Expired

Anyone taken up that "lifetime warranty for £39.99" from Sky Media UK? Is it worth it?

Found 2nd Aug 2011
I was wondering if anyone had heard of them before and is it worth taking a chance to insure my tv?
Community Updates
MiscSky
15 Comments
"About Sky Media
Sky Media is the advertising sales arm of Sky, offering brands an exciting array of channels, websites and opportunities to reach existing and future customers.

Sky Media represents all of Sky's channels and sites including Sky Sports, Sky News, Sky1, Sky Movies, Sky Arts, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living and Sky.com. We also sell on behalf of a host of other famous and renowned brands including Discovery, National Geographic, History, MTV, FX, Syfy, Nickelodeon, ESPN, Comedy Central and many more. For a complete list, click here.

Our channels are watched by over 80% of the population - on TV, online, on mobile and even on games consoles; our sites and apps reach a quarter of the total Internet audience and our magazine portfolio is the widest read in the country.

We offer many different ways of reaching viewers, whether at home or on the move. From traditional ads, sponsorship, online and video-on-demand to pubs, train stations and on your mobile. Our opportunities are divided in to 8 easy to digest packs, so it's simple to explore and find the information you're after; so no matter who your audience is or how you want to reach them, you can be sure that Sky Media can play a big part.

We are over 280 strong and are based in London, Manchester and Dublin.

As the market leader for digital television we always add insight into any media debate and our style is always open and honest."

skymedia.co.uk/abo…spx

Sky Media UK not sky media

musicals

"About Sky MediaSky Media is the advertising sales arm of Sky, offering … "About Sky MediaSky Media is the advertising sales arm of Sky, offering brands an exciting array of channels, websites and opportunities to reach existing and future customers.Sky Media represents all of Sky's channels and sites including Sky Sports, Sky News, Sky1, Sky Movies, Sky Arts, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living and Sky.com. We also sell on behalf of a host of other famous and renowned brands including Discovery, National Geographic, History, MTV, FX, Syfy, Nickelodeon, ESPN, Comedy Central and many more. For a complete list, click here.Our channels are watched by over 80% of the population - on TV, online, on mobile and even on games consoles; our sites and apps reach a quarter of the total Internet audience and our magazine portfolio is the widest read in the country.We offer many different ways of reaching viewers, whether at home or on the move. From traditional ads, sponsorship, online and video-on-demand to pubs, train stations and on your mobile. Our opportunities are divided in to 8 easy to digest packs, so it's simple to explore and find the information you're after; so no matter who your audience is or how you want to reach them, you can be sure that Sky Media can play a big part.We are over 280 strong and are based in London, Manchester and Dublin.As the market leader for digital television we always add insight into any media debate and our style is always open and honest."http://www.skymedia.co.uk/about-us.aspx

Sounds suspiciously like one of those scams....

Do you mean these? skymediauk.co.uk/

They are the warranty company for Tesco TVs etc, normally you get an extra 3 months or so for free when you buy a Tv from Technika Tv Tesco. Many have take the freebie extension but never considered taking the lifetime warranty.

Anyhow if the TV is an expensive one surely you can use the SOG act against the retailer to cover it for up to 6 years .

The blurb from their about us page

Sky Media UK LTD are the technical support and aftersales service … Sky Media UK LTD are the technical support and aftersales service provider for many of the UK’s best selling brands of LCD & Plasma Televisions from many of the UK’s leading retailers.We offer an unrivalled level of both speed and service ensuring that your TV is collected, repaired and returned with the minimum of inconvenience.We can solve most problems over the phone, in fact, over 90% of reported faults are ‘fixed’ over the phone when the end user calls the helpline.In the event that a fault is identified, we arrange to collect, repair and return the TV, the whole process taking just 2-3 days. If we believe we cannot offer a permanent repair, we will replace the item for either the exact same model, or where this is not available immediately from stock, we will exchange it for one of at least the same specification or greater.In order to minimise the inconvenience, we can collect the faulty TV from either a work or home address, whichever suits the end users most. Of course, the TV has to be boxed and able to be collected by a carrier.We use either Citylink, DHL or Business post to make our collections and deliveries as past experience shows that they are amongst the most reliable. Although we cannot provide an exact time that the delivery or collection will take place, we can usually give a 3-4 hour window depending on location.To ensure a permanent repair, we replace the faulty parts with brand new parts, not reconditioned parts. We will never try and repair any component on a PCB (printed circuit board) as the reliability can never be assured.

Just found this about their 'lifetime' period

* Lifetime means expected life of the TV under normal viewing conditions … * Lifetime means expected life of the TV under normal viewing conditions and the expected availability of replacement spare parts being available from the manufacturer. This is usually 7-8 years. The warranty will therefore automatically expire after 8 years.

Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 2nd Aug 2011
where do get a box for a 50" plasma?
sowotsdis

where do get a box for a 50" plasma?

The one that it came in. Most of those bits of paper that come with electrical stuff advises about keeping the packaging just in case, my loft is full of boxes just in case. Good for when reselling the stuff too
your loft is nice fire hazard
I've recently bought a 40" LCD TV from Tesco (Technica) It's decent tbh and I'm also considering this 8 year warranty for £39.99 however it seems ridiculously cheap. And them being called skymediauk also worries me that they're possibly trying to pass themselves off as "Sky". Also reading their T&C's Quote: "Wear and tear or gradually developing defects, cracks, flaws, fractures or faults not affecting the operational function of the product."
Is not covered... so to me that sounds like I dunno over a period of say 3 years the tv gets gradually dull and unwatchable sounds like they wouldn't cover it?

Just wondering if anyone else has taken this warranty, has it given them piece of mind and do you think it's worth the gamble? I mean, the warranties only as good as the paper it's written on if the company goes bump in 3 years or whatever.

Any suggestions / info will be great, let me know what u guys think. Cheers.

P.S. RE: sowotsdis - Any loft is a fire hazard, hence why you don't set it on fire >,
Sale of Goods Act will cover you for five years for any fault the tv develops.
JIMMYRIDDLE77

Sale of Goods Act will cover you for five years for any fault the tv … Sale of Goods Act will cover you for five years for any fault the tv develops.

A very general comment which is almost truebut not quite correct by someone who I guess has never researched the laws / acts. Firstly its not the main sale of goods act but an addition to the act from european ruling and its also for 6 years not 5 years. This length of time is not covering all parts of product purchased just major components & of course subject to value. The biggest part of this that is overlooked is that there is also a sliding scale over how long you have purchased it as well to take into account wear and tear

If this policy mentioned above is new for old or refund to value paid then £39.99 is worth every penny as the act doen't give you this

Edited by: "burge74" 31st Oct 2011
Avoid like the plague.

Buy your TV from John Lewis or M&S, both give 5 year warranties.
I bought the extended warranty on my Tesco 40 " T.V. BUT BECAUSE I CAN'T FIND MY ORIGINAL RECEIPT AND PAID CASH FOR THE T.V. I'M HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THEM TO HONOUR IT. ANY SUGGESTIONS ? OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVE ALL MY DETAILS AND THAT OF THE T.V. BUT THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER
Same problem. It is now over a week and have had no further reply after informing them that I did not have the receipt. 32 inch UMC TV purchased from the Co-op together with the lifetime guarantee. I have informed them that if they still refuse to help I wish to cancel the guarantee and have my money back STILL NO REPLY. The Co-op need to be informed of their poor service as they are selling these warranties. I am 83 years of age and rely on my Tv more than most. The TV is watchable but has an infuriating problem of trying to do a scan when switched on, requiring much on/off switching before it clears.
GOtuit

Go to Contact@direct-warranties.co.uk. They should sort it out for you.ok

I'm guessing your advice is just a tad late :-/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants