Anyone took about a home emergency cover and would recommend?

Posted 2nd Oct 2021
We are looking for a home emergency cover, had a look around but wanted to check if anyone would recommend the one they've taken and if there any cashback or discount available?

Also, are they worth taking?

thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
14 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Got it free with our 'Esure' home insurance. They give Legal and Home Emergency cover for free on new policies , did ours through Top Cash Back compare. Can't say how good it is as we have not needed it so far.
  2. Avatar
    Check your home insurance, mine has cover included.
  3. Avatar
    Author
    deleted240282402/10/2021 15:49

Check your home insurance, mine has cover included.

Ours don't, we've only building insurance.
  4. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2102/10/2021 15:52

Well you probably want to think about contents insurance and adding the emergency cover to the policy.

Example morethan.com/home-insurance/home-emergency-cover/

Lots of other providers do it too and it can be upgraded to cover more

Always read small print with any cover as many won’t cover older boilers or certain types of repairs
    Edited by: "deleted2402824" 2nd Oct 2021
  5. Avatar
    naaa service provided aint great
  6. Avatar
    Gumbon02/10/2021 15:57

naaa service provided aint great

I have the free one with my insurance but never used it, when a pipe burst I just fixed it myself. Didn’t take long as always keep a spare length pipe in the loft, joints, gas, solder etc too.
  7. Avatar
    yorkie1202/10/2021 15:49

Got it free with our 'Esure' home insurance. They give Legal and Home …Got it free with our 'Esure' home insurance. They give Legal and Home Emergency cover for free on new policies , did ours through Top Cash Back compare. Can't say how good it is as we have not needed it so far.

Had esure last year for my mum's house with a 40 year old back-boiler system. Noticed in the renewal that they now exclude boilers over 15 years old. Just be aware.
  8. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2102/10/2021 15:52

Seriously before spending money on emergency cover, put that money towards contents insurance (Assuming you own some items), buildings cover doesn't cover everything inside the home so if many items won't be covered (appliances for example)...I know it can be an expense you can do without but I experienced losing everthing in my home and without contents insurance I'd be bankrupted and back with my parents!
  9. Avatar
    spannerzone02/10/2021 18:45

Seriously before spending money on emergency cover, put that money towards …Seriously before spending money on emergency cover, put that money towards contents insurance (Assuming you own some items), buildings cover doesn't cover everything inside the home so if many items won't be covered (appliances for example)...I know it can be an expense you can do without but I experienced losing everthing in my home and without contents insurance I'd be bankrupted and back with my parents!

My mums house burned down, the 25k payout for the contents enabled her to fully refurbish it once the building had been repaired.

Never understood why people cheap out on insurance.

In fact my dad (who is separated from my mum) his house got broken into and they smashed the back door resulting in shattering glass fronted cooker and putting a hole in fridge, the insurance took care of it all.

Up until the year before he never had insurance at all, but I convinced him to get buildings and basic contents insurance, the policy cost £100 for the year! He renewed it at about £20 more the following year and then the break in happened causing £2k of damage.
    Edited by: "deleted2402824" 2nd Oct 2021
  10. Avatar
    deleted240282402/10/2021 20:03

My mums house burned down, the 25k payout for the contents enabled her to …My mums house burned down, the 25k payout for the contents enabled her to fully refurbish it once the building had been repaired.Never understood why people cheap out on insurance.In fact my dad (who is separated from my mum) his house got broken into and they smashed the back door resulting in shattering glass fronted cooker and putting a hole in fridge, the insurance took care of it all. Up until the year before he never had insurance at all, but I convinced him to get buildings and basic contents insurance, the policy cost £100 for the year! He renewed it at about £20 more the following year and then the break in happened causing £2k of damage.

Yeah I learned a similar valuable lesson 25 years ago, my first flat got burgled and I didn't have insurance... I then got insurance... few years later the whole flat got flooded and I claimed about £20k in lost stuff.... no brainer.
  11. Avatar
    I would always recommend having full Buildings and Contents cover . For what I'd consider more than enough cover for our home we paid £160 this year but do find you need to swap companies every year to keep price at that level. Also you never know how good your insurance is until it comes to having to claim. My Mother in Law still uses her building society for her insurance and pays more than tripple what we do so you'd expect it to be top quality. She had to claim 3 years ago and the service was excellent and she still thought it would be the same when she had to claim this year unfortunately it wasn't. The building society had changed the Insurance company it uses and even though this was still one of the big companies the service was terrible. Firstly at almost 90 years old she was asked to get quotes for the work herself, difficult as it was water damage to her bathroom and would need a certain amount of deconstruction to assess what work was needed. Then they appointed a claims management company to over see the claim who proceeded to offer under £600 to settle ( the work has turned out to cost more than £6000). Had to fight them all the way to get them to organise for the work to be done themselves, she just wanted the job doing not to have to manage the work herself. The work lasted weeks longer than needed due to their poor coordination of the trades needed to do the work. When the work was underway we had to look after her as she only has the one bathroom and they promised they'd have the loo working at the end of every day so she could sleep at home as she is very infirm and can't climb stairs. Of course this didn't always happen and she ended up sleeping downstairs at ours too. Glad it's all behind us now but we had no help and little in response to our complaints from any of the companies concerned.
    Edited by: "yorkie12" 3rd Oct 2021
  12. Avatar
    The free home emergency can be a waste of time I had a burst pipe under the kitchen sink turned the water off rang them up expecting them to send a plumber out to fix it was told all they would do is turn the water off as I had done and would not fix it as the old saying goes you get what you pay for if it comes free with your insurance don’t expect a lot
  13. Avatar
    snapper03/10/2021 08:24

The free home emergency can be a waste of time I had a burst pipe under …The free home emergency can be a waste of time I had a burst pipe under the kitchen sink turned the water off rang them up expecting them to send a plumber out to fix it was told all they would do is turn the water off as I had done and would not fix it as the old saying goes you get what you pay for if it comes free with your insurance don’t expect a lot

The same can be true of the ones you actually sign up for and pay for. So many caveats etc to get out of paying for things.
  14. Avatar
    Put £15 per month in a jar. Get to know one reliable local tradesman to call out. Pay with money in jar.
Post a comment
Top Merchants