Groups

Anyone savvy on bike racks??

Looking to get a bike rack for up to three bikes to do a bit of trailing in the summer. Seen one or two on ebay but not really too sure about what I'm buying! Don't want to buy something cheap then find they all fall off on the motorway!

I've got an '05 VW Golf mk IV 3 door..

Any suggestions?

8 Comments

I dont know about your car or what one to get for it, but be careful if its for 3 bikes, as I got one for my OH's Clio which was for 3 bikes and TBH I wish i had got a bigger one, as getting a 3rd bike on there would be very difficult and even with just 2 bikes on there (2 full size mountain bikes) they rub and scratch on certain places where you have to pull them on so tight. If i could go back now i would get one that went on the roof of the car, so they are not pulled together so tight.

Original Poster

Chuckles1001

I dont know about your car or what one to get for it, but be careful if … I dont know about your car or what one to get for it, but be careful if its for 3 bikes, as I got one for my OH's Clio which was for 3 bikes and TBH I wish i had got a bigger one, as getting a 3rd bike on there would be very difficult and even with just 2 bikes on there (2 full size mountain bikes) they rub and scratch on certain places where you have to pull them on so tight. If i could go back now i would get one that went on the roof of the car, so they are not pulled together so tight.

ahh, thanks for that!

Banned

For 3 bikes I'd only use a towbar mounted rack.

Banned

Bacon....you need to know the individual weight of each bike so you can work out the combined weight and see if the carrier is rated for that weight.

Chuckles1001

I dont know about your car or what one to get for it, but be careful if … I dont know about your car or what one to get for it, but be careful if its for 3 bikes, as I got one for my OH's Clio which was for 3 bikes and TBH I wish i had got a bigger one, as getting a 3rd bike on there would be very difficult and even with just 2 bikes on there (2 full size mountain bikes) they rub and scratch on certain places where you have to pull them on so tight. If i could go back now i would get one that went on the roof of the car, so they are not pulled together so tight.

souljacker

These are very … These are very good:http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?pc=2&pt=59&pg=2490

Your welcome

This is the type i have and I would not buy it again for more then 1 bike, just because I got really annoyed that after the jouneys i had a rubbed paint on 2 places on my nice new very well looked after bike

Two bar mounted ones are pretty good - we have a Pendle 4 bike tow bar one - they're a bit pricey though. The Thule 3 bike carrier might be worth a look.
    Don't forget to check on ebay - its the kind of thing people sell when clearing out their garage....or the kids leave home
    Edited by: "gari189" 7th Feb 2011

Banned

Chuckles... Bit late now, but people put helicopter tape on the rubbing points of the bike frame to safeguard against this happening
    Edited by: "slamdunkin" 7th Feb 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851338
      2. Lets hope that there are as few injuries as possible - Parson's Green40210
      3. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…11
      4. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109

See more discussions