What university did / do you go?
    Did / Do you enjoy Law?
    Did you do any extra training?
    Did you sit the LNAT test?

Cheers

16 Comments

Banned

'possession is nine tenths of the law' lol

I'd definitely recommend a law degree if you've got the determination to continue within the field. I loved my degree.

angelfairee;7861086

I'd definitely recommend a law degree if you've got the determination to … I'd definitely recommend a law degree if you've got the determination to continue within the field. I loved my degree.

Apt avatar then!

FYI, Brunel university is very good for law as well as they have direct links to the college of law (who usually require a 2:1 but will accept a 2:2 from brunel). This is what my sister did, did her LPC at the college of law and now is a trainee solicitor.

Original Poster

krazie2004;7861149

FYI, Brunel university is very good for law as well as they have direct … FYI, Brunel university is very good for law as well as they have direct links to the college of law (who usually require a 2:1 but will accept a 2:2 from brunel). This is what my sister did, did her LPC at the college of law and now is a trainee solicitor.

Thanks for that, just browsing the site
    Did she do a sandwhich course?

Banned

am a barrister.......

i suggest you stay well clear of law for 2 reasons
    1- far too many students graduating in law
    2- limited jobs in law- and normally not advertised

i only got my job from a friend of a friend

9/10 law students end up unemployedor work at tescos or do taxis

waste of time and money

however, a great course to learn as a "hobby"

Original Poster

ROKO;7861244

am a barrister.......i suggest you stay well clear of law for 2 reasons1- … am a barrister.......i suggest you stay well clear of law for 2 reasons1- far too many students graduating in law2- limited jobs in law- and normally not advertisedi only got my job from a friend of a friend9/10 law students end up unemployedor work at tescos or do taxiswaste of time and moneyhowever, a great course to learn as a "hobby"

Hey, whats so bad about working at tesco?

While Roko may well actually just be a barrista at Starbucks, the law is incredibly competitive
    Regarding the College of Law comment above, they take anyone - as long as you can pay.
    The legal minimum req for the bar is a 2:2 but if you haven't got a solid 2:1/1st you'll never get a pupillage. You need academics, work experience, and other stuff such as CAB work, Free Rep Uni work, Street Law experience, National competitions for mooting, negotiation, client interviewing.
    It's a very hard, but rewarding degree, but it's also a huge gamble in terms of actually qualifying - it's well worth weighing up your odds before investing the tuition fees and time required.

Re Solicitor route a 2:1 is usually good enough, but TCs are also in huge demand.

Banned

urmmm nothing but not a good return on a degree that has potentially cost you £20-30k

Banned

My favourite member MJ is a lawyer.

strike;7861219

Thanks for that, just browsing the site Did she do a sandwhich course?

No, she didn't do a sandwich course, just got lucky after she qualified and found a job with a local solicitor who then offered her a training contract which she is currently 1 year into. Although most of her friends have found it somewhat difficult in finding a training contract but not to the extent that ROKO is saying.

Finding the training contract is the most difficult part, once you got one though it is quite easy to find a job. Now becoming a barrister and finding a job I have heard is extremely difficult, basically you will only get a job if you know someone willing to do you a favour.

HTH :thumbsup:

in life its not what you know its who you know

HTH

numptyj;7861548

in life its not what you know its who you knowHTH

[COLOR="Red"]^^YOU KNOW^^

And you know me so you're lucky 'cos I have serious influence. :thumbsup:[/COLOR]

krazie2004;7861149

FYI, Brunel university is very good for law as well as they have direct … FYI, Brunel university is very good for law as well as they have direct links to the college of law (who usually require a 2:1 but will accept a 2:2 from brunel). This is what my sister did, did her LPC at the college of law and now is a trainee solicitor.

Brunel is rated pretty low for law.......... and for all other courses.

Original Poster

DLM;7861419

My favourite member MJ is a lawyer.

Who?
    krazie2004;7861474

No, she didn't do a sandwich course, just got lucky after she qualified … No, she didn't do a sandwich course, just got lucky after she qualified and found a job with a local solicitor who then offered her a training contract which she is currently 1 year into. Although most of her friends have found it somewhat difficult in finding a training contract but not to the extent that ROKO is saying. Finding the training contract is the most difficult part, once you got one though it is quite easy to find a job. Now becoming a barrister and finding a job I have heard is extremely difficult, basically you will only get a job if you know someone willing to do you a favour.HTH :thumbsup:

I like the idea of intense competition.
    numptyj;7861548

in life its not what you know its who you knowHTH

Thanks for your insightful comment and it has duly been noted.
    The JFK;7861613

[COLOR="Red"]^^YOU KNOW^^And you know me so you're lucky 'cos I have … [COLOR="Red"]^^YOU KNOW^^And you know me so you're lucky 'cos I have serious influence. :thumbsup:[/COLOR]

I know you:?

Banned

strike;7863469

Who?

Magicjay
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1918
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30124
      3. word association Game74044563