.
I've found a couple of good apps,but they hold only a few names.

Any help more than welcome..............

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
35 Comments

Assign each one a number and use a random number generator.

Original Poster

fivegoldstars

Assign each one a number and use a random number generator.

Can you recommend one & I can do it that way as a last option if it will accept numbers over 300.

I'd suggest that you just order the names and use a random number generator to choose the place in the list. Personally, I use a spreadsheet function as I regularly do a random draw, but this should do the job for you: random.org/int…rs/

WheresMeNuts

Can you recommend one & I can do it that way as a last option if it will … Can you recommend one & I can do it that way as a last option if it will accept numbers over 300.

Yeah...that one ^

Original Poster

Illusionary

I'd suggest that you just order the names and use a random number … I'd suggest that you just order the names and use a random number generator to choose the place in the list. Personally, I use a spreadsheet function as I regularly do a random draw, but this should do the job for you: https://www.random.org/integers/

I was hoping that it would spin or have a box or something running around all the numbers then slowing down to a stop & it would be that number it stops on as the winner ?

WheresMeNuts

I was hoping that it would spin or have a box or something running around … I was hoping that it would spin or have a box or something running around all the numbers then slowing down to a stop & it would be that number it stops on as the winner ?

I think you need to build yourself one of these...
http://cdn3-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2009/03/wheelofortune4.jpg

WheresMeNuts

I was hoping that it would spin or have a box or something running around … I was hoping that it would spin or have a box or something running around all the numbers then slowing down to a stop & it would be that number it stops on as the winner ?

Nothing that fancy here, I'm afraid. What are you thinking that you might need this for?
Edited by: "Illusionary" 29th Mar 2016

Original Poster

fivegoldstars

I think you need to build yourself one of these...

You maybe right lol.
Someone must have made a random name picker that will pick a name from hundreds.

WheresMeNuts

You maybe right lol.Someone must have made a random name picker that will … You maybe right lol.Someone must have made a random name picker that will pick a name from hundreds.

Is there a reason why the random number method that we've suggested here wouldn't be suitable?

Also, bear in mind that for 300+ names, a graphical representation isn't likely to be overly useful.

Original Poster

Illusionary

Is there a reason why the random number method that we've suggested here … Is there a reason why the random number method that we've suggested here wouldn't be suitable?Also, bear in mind that for 300+ names, a graphical representation isn't likely to be overly useful.

I'm wanting to record the draw & upload it to facebook for all group members to see.

Original Poster

This is the best one by far,but does not do enough names.........

classtools.net/ran…4jH

Do you need to show it? As [url=class tools.net] fruit machine or spinning wheel [/url]

WheresMeNuts

This is the best one by far,but does not do enough … This is the best one by far,but does not do enough names.........http://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/85_8PF4jH

Is it just that you need to be able to 'prove' the result? If so, how about this: randomresult.com/tic…php

Again, you're not likely to find a useful graphical representation of a draw from this size of population.

Original Poster

tri_94

Do you need to show it? As [url=class tools.net] fruit machine or … Do you need to show it? As [url=class tools.net] fruit machine or spinning wheel [/url]

Yes I would like to record it, just to prove it's an honest competition.

You could publish a locked Google spreadsheet to show the allocated number.
Then use a random number generator.
Alternatively, use the printer at work. Print a name per sheet of A4, fold them all up and then video a glamorous assistant doing a draw. Have a TV in the back ground with the news running and a window outside to show the time and relevancy of the period it fell in the day.

Better yet, if your supplying the prize and doing all the work. Just say judges decision is final and if you don't like it **** off.

edit: Didn't realiser bug was a **** entry
Edited by: "Oneday77" 29th Mar 2016

Original Poster

Oneday77

You could publish a locked Google spreadsheet to show the allocated … You could publish a locked Google spreadsheet to show the allocated number. Then use a random number generator. Alternatively, use the printer at work. Print a name per sheet of A4, fold them all up and then video a glamorous assistant doing a draw. Have a TV in the back ground with the news running and a window outside to show the time and relevancy of the period it fell in the day.

I was going to split the page with Sky news & the draw on my PC & record it with my phone & then upload it :-/
I may just have you type them all out cut them & draw from a bag,but it's way more boring lol.

WheresMeNuts

Yes I would like to record it, just to prove it's an honest competition.

Did you see the suggestion in my post just above yours?

Try this randomresult.com/pic…php

I'll look to see if I can find the thing I use for my Christmas comp. I Just assign a number to a name like someone suggested.

Oneday77

Better yet, if your supplying the prize and doing all the work. Just say … Better yet, if your supplying the prize and doing all the work. Just say judges decision is final and if you don't like it **** off. edit: Didn't realiser bug was a **** entry

^^ This. Beggars can't be moaners. Summat like that.

Original Poster

Illusionary

Did you see the suggestion in my post just above yours?

Yes,but not what I'm looking for.

deeky

Try this http://www.randomresult.com/pick.phpI'll look to see if I can … Try this http://www.randomresult.com/pick.phpI'll look to see if I can find the thing I use for my Christmas comp. I Just assign a number to a name like someone suggested.

This is much better & I just stuck in 92 names & it worked.Much better & will keep it in my Favs & use if i can't get one that runs around the names instead of just popping up all at once.

Oh, looks like I should have read the whole thread first X)

This is much better & I just stuck in 92 names & it worked.Much better & … This is much better & I just stuck in 92 names & it worked.Much better & will keep it in my Favs & use if i can't get one that runs around the names instead of just popping up all at once.

Ah, maybe it wasn't a waste of time after all
Edited by: "deeky" 29th Mar 2016

Original Poster

deeky

Oh, looks like I should have read the whole thread first X)Ah, maybe it … Oh, looks like I should have read the whole thread first X)Ah, maybe it wasn't a waste of time after all

Like this one classtools.net/ran…4jH

Original Poster

Off tae Beddies guys,night & thanks for the help.

WheresMeNuts

Like this one http://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/85_8PF4jH

Yay! That's exactly what you wanted ain't it?

deeky

Yay! That's exactly what you wanted ain't it?

Still not read the whole thread? It doesn't do the 300+ names that WheresMeNuts is looking for, unfortunately.

The only trouble is that you can never prove that it's a fair draw. Even if you could record that wheel, there's no way to prove that the winner wasn't picked and recorded on the 53rd try. Bottom line is, if you're giving the prize, or whatever it is, then they just have to take your word for it.
Edited by: "deeky" 29th Mar 2016

Illusionary

Still not read the whole thread? It doesn't do the 300+ names that … Still not read the whole thread? It doesn't do the 300+ names that WheresMeNuts is looking for, unfortunately.

X) He could do it 6 times and put the 6 winners into the final spin

deeky

X) He could do it 6 times and put the 6 winners into the final spin

Yeah, that's a decent suggestion.

You and Oneday77 are right, though, "trust me" is the best approach, I reckon.

hi . I am a part-time freelance random name generator . Alphabetically listing I suggest Agnes Archibald Aloysius Bertram bathsheba Claude capability Deuteronomy Digby Ebenezer ethelred euphemia egbert . Shall I go on ?
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 30th Mar 2016

Recording it to show it's a genuine draw still doesn't prove that. I had similar and had someone moaning "how I we know that was the first draw? Maybe you repeated it until you got the result you were happy with and uploaded that version" I agree with above just state decision is final etc. x

^^^^whoops didn't see Deeky had already made that point. I shouldn't come on here til I'm fully awake x
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions