Anyone tethered on virgin mobile before?

Found 30th Jul 2016
I am thinking of leaving T-Mobile for virgin as I need free 08 numbers. (I know about say no to 08 numbers).

I read from reviews that you are not allowed to tether on virgin, although I can't actually find this on their website.

I am only ever going to need to tether occasionally when I am on holiday in the UK but it would be a good option to have. I have tethered on T-Mobile before when we lost our broadband for a week without any problem even though T-Mobile doesn't allow tethering either.

I have read however, that EE does allow tethering.

Has anyone ever tethered on virgin?
Community Updates
12 Comments
Yes. Virgin’s mobile doesn’t allow tethering.
Original Poster
wayners

Yes. Virgin’s mobile doesn’t allow tethering.

Does it block you when you turn your mobile into a hotspot?
Apparently you can't tether but I was with them for 4 years (I left in February) and tethered quite a bit. Normally so I could watch Netflix on my tablet when on a bus, train etc. They never said a word to me.

This was using a Lumia 920 so I don't know if they could tell on another platform?
Original Poster
HondaLad

Apparently you can't tether but I was with them for 4 years (I left in … Apparently you can't tether but I was with them for 4 years (I left in February) and tethered quite a bit. Normally so I could watch Netflix on my tablet when on a bus, train etc. They never said a word to me. This was using a Lumia 920 so I don't know if they could tell on another platform?

This is same as T-Mobile. I expected to be blocked when I turned my Galaxy Note phone to hotspot it worked fine without any problem.
do Virgin completely block you once you've used up all data allowance or permit simple browsing pr are you charged for extra data
Original Poster
darklight

do Virgin completely block you once you've used up all data allowance or … do Virgin completely block you once you've used up all data allowance or permit simple browsing pr are you charged for extra data

Their website states that if you go over, they charge you £2 a day for unlimited data use per day.
I'm with them and I tether without any issues.
Virgin don't allow tethering as part of their contracts & will send you a disconnect warning if they catch on. Happened to me but fortunately it was after I no longer needed it. I used it temporarily when we moved home & didn't have internet. To be fair I was downloading a fair bit tho lol
You mean 0870/1 numbers I am assuming as 08 numbers are free on all networks now.
Original Poster
2minutenoodles

Virgin don't allow tethering as part of their contracts & will send you a … Virgin don't allow tethering as part of their contracts & will send you a disconnect warning if they catch on. Happened to me but fortunately it was after I no longer needed it. I used it temporarily when we moved home & didn't have internet. To be fair I was downloading a fair bit tho lolYou mean 0870/1 numbers I am assuming as 08 numbers are free on all networks now.

I used T-Mobile sim in a dongle as well and used in total about 750MB over 10 days when we lost broadband but was ok. It looks like they know you tether when you use heavy data more than you would normally on your phone.
their unlimited data isn't unlimited,when in hospital I had gone over some Allowence they determine as part of their fair use bullspit and my data speed was so low it took 20mins to load Twitter feed. I called em and found out all this crap, sacked em off and got 3.
mutley1

I used T-Mobile sim in a dongle as well and used in total about 750MB … I used T-Mobile sim in a dongle as well and used in total about 750MB over 10 days when we lost broadband but was ok. It looks like they know you tether when you use heavy data more than you would normally on your phone.

Yeah it breaches their "Fair Use Policy".
AFAIK they can't tell if you turn Hotspot on, on your phone. There isn't a way for them to detect this. Most mobile networks allow tethering now bar a few like Virgin.

You can use tethering technically but you run the risk of them taking action against you should they detect it. The way I read and have read in the past, they would detect patterns in bandwidth usage and then able to see you're tethering based on this.

If used in small increments you should be fine but don't go over doing it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions