Anyone smell manure outside ?

Posted 15th Sep 2020
ok so this might sound really strange if you live no where near but suddenly outside stinks.
i thought a neighbour had put manure on their garden or something until my partner just showed me on facebook, loads of people all complaining of a nasty smell, some said sick, some said smelly socks, by me its definitely manure.
strange thing is its spread over a 50 mile radius so far, one guy said its in stratford upon avon and loads of others around walsall, wolverhampton, birmingham etc..
very strange, how can a smell travel over such a large area and its not just passing its constantly there, i dont get it
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
I’m at the international space station and confirm I can smell it here also
56 Comments
Very, very odd. I’ve not heard anything of this, but noticed a smell yesterday, and I’m in West Yorkshire 😳
Yes I live in Grimsby and have smelt this all day, even 15 miles away we’re I work
mdentz15/09/2020 20:21

Very, very odd. I’ve not heard anything of this, but noticed a smell y …Very, very odd. I’ve not heard anything of this, but noticed a smell yesterday, and I’m in West Yorkshire 😳

It is very odd, on one of the posts my partner just looked at someone stated there's been a spillage from a truck on the motorway, i dont know how true this is but if its true i just dont see how it can travel from stratford to wolverhampton, hard to believe unless it meant it was constantly pouring out from the truck on its journey along the motorway, if so must be some potent runny
There was a smell similar to this in Hull yesterday. I opened up all the cupboards in the kitchen for a sniff. Then the washer, dryer, fridge, freezer and sink. Nothing.

Opened the front door and it was outside.
Pipey8415/09/2020 20:26

Yes I live in Grimsby and have smelt this all day, even 15 miles away …Yes I live in Grimsby and have smelt this all day, even 15 miles away we’re I work

😯 thats over 100 miles away, this is getting even odder
Yes I smell something funny outside very strange
Hull-Tommo15/09/2020 20:28

There was a smell similar to this in Hull yesterday. I opened up all the …There was a smell similar to this in Hull yesterday. I opened up all the cupboards in the kitchen for a sniff. Then the washer, dryer, fridge, freezer and sink. Nothing.Opened the front door and it was outside.

So its gone from hull/yorkshire to grimsby and now the midlands, seems like its traveling south, very strange i just dont see how the smell can travel that far without diluting
I’m in London and I smelt it this morning. It’s gone now but it was very strong
Probably chicken manure if it smells that bad, this is about the time of year that it is usually spread. I take it you are in a rural area
North London.... Yes can smell it when outside.

Made me think of quite a few years ago when it was in the news and reportedly due to weather conditions carrying it over from France
zohan15/09/2020 20:31

I’m in London and I smelt it this morning. It’s gone now but it was very st …I’m in London and I smelt it this morning. It’s gone now but it was very strong

This is unbelievable so its the whole country by the sound of it
jaketheplumber15/09/2020 20:31

Probably chicken manure if it smells that bad, this is about the time of …Probably chicken manure if it smells that bad, this is about the time of year that it is usually spread. I take it you are in a rural area

No i live 8 miles from birmingham town centre and if you look at the comments its everywhere, weird
Hull-Tommo15/09/2020 20:28

There was a smell similar to this in Hull yesterday. I opened up all the …There was a smell similar to this in Hull yesterday. I opened up all the cupboards in the kitchen for a sniff. Then the washer, dryer, fridge, freezer and sink. Nothing.Opened the front door and it was outside.

The worse smell in Hull is the cocoa factory when there is a wind blowing North, stinks the whole city out. Lived there for. 4 years and that smell got me every time.

@Mark_Hickman Might be farmers on here but when is the spraying season, could it be that?
Smelt it this afternoon in Cheltenham around 2ish. But we do smell muck spreading often at this time of year anyway.
I smelt it at the gym today
Yeah, smelly here in Wednesbury to... loads talking bout it on social media, it's all over
Same here about a week ago - but I'm up in Forfar, and the town is surrounded by farms....
Sc4mp015/09/2020 20:39

The worse smell in Hull is the cocoa factory when there is a wind blowing …The worse smell in Hull is the cocoa factory when there is a wind blowing North, stinks the whole city out. Lived there for. 4 years and that smell got me every time. @Mark_Hickman Might be farmers on here but when is the spraying season, could it be that?

I dont think so its too wide spread looking at comments and most ive seen are in cities and towns
Mmmmmmm ... What’s going on , same here ... A very strong smell toooo
I just opened my patio door to see if it was here, and it really stunk but not when I went fully out... then I turned round to go back in and spotted the nappy I’d placed just outside the door when it was chucking it down earlier (wasn’t making that dash to the bin with no shoes on!)

So yeah, all good up here now.

If all of you stop being able to smell anything pretty shortly... my bad!
I’m at the international space station and confirm I can smell it here also
I’ve noticed a pong.
I smelt this on Saturday in Scunthorpe
Got back in from work at 12pm and literally opened every window in the house due to this disgusting, nasty, sickening stink of a smell. Yuck!

Then went outside and realised it’s actually coming from outside the house rather than inside the house!

It was smell, I kid you not.

I live in Birmingham; about 10 mins away from the Bullring shopping centre. The smell seemed to disappear in the late afternoon.
Edited by: "Hennah" 15th Sep
Covid 20? This one increases your sense of smell so when the Queen farts in London you can smell it in Newcastle.
I live in Birmingham and it stinks here. Very strange
Was driving today & thought for a second the car was on fire. And the smell continued for for a good 2 or 3 miles. It is muck spreading. At the end of harvesting their fields most of the fields are churned up & manure added. It is just the time of year.
Live in the North East and can definitely smell it, it seems to be popping up locally on facebook within a good 20-30 mile range of here. Smells like manure, presumed it was a plant reacting to the heat / weather?
paul.morbey15/09/2020 22:18

I live in Birmingham and it stinks here. Very strange

That's just Birmingham.
Willy_Wonka15/09/2020 22:28

Was driving today & thought for a second the car was on fire. And the …Was driving today & thought for a second the car was on fire. And the smell continued for for a good 2 or 3 miles. It is muck spreading. At the end of harvesting their fields most of the fields are churned up & manure added. It is just the time of year.

Strange thats a yearly process but this never happens any other year, people can smell it all over the country and theres no harvesting anywhere near me or most locations ive seen it reported in
StonkwellBogtrotter15/09/2020 20:40

Smelt it this afternoon in Cheltenham around 2ish. But we do smell muck …Smelt it this afternoon in Cheltenham around 2ish. But we do smell muck spreading often at this time of year anyway.

I'm in Cheltenham and didn't smell anything, maybe I'm infected
Sorry. I had a curry last night. I'll close my windows.
Probally coming from 99% of the deals
From this site
Yeah I could smell it where I am in Worcestershire, it was really bad had to close the windows. I thought it was something rotting in our fridge.
Oh the smell is strong. If you can’t smell it then make sure you self isolate for 14 days, probably got the rona
The heat will be making recycling centers/tips stink and farmers muck spreading ready for the winter and before the cold snap.

Once someone points out a smell people start to check for the smell and pickup on things which could have been there weeks.
I think it's the smell of disdain but I can't be sure.
Probably teen spirit.
I live locally to west bromwich, apparently there has been a landfill that has been disturbed (construction site) but im not sure if thats the cause as widespread as other comments suggest
Post a comment
@
    Text