anyone still roll their eggs on sunday ?

Found 21st Mar 2008
never actually did this just wondered if other people still did it ?

1. Misc
  2. Egg
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Egg
55 Comments

Never heard of it,is it a Scottish thing or well known everywhere here or further afield too?

Think we have a better chance of rolling snowballs up here if the weather forecast is anything to go by! :-D

Yes, i do it with my grandchildren every year, the kids love it.

sophie***;1758263

Yes, i do it with my grandchildren every year, the kids love it.

grandchildren...you are least 32?

warmapplepie;1758269

grandchildren...you are least 32?

Just a tad over! :roll:

Original Poster

Mum2Connor&Cerys;1758257

Never heard of it,is it a Scottish thing or well known everywhere here or … Never heard of it,is it a Scottish thing or well known everywhere here or further afield too?

as far as i know its a well known thing people do at easter .You boil the eggs till they are hard ,then you paint them and decorate them and take them to the park or a steep hill and roll them till the shell comes off ,then you eat them ,but i wouldnt after rolling them !!!lol

BomChikaWahWah;1758259

Think we have a better chance of rolling snowballs up here if the weather … Think we have a better chance of rolling snowballs up here if the weather forecast is anything to go by! :-D

True,was up your way last mth,damn noticed the change in the weather,then when I come back down,it was so mild and all,why I nearly got my bikini out!

mstiny;1758301

as far as i know its a well known thing people do at easter .You boil the … as far as i know its a well known thing people do at easter .You boil the eggs till they are hard ,then you paint them and decorate them and take them to the park or a steep hill and roll them till the shell comes off ,then you eat them ,but i wouldnt after rolling them !!!lol

Nope,i know nothing of this,kids would like it but eww to eating afterwards.

Banned

no, never heard of it either

mstiny;1758301

as far as i know its a well known thing people do at easter .You boil the … as far as i know its a well known thing people do at easter .You boil the eggs till they are hard ,then you paint them and decorate them and take them to the park or a steep hill and roll them till the shell comes off ,then you eat them ,but i wouldnt after rolling them !!!lol

Used to do it when I was younger! :thumbsup: (from Edinburgh btw)

Rolling eggs at easter is the usual thing to do over here, the public parks are full of kids rolling eggs down hills. Nobody ever eats them though.

Hope no-one's rolling an Easter egg

maybe it is just a Scottish thing. Only done it once with my wee boy (he's 4) coz only had 1 Easter Sunday off so far. He was 2 and loved it. It's great fun. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Ps. I'm Scottish ;-)

sassie;1758334

no, never heard of it either

Nor have I but apparently it's a big thing in some places ??

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/ordinaryphotos/hukdshowphoto/eggrolling.jpg

Explanation:
Egg Rolling
In many parts of the world it is a tradition to roll hard-boiled eggs down hills, usually on the Easter Monday. In the Christian tradition this can symbolise the rolling away of the stone from Christ's tomb.

In many places, egg rolling is an important part of the Easter tradition. Egg rolling events can either be relaxed socal affairs or highly competitive events. Eggs are usually hard boiled then marked to indicate the owner - these markings can vary from simple labels to complex and attractive artwork.

Egg rolling was common in Germany, where Eostre originated. The custom was brought to America along with other German traditions such as the Easter bunny.

From a Christian viewpoint, links can be made between the rolling of eggs down a hill and the rolling away of the stone from Christ's tomb. The Christian Easter story itself clearly fits into the view of spring as a time of rebirth

I must add that while it was maybe boiled eggs years ago, we actually roll our chocolate eggs now (with the wrapper on) taste soooo much better! And yes it is fun, you all should do it sometime.

Original Poster

WeeWifie;1758360

maybe it is just a Scottish thing. Only done it once with my wee boy … maybe it is just a Scottish thing. Only done it once with my wee boy (he's 4) coz only had 1 Easter Sunday off so far. He was 2 and loved it. It's great fun. I'd recommend it to anyone!Ps. I'm Scottish ;-)

hello hen hows it gaun? lol

Heh, I've done this every Easter since forever. No plans to this year, though.

Original Poster

calmacuk;1758344

Used to do it when I was younger! :thumbsup: (from Edinburgh btw)

my daughter was in edinburgh last week and someone stole her mobile ! ruined her weekend and now has to pay a contract for another 10 months !!! she said it was really expensive 3quid for a shot .:whistling:

Original Poster

hottoshop;1758381

thats a picture of the egg and spoon race not easter egg rolling lol:whistling:

mstiny;1758436

thats a picture of the egg and spoon race not easter egg rolling … thats a picture of the egg and spoon race not easter egg rolling lol:whistling:

Nooo... they're rolling them along the ground.

Albeit with spoons. :?

mstiny;1758436

thats a picture of the egg and spoon race not easter egg rolling … thats a picture of the egg and spoon race not easter egg rolling lol:whistling:

I know it's unusual to use spoons in Glasgow but.......................................:p:)

Banned

lol @ tony:giggle::giggle:

http://disney-clipart.com/Easter/pooh-bear/roo-easter-egg-roll.jpg

Ahhh little Roo knows what to do! lol

hottoshop;1758381

That looks a bit tame, we find the biggest hill, climb up and roll the eggs from the top. The kids are shattered by all the excerise!!!

Original Poster

hottoshop;1758451

I know it's unusual to use spoons in Glasgow … I know it's unusual to use spoons in Glasgow but.......................................:p:)

And a suppose u eat with a "silver spoon " lol thers always one

mstiny;1758481

And a suppose u eat with a "silver spoon " lol thers always one

A little bit of harmless comedy, no offence was meant.
My knowledge of Glaswegians is they have a sense of humour, hope you lot haven't lost it ?

Banned

hottoshop;1758548

A little bit of harmless comedy, no offence was meant.My knowledge of … A little bit of harmless comedy, no offence was meant.My knowledge of Glaswegians is they have a sense of humour, hope you lot haven't lost it ?

you wanna spade there mate:giggle::giggle:

sassie;1758552

lol ! Never win can you ! Accuses me of posting the wrong pic, no apology, and then takes umbrage at a harmless joke. :whistling:

Something tells me it might be the wrong time of month ?

Actually with a spade you probably could win the Rolling Egg Race , lmao. I'll take it !!

Banned

some days your the bird others your the statue ;-)

Original Poster

hottoshop;1758548

A little bit of harmless comedy, no offence was meant.My knowledge of … A little bit of harmless comedy, no offence was meant.My knowledge of Glaswegians is they have a sense of humour, hope you lot haven't lost it ?

oh i have a sense of humour with things that are funny ! ur comment wasnt funny just pompous !!

Original Poster

sassie;1758552

aye an al gladly dig the hole !!! now that is funny ..:-D

mstiny;1758633

oh i have a sense of humour with things that are funny ! ur comment wasnt … oh i have a sense of humour with things that are funny ! ur comment wasnt funny just pompous !!

Sorry you see it like that, apologies then.

Original Poster

hottoshop;1758605

lol ! Never win can you ! Accuses me of posting the wrong pic, no … lol ! Never win can you ! Accuses me of posting the wrong pic, no apology, and then takes umbrage at a harmless joke. :whistling:Something tells me it might be the wrong time of month ?Actually with a spade you probably could win the Rolling Egg Race , lmao. I'll take it !!

yet again u put ur size 11 in it as i no longer have the wrong time of the month due to a hysterectomy back in july !!! but hey how would u know .... think befor u write :whistling:

Banned

hottoshop;1758687

for gawds sake dont mention fat birds either -lol

Original Poster

hottoshop;1758687

apology accepted !!!:-D

Original Poster

sassie;1758698

for gawds sake dont mention fat birds either -lol

sassie has a good memory ! lol:p

"anyone still roll their eggs on sunday ?"

I do but not in the way your thinking...:-D

Isn't there some kind of extreme event in some obscure village where they chuck blocks of cheese down a very steep hill and then go chasing after it at full speed??? Not sure if it's an easter thing or not but I remember the news covering it once cos some dunce got a big injury from it!!!
Are these people off their trollies or what???

When I was little I used to get every year for Christmas a copy of "Our Wullie" and "The Broons" (they alternated each year) anyone else remember them?

Anyway, there was usually a story involving rolling eggs in those books I seem to remember.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions