Anyone succeeded in cancelling or suspending insurance on a SORN'd vehicle?

Posted 30th Mar
Due to the Lockdown I'm going to lay up one of the family cars on the drive as the insurance on it is £1k/year while son is learning on it. It'll have been SORN'd also to save £20/m VED.

But the insurer Aviva only allows cancellation via phone, yet is not taking phone calls due to apparently having sent its call centre staff home with no work from home backup. Anyone found a way? Worst case it'll be a recorded letter but I don't even want to visit a post office.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
You can self-print postage inc tracked items, although it won't track until first scan, typically at sorting office. Just saying in case all other options exhaust.
How will a letter help if the offices are closed
Ask Honest John. You often get an email reply same day.
AL1S0N30/03/2020 08:28

How will a letter help if the offices are closed

Because it's proof they actually TRIED to do something about it - not OPs fault it's shut.

Def needs to be recorded/tracked though OP so you have evidence you tried to sort something within due time.
Cloeeez30/03/2020 08:54

Because it's proof they actually TRIED to do something about it - not OPs …Because it's proof they actually TRIED to do something about it - not OPs fault it's shut.Def needs to be recorded/tracked though OP so you have evidence you tried to sort something within due time.

Probably best not to use any service that requires a signature; possibly best option since late 1970s for
"you have received my letter whether you say you have or haven't"
is via plain xx class and retaining both proof of posting and postage payment receipt, semi-regardless of any t&c in the schedule/policy that says otherwise. Job done. Although that will typically require attendance at PO.
AndyRoyd30/03/2020 08:16

You can self-print postage inc tracked items, although it won't track …You can self-print postage inc tracked items, although it won't track until first scan, typically at sorting office. Just saying in case all other options exhaust.

I didn't know that, good answer.
But they are taking phone calls according to their website for claims, renewals and changes to policy. I had to cancel auto renewal of insurance with Admiral who have the same priority restrictions in place, took ages and cost over £7 in phone call charges but eventually got it done. Can you cancel by accessing your online account and clicking changes to policy? Also how are you paying? Maybe you could stop direct debits with the bank
Polar130/03/2020 10:14

But they are taking phone calls according to their website for claims, …But they are taking phone calls according to their website for claims, renewals and changes to policy. I had to cancel auto renewal of insurance with Admiral who have the same priority restrictions in place, took ages and cost over £7 in phone call charges but eventually got it done. Can you cancel by accessing your online account and clicking changes to policy? Also how are you paying? Maybe you could stop direct debits with the bank

I posted this topic because of course I've tried phone, to be sent straight back the website that says you can only cancel by phone. The flowchart is something like:

Website sends you to phone
Phone call sends you to website
Try website chat. Sends you to website form
Send message via website form > No reply for 4 days so far
Somewhere along the line you get sent to Twitter > No reply so far

They do accept you onto the phone queue for same day changes to policy. Maybe I'll try that even though the cancellation starts on some days time.
AndyRoyd30/03/2020 09:54

Probably best not to use any service that requires a signature; possibly …Probably best not to use any service that requires a signature; possibly best option since late 1970s for "you have received my letter whether you say you have or haven't" is via plain xx class and retaining both proof of posting and postage payment receipt, semi-regardless of any t&c in the schedule/policy that says otherwise. Job done. Although that will typically require attendance at PO.

Either way, OP needs proof that they've actually sent something. I don't send stuff via mail so don't know what's best.
"They do accept you onto the phone queue for same day changes to policy"

You'll unfortunately have to join that queue. When I phoned Admiral it gave me a two hour wait message! Luckily it didn't take that long but its rather irritating just waiting, especially as they didn't even play a tune, just silence!
You can email them:
aviva.co.uk/hel…es/

though I called them last week and didn’t have to wait too long
Cloeeez30/03/2020 08:54

Because it's proof they actually TRIED to do something about it - not OPs …Because it's proof they actually TRIED to do something about it - not OPs fault it's shut.Def needs to be recorded/tracked though OP so you have evidence you tried to sort something within due time.

Put its not avivas fault the OP wants to cancel their insurance either!!

Sending a recorded letter is pointless if offices are not open.

if OP cancels insurance with bank and aviva go to get funds. OP could be liable for a failed direct debit charge.
Deleted_30/03/2020 11:52

Put its not avivas fault the OP wants to cancel their insurance either!! …Put its not avivas fault the OP wants to cancel their insurance either!! Sending a recorded letter is pointless if offices are not open. if OP cancels insurance with bank and aviva go to get funds. OP could be liable for a failed direct debit charge.

I never said anything about them cancelling a direct debit.
The best course of action since no phone lines are available nor direct contact is proof that OP tried to provide their cancellation aka letter proof or email.
Which means best course is aviva provide a refund when they see the proof that OP at least tried from X date.
A well written letter or email would suffice surely.
Unfortunately a lot of the time a company would rather blame a customer than just give them a refund nowadays.
Aviva have left themselves open by not having people work from home. A lot of companies have bought laptops for this exact reason.

If this 'lockdown' lasted for a year and OPs son didn't use that car for a year then they would have wasted 1k+. Might as well just set the money on fire.
Might be worth bearing this in mind before you cancel, if you lease a car or drive anything that isn't a heap of junk.

40230270-iZ97x.jpg
This car is firmly in bangernomics territory and no loans involved.
Anyway, Aviva came good, they eventually responded via Twitter and to my web form message, there are indeed people working from home there and they are managing my cancellation.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 31st Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions