Anyone tell me where the army (british) were based in singapore?

As above really.

12 Comments

Original Poster

Mate said his dad was in the army , recent time's and was based there, trying to figure out where...

Not on wiki.

Banned

jaybizzle;2841777

Mate said his dad was in the army , recent time's and was based there, … Mate said his dad was in the army , recent time's and was based there, trying to figure out where...Not on wiki.

Are you a terrorist? :w00t:

singapore's pretty small i think... i've only been to one in Malaysia thought. (Where my granddad was based) not far from Singapore, it's Mallaca...

Original Poster

Lol , not terrorist, just wondering if it was close to where i used to live.

Banned

jaybizzle;2841869

Lol , not terrorist, just wondering if it was close to where i used to … Lol , not terrorist, just wondering if it was close to where i used to live.

That's what, they all say

Banned

Singapore has been completely rebuilt since the war, so any buildings would definitely no longer exist.

I can remember getting a monorail over to an island just south of the main island, where they had their war museum, with figures of the Brits surrendering. Maybe that was the location.

I doubt that much isn't new from when I was last there (with a proper stop over). I certainly saw a massive difference when I landed the last time to when I stayed.

My dad was in the RAF and we were based over there from 1969-1973, at Changi. There were mixed forces there at the time.

Banned

bitseylango;2842337

My dad was in the RAF and we were based over there from 1969-1973, at … My dad was in the RAF and we were based over there from 1969-1973, at Changi. There were mixed forces there at the time.

Ah, OK. It wasn't the island I'd suggested above then (Sentosa rings a bell)! Have you been to Changi since the airport has been built? I know I remember thinking it was really impressive when I first landed there.

No more "boogie street" (sp) where the lady-boys used to hang out either!

guv;2842398

Ah, OK. It wasn't the island I'd suggested above then (Sentosa rings a … Ah, OK. It wasn't the island I'd suggested above then (Sentosa rings a bell)! Have you been to Changi since the airport has been built? I know I remember thinking it was really impressive when I first landed there.No more "boogie street" (sp) where the lady-boys used to hang out either!

the stories my folks come out with about Boogie Street! lol :-D
Havent been back since '73 and certainly would love to, it was a dirty place when we were there and I know it has changed dramatically, but I was only 8-9ish when we left but can still remember my address and would love to see if that is still there. The house we were in was huge compared to the married quarters over here,

Banned

bitseylango;2842473

the stories my folks come out with about Boogie Street! lol :-DHavent … the stories my folks come out with about Boogie Street! lol :-DHavent been back since '73 and certainly would love to, it was a dirty place when we were there and I know it has changed dramatically, but I was only 8-9ish when we left but can still remember my address and would love to see if that is still there. The house we were in was huge compared to the married quarters over here,

I would probably think its 99% certain its no longer there.

Things have changed. Its VERY VERY clean now!

And dont drop litter or [COLOR="Blue"]chewing gum[/COLOR] - unless you want to be flogged!!

My first visit was in '83 and there was already major construction going on. The last time was just a transit flight in '96, but the skyline was completely different and would imagine its probably unrecognisable now. Boogie Street still existed in '83. And yes, I can imagine the stories. It was full of "stunners" and to be quite honest, that was how you knew the difference!!!! I know it was condemned to go, along with all the other "old town" buildings. I do know that Raffles is stilll there though, so not everything has been demolished!

Having said that, Singapore wasn't really a place I'd rush back to. A bit sterile - and the shopping was damned expensive (despite being told differently - though the exchange rates at the time were very poor!)

So did you manage to get over to places like Bali and Ko Samui when you were there? They were still relatively untouched when I went. (There wasnt an airport on Ko Samui when I was there!) Both great places. I think Id really love to go to Bali again though despite the changes.

So did you manage to get over to places like Bali and Ko Samui when you … So did you manage to get over to places like Bali and Ko Samui when you were there? They were still relatively untouched when I went. (There wasnt an airport on Ko Samui when I was there!) Both great places. I think Id really love to go to Bali again though despite the changes.

I just remember going on boat trips to small islands nearby. No idea what the names were! We have talked of a trip to Australia or New Zealand in the future with a stop-over in Singapore, It was such along time ago, I know I wont recognise the place but have a lot of good memeories from there especially the monsoons, wow it can rain!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.611
    2. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?56
    3. Iphone 7 - What Case?619
    4. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door56

See more discussions