Anyone speak Arabic ?

Found 14th Jan 2008
Hi all, just wondered if anyone spoke/can read Arabic ?

I've decided on an Arabic tattoo for my forearm & want to confirm what the below image says !!

Cheers

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
48 Comments

Original Poster

it means a part of the male genitals on the head, why would you want that on your arm?

Original Poster

Because I want to - Why do you live in Sheffield ?

One option is to use google Translate.

Type in, in english what you think it should say, and it will come back in Arabic with what it is:

google.com/tra…|ar

n.b there may be slight differences, as I believe there are more than one way of writing some letters.

If you still need help, a lad at my work, whilst he is British, grew up in Dubai, and speaks very very fluent Arabic. I'll dig this thread up tomorrow and ask him for you.

Because Sheffield is a great city, it was once considered to be a major export in the finest quality steel, it is close to the M1 so I can travel to other parts of the UK with ease. It is currently the fourth largest town in the UK so it has all the amenaties. It has some of the best sports facilities in the UK. It is also very close to the peak district so i can stay in touch with nature. And in general it is quite a pleasant place to live. Hope this answers your question.

ChrisUK;1455869

Because I want to - Why do you live in Sheffield ?

Classic! rofl!

Sheffield is full of dee dar bleeders!! (joking)

kk_cheung;1455926

Because Sheffield is a great city, it was once considered to be a major … Because Sheffield is a great city, it was once considered to be a major export in the finest quality steel, it is close to the M1 so I can travel to other parts of the UK with ease. It is currently the fourth largest town in the UK so it has all the amenaties. It has some of the best sports facilities in the UK. It is also very close to the peak district so i can stay in touch with nature. And in general it is quite a pleasant place to live. Hope this answers your question.

Sheffield is a city, FYI.

It has probably THE best swimming facilities in the UK.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "quite a pleasent place to live" when you've got the likes of the Manor and Pitsmoor etc part of the City!

@ChrisUK - Why Arabic? Just out of interest, that's all!

neilmonk;1455943

Sheffield is a city, FYI.It has probably THE best swimming facilities in … Sheffield is a city, FYI.It has probably THE best swimming facilities in the UK.I wouldn't go as far as saying it's "quite a pleasent place to live" when you've got the likes of the Manor and Pitsmoor etc part of the City!

ahhh i put city at the beginning lol, well luckily for me i live at the exact opposite of the manor and pitsmoor lol.

oi,leave Sheffield out of this!!!!;-)

I'm not good enough to tell you ChrisUK but here's the phrase in unicode if you want to try one of the Arabic->English translators out there

كر يستو فر

Something about getting away or winning through retreat? Shot in the dark really - I'm sure someone on here will be able to help yet.

Rofl, based on Admin's unicode translation, google says it means "Kerr fled circle"

I think not somehow!

Well, [url]www.appliedlanguage.com[/url] translates it as "This service is currently unavailable". Oh....hang on....

neilmonk;1455920

One option is to use google Translate.Type in, in english what you think … One option is to use google Translate.Type in, in english what you think it should say, and it will come back in Arabic with what it is:http://www.google.com/translate_t?langpair=en|arn.b there may be slight differences, as I believe there are more than one way of writing some letters.If you still need help, a lad at my work, whilst he is British, grew up in Dubai, and speaks very very fluent Arabic. I'll dig this thread up tomorrow and ask him for you.

Please please please can you ask him to translate this too

[SIZE="5"]اليكساندر[/SIZE]

Thank you

Jenny, that's Alexander.

jennybubbles;1456047

Please please please can you ask him to translate this … Please please please can you ask him to translate this too[SIZE="5"]اليكساندر[/SIZE]Thank you

If you're talking about that sticker on the biscuit jar it means, "Leave these alone, you're on a diet!"......just the same as the 50 other languages Mr Bubbles wrote it in!!!!!!!!!

rofl Charlie!

Ahhhh lol I figured it out. It's Christopher I was thinking it was three words but the "r" letter doesn't join... not sure if the "v" is supposed to join or not in Arabic. It's sort of like Krishtofr

Thing is ChrisUK is there is probably no "right" way to transliterate it but someone fluent in Arabic could probably point out the most normal way to do it.

Admin, was your unicode tranlation accurate/correct??

Original Poster

neilmonk;1455949

@ChrisUK - Why Arabic? Just out of interest, that's all!

Purely for astetic reasons mate - no religion b0llocks associated with it, I like the way it looks.

The text posted above is my name I translated, and I've found it on several sites, so I think i'm pretty safe

neilmonk;1456069

Jenny, that's Alexander.

sweet thats what I thought but really wanted to make sure before its inscribed on my skin :lol:

neilmonk;1456100

Admin, was your unicode tranlation accurate/correct??

if it is, he deserves a biscuit !! how about a fig roll?

Original Poster

Admin;1456088

Ahhhh lol I figured it out. It's Christopher I was thinking it was … Ahhhh lol I figured it out. It's Christopher I was thinking it was three words but the "r" letter doesn't join... not sure if the "v" is supposed to join or not in Arabic. It's sort of like KrishtofrThing is ChrisUK is there is probably no "right" way to transliterate it but someone fluent in Arabic could probably point out the most normal way to do it.

Cheers Paul,

I know the "script" looks right now - just need to find a good Arabic font to use

Yeah the unicode was right but that's pretty easy to do - it's figuring out which words it is which is tough I like the google translation though hehe

CHARLIETHIRTYTWO;1456074

If you're talking about that sticker on the biscuit jar it means, "Leave … If you're talking about that sticker on the biscuit jar it means, "Leave these alone, you're on a diet!"......just the same as the 50 other languages Mr Bubbles wrote it in!!!!!!!!!

says the same as yer wine rack then!!

In Arabic they read from RIGHT TO LEFT
Don't forget this
My ex wife was wife was half egyption you think i would of picked learnt more off her lol

may help

Original Poster

jennybubbles;1456119

sweet thats what I thought but really wanted to make sure before its … sweet thats what I thought but really wanted to make sure before its inscribed on my skin :lol:

Same reasons here lol - although I'm getting my own name (just in case I'm found drunk one night in an Arab speaking country & they want to know my name before sending me to jail.........)
:whistling:

Original Poster

This might be of use to you all.

Translated my name, but confirmed it from this site....

arabic.speak7.com/ara…htm

Original Poster

neilmonk;1455920

If you still need help, a lad at my work, whilst he is British, grew up … If you still need help, a lad at my work, whilst he is British, grew up in Dubai, and speaks very very fluent Arabic. I'll dig this thread up tomorrow and ask him for you.

Hi Neil,

If he could confirm thats the way it's written, that would be great.

Any good font idea's also welcome

Want to get it priced & booked in on Sat !!

Oh Jennybubbles yeah that says "Alexander" as neilmonk already said. The same thing with Christopher though you are trying to write an "Latin" name in Arabic which isn't exactly one letter for one letter. Arabic is consonantal so you don't have vowels but some 'consonants" act like vowels. When they've gone straight letter for letter you get a few vowelish types in your name which may not be accurate or not... that's why it's best if someone fluent can show the accepted way to transliterate that.

Also there are two sharp "s" in Arabic and I don't know which one is used in foreign words. You could also write Alexander like this if you take out the "e" between "d" and "r" and if you use the other "s". As I said I have no idea what is more right than the other!
اليكصانر

Are you planning a trip to the middle east? when you're blocked (illegally might I add.) you can tell people your name without saying a word.

Next on list - tattoo of the hotel address Chris is staying at in Yemen.

Just think it through before getting a tat please peeps. I don't wanna turn this into a debate about the morals etc, but just think how it'll look when you're 70 years old and all wrinkly etc....

Original Poster

It wont matter then, you'll be covered with old men hats & cardigans

Original Poster

lol, got one already, got a few more planned (got one on top of arm, want one on opposite forearm, calf & back )

bridtown;1456135

In Arabic they read from RIGHT TO LEFTDon't forget thisMy ex wife was … In Arabic they read from RIGHT TO LEFTDon't forget thisMy ex wife was wife was half egyption you think i would of picked learnt more off her lolmay help

you didnt use the online translator to write that did you?:-D

shanecr;1456124

if it is, he deserves a biscuit !! how about a fig roll?

he can have one from my biscuit tin since I'm not aloowed near it :roll:

ChrisUK;1456242

lol, got one already, got a few more planned (got one on top of arm, want … lol, got one already, got a few more planned (got one on top of arm, want one on opposite forearm, calf & back )

me too
planing on getting AMs name (hence the Alexander) and will add any susequent children but that about it.

What you got chris?

cristopher

roksi;1457121

cristopher

Welcome to HUKD roksi. Great first post!!! :?
Post a comment
@
    Text