Anyone sign up for the free Virgin Media Partners SIM - contact your bank urgently

Posted 31st Aug 2019
Usually I'm quite wary but that Virgin Media Partners SIM (virginmediapartners.com) deal website looked quite genuine and I fell for it and placed the order. Shortly after reading the comments I thought it was fraud so dug a bit deeper. The domain has all it's privacy settings turned on (not what you'd expect from Virgin Media), the telephone number in the welcome email doesn't exist, and then I rang Virgin to check if they'd received the order and turns out the order number format doesn't even match, but they still checked against my address and confirmed there was no record of any orders for me.

Currently on the phone with the bank trying to get it all resolved but seems to be a case of identity phishing.

Just finished with the bank - they're saying not to worry because they can't do much with the details collected. Need to be wary of any inbound phonecalls from someone claiming to be from Virgin, or HMRC or similar calling and wanting to confirm identity with either more personally identifying information, or card details etc. Make sure you don't say anything and if you suspect it might be genuine then hang up and call them back on a trusted number.

Pretty elaborate setup, they've gone out of their way to make it look legit and even got the broadband availability checker working - I tried my mates address who can't get it and it correctly came up saying it's not available.

Even with the advice above, I think it's best if you contact your bank and take it from there.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

21 Comments
Gotta be in it to win it....when I followed the link I saw someone else's details so decided to give it a miss.
Hey did your online order reference begin with VM and end in 3371? I called the number 0800 9522298 in the email I received and it rang so not sure what to think?
OzBoy31/08/2019 20:26

Hey did your online order reference begin with VM and end in 3371? I …Hey did your online order reference begin with VM and end in 3371? I called the number 0800 9522298 in the email I received and it rang so not sure what to think?

It starts the same, but has different digits at the end. I Googled the 0800 number and didn't find anything much on - no real association with Virgin Media, and didn't want to call it in case it was registered by the scammers. Instead I rang Virgin Media direct on the number from their website and spoke to an advisor who told me that the order number isn't in a recognised format, and that they have no record of an order from myself. My bank also confirmed that there was no direct debit setup or other related activity on my account.

If you're going to hold out to see if it's honoured, please be careful and take note of the advice given by the bank regarding incoming calls.
Is this about a deal posted on HUKD?
The website is a legitimate one, it’s used by virgin to sell services through partners, we used it a few years ago through a offer site we get through work called rewardsgateway and it links you to that site today still. From what I remember they have a dedicated team that deals with it all.
Edited by: "eslick" 1st Sep 2019
eslick31/08/2019 23:56

The website is a legitimate one, it’s used by virgin to sell services t …The website is a legitimate one, it’s used by virgin to sell services through partners, we used it a few years ago through a offer site we get through work called rewardsgateway and it links you to that site today still. From what I remember they have a dedicated team that deals with it all.

Thanks, that sounds reassuring. I’ve done everything I can so guess its a case of wait and see what happens. Will post any updates here
You have to question the security of the website though. Just as michaels pointed out, I was able to see someone else's full name, email address, postal address, DOB, employment status, mobile number, landline number, sort code and bank account number.

Also, by changing the numbers in the web link I was able to see another person's personal details.

Very dodgy.
Edited by: "karlie88" 1st Sep 2019
OzBoy01/09/2019 00:15

Yes it is.

No surprise seeing as this week with people willing to go through websites like 'Three Clearance' passing themselves off as official websites, with dodgy links to deals that bypassed the actual deal [lucky that some Three customer service and live chat reps have allowed the third party offer to be honoured, although Three recently have been slipping the '6 months half price' add-on into My3 accounts], that there are some tricksters out there using HotUKDeals as a platform to trick innocent users into their fraudulent illegal ways. Website links to deals need to be better scrutinised by editors and mods to stop this practice.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 1st Sep 2019
MrMaccieKFC01/09/2019 10:43

No surprise seeing as this week with people willing to go through websites …No surprise seeing as this week with people willing to go through websites like 'Three Clearance' passing themselves off as official websites, with dodgy links to deals that bypassed the actual deal [lucky that some Three customer service and live chat reps have allowed the third party offer to be honoured, although Three recently have been slipping the '6 months half price' add-on into My3 accounts], that there are some tricksters out there using HotUKDeals as a platform to trick innocent users into their fraudulent illegal ways. Website links to deals need to be better scrutinised by editors and mods to stop this practice.

Three Clearance is an official site though?
Has anyone got any updates on this one?
I received my order confirmation on the 31st August but haven't received any further communication or a SIM card.
Obamaa11/09/2019 17:32

Has anyone got any updates on this one?

OzBoy11/09/2019 19:14

I received my order confirmation on the 31st August but haven't received …I received my order confirmation on the 31st August but haven't received any further communication or a SIM card.

Same - no updates or anything and obviously not expecting anything anymore. Accepted that it's a phishing site and would advise everyone to stay away.
I really don't believe it's a phishing site as there is a link to it on the Virgin Money website. Here's the link:

uk.virginmoney.com/vir…ia/
OzBoy11/09/2019 20:52

I really don't believe it's a phishing site as there is a link to it on …I really don't believe it's a phishing site as there is a link to it on the Virgin Money website. Here's the link:https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/service/offers/virgin-media/

You may be right - I've been debating that since I posted this up but I assumed it was because of the few things I originally found, plus the fact that I was also able to bring up random peoples details by playing around with the numbers in the URL which I assumed Virgin could get into a lot of trouble for
Could the partners site have been hacked?
I'm really grateful that you posted your concerns MrBrightside1987 as it made me do a lot of checking online and monitoring of my bank account for any unexpected activity. My feeling is that the partners website is no longer being maintained and therefore orders are not being transferred over to Virgin Mobile. I'm not sure if there is a free way to check if there has been a credit check carried out recently by Virgin Media or their partners as the order page stated that a credit check would be required? At the end of the day, I'm disappointed that we didn't get our SIM cards as it would have been a great addition to my Huawei MediaPad M5 8" 32GB with LTE that I picked up following a post on hotukdeals!
OzBoy11/09/2019 22:02

I'm really grateful that you posted your concerns MrBrightside1987 as it …I'm really grateful that you posted your concerns MrBrightside1987 as it made me do a lot of checking online and monitoring of my bank account for any unexpected activity. My feeling is that the partners website is no longer being maintained and therefore orders are not being transferred over to Virgin Mobile. I'm not sure if there is a free way to check if there has been a credit check carried out recently by Virgin Media or their partners as the order page stated that a credit check would be required? At the end of the day, I'm disappointed that we didn't get our SIM cards as it would have been a great addition to my Huawei MediaPad M5 8" 32GB with LTE that I picked up following a post on hotukdeals!

You can get a free full Experian credit report through MSE credit club
Edited by: "jamie15" 12th Sep 2019
Thanks for the heads up jamie15. I have signed up for the MSE Credit Club but there is no record of a credit search by Virgin Mobile on my credit report.
Anymore updates on this? Did anyone ever receive anything or notice any unusual bank activity?
Didn't get my SIM card but didn't see any unauthorised activity either.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants