Anyone recommend a VPN?

Found 15th Jul 2015
I haven't been using one for a couple of months (Cyberghost) so have been torrenting just TV shows, but you know that is a bit limiting. Also the cyberghost client upgrade didn't work too well for me so I didn't go back...but anyhow and recomendations for VPN with a view to P2P with a simple VPN 'client' (simple in use and lite on PC resources).

Was going through this...
torrentfreak.com/ano…28/
but decided to ask here anyway.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
29 Comments

private internet access is really good, beats the free ones and not so free ones hands down, download speeds are really good and using it right now on phone and ipad when away with work

I use these guys, nice and simple £3 a month roughly and no logs kept whatsoever.

proxy.sh/

Cyberghost Premium works for me.

Zenmate?

Highly recommend private internet access

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

For the PIA users aren't you bothered by it being on US soil - Home of the most vehement anti-piracy groups on the planet? It bothers me they could raid them and get 'live' data somehow. I remember reading someone getting stung because they were using a proxy based in the USA (can't remember details tho).

Redcantona just looked at Zenmate web really quickly and says its the best choice for your browser. I don't think its a true VPN that applies itself to ALL your internet traffic such as Vuze etc. Seen people make this mistake before on ET using a browser plugin thinking it also appies itself to their torrents.

Cyber ghost Premium is quite ok for me, but I'll keep an eye on here to know if there are better providers

Original Poster

fredimaxi

Cyber ghost Premium is quite ok for me, but I'll keep an eye on here to … Cyber ghost Premium is quite ok for me, but I'll keep an eye on here to know if there are better providers

Just signed up with Slick fwiw. £20 for the year. All traffic allowed. Lots of data centres. Actually here is a c n p of my final notes...

Slick VPN
$29 142 cities in 46 countries.
1. SlickVPN does not log any traffic nor session data of any kind.
2. We operate a complex business structure with multiple layers of Offshore Holding Companies, Subsidiary Holding Companies, and finally some Operating Companies to help protect our interests. We will not disclose the exact hierarchy of our corporate structures, but will say the main marketing entity for our business is based in the United States of America and an operational entity is based out of Nevis.
5. If a valid DMCA complaint is received while the offending connection is still active, we stop the session and notify the active user of that session, otherwise we are unable to act on any complaint as we have no way of tracking down the user. It is important to note that we ALMOST NEVER receive a VALID DMCA complaint while a user is still in an active session.
6. Our customer’s privacy is of top most importance to us. We are required to comply with all valid court orders. We would proceed with the court order with complete transparency, but we have no data to provide any court in any jurisdiction. We would not rule out relocating our businesses to a new jurisdiction if required.
8. Yes, all traffic is allowed.

Only thing I'm iffy about is the USA link. But looking at other services without USA connections they don't seem so good for server variety or price.
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 11th Aug 2015

to add to my earlier post getting 70 to 90mb download speeds with PIA, with others less than 10, worth paying for a year with PIA and you can use it on 5 devices

Original Poster

eslick

to add to my earlier post getting 70 to 90mb download speeds with PIA, … to add to my earlier post getting 70 to 90mb download speeds with PIA, with others less than 10, worth paying for a year with PIA and you can use it on 5 devices

LOL well lets see. Already confused as in My Account there are two different VPNs mentioned so had to open a ticket to find out which I'm supposed to be using! (OpenVPN or SlickVPN).

My speedtest max DL is only around 13 anyway.

Original Poster

Asking for 100% refund. Not pitched at my level at all.

eslick

to add to my earlier post getting 70 to 90mb download speeds with PIA, … to add to my earlier post getting 70 to 90mb download speeds with PIA, with others less than 10, worth paying for a year with PIA and you can use it on 5 devices

Impressive speeds !

Which server are you using ?, I can't get anywhere near those speeds so I think I will have to recheck my settings !

TIA

Original Poster

Refund pending in Paypal account. Impressive speeds.

Bingstroller

Impressive speeds !Which server are you using ?, I can't get anywhere … Impressive speeds !Which server are you using ?, I can't get anywhere near those speeds so I think I will have to recheck my settings !TIA

Turkey seems the quickest at the moment, used Southampton, Netherlands, U.S and Russia speeds were ok with those but was shocked when i did a speedtest on Turkey.

If you use the vpn on an iPad it works best downloading openvpn rather than their app

Edited by: "eslick" 12th Aug 2015

HMA is good

Original Poster

I forgot to ask this. When I had cyberghost I tried to get on netflix, but instead got a page saying I was using some sort of anonymity service and I needed to close the service to connect. Was that normal for them to detect my VPN?

looking for a good vpn to mask my kodi sessions. Heard good things about PIA. been using zenmate so far as it free and works well enough. I just need a vpn to mask the sites im going on for kodi purposes as oppose to watching geo locked locations. might try PIA. anyone know any others?

Original Poster

eslick

private internet access is really good, beats the free ones and not so … private internet access is really good, beats the free ones and not so free ones hands down, download speeds are really good and using it right now on phone and ipad when away with work

I am considering this one now but want to show you what finally had me bail from Slick. It says protected but a DNS leak possible. When I googled what I should do according to this message the articles said I should know what numbers I'm going to input for a new address (errr what? oO) and if I didn't know I should ask my ISP for the numbers. Anyway I would have thought the VPN would have the ability to rule out a DNS leak itself without me having to ask my ISP about things I don't understand. Cyberghost certainly didn't say there was possible leaks and PIA say DNS leak protection (Advanced) alluding to (?) their VPN ruling out DNS leaks. Would the PIA VPN be a simple install, chose server and job done and nothing happening like this...?

http://113.imagebam.com/download/wsOFti3fTcntGqi9TY0Slg/43009/430087477/morecrap.png

I noticed btw a big difference in PIA claims regarding servers and the link reddit posted. PIA web says "20+ Countries 31+ Regions 2862+ Servers (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/) while reddit link says "The website says the PIA network covers 18 countries with more than 2911 gateways. Not sure what they exactly mean by “gateways” but when I checked the server list in the PIA client I can see 18 countries with 9 servers in the USA, and two in the UK, Canada and Australia. Everywhere else there is one server per country.". PIA do only have a single listing for say Switzerland but claim 71 servers rather than the single server noted in the Review link. Confused!

Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 19th Aug 2015

the PIA software is easy to use on a laptop a little more difficult on Apple devices as its best to use openvpn rather than their app, you just click to switch it on then chose which server to go through. if you want to see all of the servers google pia ipad set up and it will show you a link to all of the countries servers, at work at the moment and our systems wont let me through to pia sites. haven't seen any of the messages about leaks. think there is a free trial out there but could be wrong.

Original Poster

eslick

the PIA software is easy to use on a laptop a little more difficult on … the PIA software is easy to use on a laptop a little more difficult on Apple devices as its best to use openvpn rather than their app, you just click to switch it on then chose which server to go through. if you want to see all of the servers google pia ipad set up and it will show you a link to all of the countries servers, at work at the moment and our systems wont let me through to pia sites. haven't seen any of the messages about leaks. think there is a free trial out there but could be wrong.

Hi been sick as a dog . Will do that. Was a bit reluctant to install because I don't like to install /uninstall stuff unnecessarily and then also run the risk of not getting my money back if I don't like the service.

Original Poster

Actually still sick as a dog.

PIA, based in the USA?

Original Poster

EN1GMA

PIA, based in the USA?

Yup. The USA Based thing is the thing I'm cautious about. I wouldn't be using USA Canadian or UK servers for P2P tho and I'm unsure what the deal is if say in USA MPAA wanted my IP, in the UK, from using a Netherland server, owned and run by a USA company If the data existed anyway.
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 21st Aug 2015

Meathotukdeals

Yup. The USA Based thing is the thing I'm cautious about. I wouldn't be … Yup. The USA Based thing is the thing I'm cautious about. I wouldn't be using USA Canadian or UK servers for P2P tho and I'm unsure what the deal is if say in USA MPAA wanted my IP, in the UK, from using a Netherland server, owned and run by a USA company If the data existed anyway.

anything owned by a USA company, the USA authorities have total jurisdiction, regardless of where any physical servers are held. so a USA companies server in Holland provides no protection. having said that, lets be honest, the USA can probably get any info they want from any country regardless of any formal agreements or not.

Original Poster

EN1GMA

anything owned by a USA company, the USA authorities have total … anything owned by a USA company, the USA authorities have total jurisdiction, regardless of where any physical servers are held. so a USA companies server in Holland provides no protection. having said that, lets be honest, the USA can probably get any info they want from any country regardless of any formal agreements or not.

Well thanks for clearing that up. It was this that made me think what I did "2. Perfect Privacy is a community of interests with a postal address in New Zealand. However, our servers are operated in accordance with the law of the respective countries they are located in". (from https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/2/).

Now not too sure again about using a USA based VPN!

There is one thing tho. Not been torrenting for over a month and not really missed it. But I'm expecting new series of The Flash, Arrow, Marvels Agents of SHIELD etc to come autumn so got to get one in the end.

Won't be using ET's own VPN as that lot, I don't trust with my info.
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 21st Aug 2015

Original Poster

Tried Shadeyou. Which seemed Ok apart from a few niggles and unanswered questions but then I saw their refund policy and don't want to be dealing with people like that. Soooo ended up as a toss-up between PIA and ibVPN till I saw an review on bestvpn.com/ saying ibVPN speeds have a history of falling back to speeds where even webpages would time out. PIA also claim to route client ip's through the same IP too (altho I saw a few reviws saying "FBI came to my door" trolls or competitors *shrugs shoulders*). Anyway gone with PIA late last night. Lets see.

For the HMA person I also read on torrentfreak.com they keep logs for 90 days! oO
Edited by: "Meathotukdeals" 6th Sep 2015

Original Poster

Looking for myself in qBittorent's peer list (just to make sure of my ID in there) and I'm not showing. Any client that does show your own IP in the peerlist? Because what is bugging me is this: Normally when I've used a VPN in task manager I've seen two network graphs and they show the same bandwith utilisation pattern but generally the scaling is different say using 2.5% on one chart and 12% on the other. Right now with PIA both charts are exactly the same scale. Unless PIA is very different bandwith wise.

Original Poster

Busy bee today on here!

OK I found this page here. It purports to show you the IP you have showing inside your torrent client. It shows this on a webpage. Dunno if it does actually work but showed my torrent client and proxy server address so its looking like PIA is working according to that. Now I know that it seems PIA is not really limiting my bandwith the way other proxies have (as far as my wired connection goes).

EDIT: For some reason now the bandwith scale has changed by itself to my normal view where one scale is maxing around 2.5% and the other is maxing around 12.5%. I guess the higher percent, as always, is the VPN's bandwith.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants