Anyone recommend a shower head and hose to increase pressure?

Found 20th Mar 2015
Used to have a power shower in my old house and the pressure in my new home is pitiful compared to it - can anyone recommend something that would help?
Community Updates
AskHose
17 Comments
A shower head won't increase pressure, it will maybe give the illusion.

It depends on what type of system you have, I'm guessing combi boiler?

Comment

moob

A shower head won't increase pressure, it will maybe give the illusion. … A shower head won't increase pressure, it will maybe give the illusion. It depends on what type of system you have, I'm guessing combi boiler?

That's right, all plumbed in behind the wall.
you need a pressure regulator valve installed next to your stopcock to increase the pressure.
Get a Plumbers free advice and estimate!
generaloneill

you need a pressure regulator valve installed next to your stopcock to … you need a pressure regulator valve installed next to your stopcock to increase the pressure.

A standard pressure regulating valve is used to reduce the pressure, it cannot increase it.
Is it the cold as well as hot pressure that is poor? if so think of a shower pump or whole house pump, if cold is good get a recommended plumber in to investigate as it could be a simple fix.

Delbert Grady

A standard pressure regulating valve is used to reduce the pressure, it … A standard pressure regulating valve is used to reduce the pressure, it cannot increase it.

I don't know how it works, I have one, it works. I never asked the plumber.
scms

Is it the cold as well as hot pressure that is poor? if so think of a … Is it the cold as well as hot pressure that is poor? if so think of a shower pump or whole house pump, if cold is good get a recommended plumber in to investigate as it could be a simple fix.

isn't hot water coming from the tank, and cold water from the mains supply though?
What flow rate do you get currently?
You can buy bigger bore (11/12mm) shower hose pipes which made a big difference on my gravity system shower. Standard shop bought sets are only about 8mm. Look on ebay for them.

You cannot put a pump on a combi supplied shower, it may help to turn the water temperature down at the boiler to give more flow but colder water (it does not need to be that hot for a shower).
I had this problem with pressure because I had a combi boiler. I fitted a small shower head. This makes the water come out faster so feels like the pressure has increased compared to a large shower head. Only a few pounds from B & Q.
Just a thought, have you got low pressure anywhere else in the house?
I have this, and it works, not a cheap,fix though. Your combi boiler has to be able to handle the pressure though.
Edited by: "Lyrrad" 21st Mar 2015
Thanks guys, water pressure is fine round house - it's just because I'm used to a power shower. The shower in new house is actually fine it's just I want to increase it a bit (I meant its pitiful compared to the old one).

As an aside the hot tap in bath isn't hot enough for the Mrs so I might have my mate (who's a plumber) in to look at both.

I was really looking for recommendations for a hose and head which will give the illusion of higher pressure.
It's maybe a low capacity boiler, they all have different outputs.

Some of the cheaper ones do 11L/min and others do 17L/min hot water output. Obviously the higher output would give you more flow rate through the shower.

Your boiler may be set at an economy rate, so your plumber mate could resolve this.
This is why I moved away from a combi boiler to an unvented tank. I can now run a bath in under a minute. Lovely stuff.
For a single step, you could try an Aqualisa shower hose - not cheap, but wide bore - not sure if their shower heads would be the best as an addition - we have a gravity fed Aqualisa system - only boosted by raising the tank on a platform in the loft, which makes quite a difference to the head in an upstairs room.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqualisa-164516-aqualisa-shower-chrome/dp/B004SOCE5S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427064279&sr=8-2&keywords=aqualisa+shower+heads
Cheaper than when we had to replace the many years old one - and the guy at the shop showed us the difference, as I was deciding whether to get the Aqualisa or go on to Argos for a cheap one, so he got a cheap one out and showed how much difference there was in the bore.
Edited by: "matth9999" 22nd Mar 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions