Anyone travelled around Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar?!

There is a group of us climbing Kilimanjaro for charity. We were able to extend the flight back meaning we have 8 days to kill around there. Our group leaders have planned this:

Day 10 (29th Aug) Safari: 2 days and 2 nights with around 10 hour’s game viewing. This is an awesome short safari visiting Lake Manyara set on the floor of the Great Rift Valley, travelling in 4x4’s with a crate of ‘cold and bubbly’ in the fridge provided, with ‘pop tops’ (jazzy) in search of the BIG 5.

Day 11 (30th Aug) Safari day 2: Will be dedicated to searching for Rhino’s at the Ngorongoro Crater, Hippo’s at the lake and Lions which inhabit the crater floor.

Day 12 (31st Aug) We will get a ‘bus’ to Dar Es Salaam at 6 am (nice and early ) getting dropped off at Ubiungu for a ‘ferry’ to PARADISE (Zanzibar) check out google images if you don’t believe me.

Day 13 (1st September) Kendwa: Is a beach resort in Zanzibar where we will stay in beach huts and food is very good and cheap chomp on some lobster or prawns of whatever seafood you want (or meat if you fancy). They should throw us a full moon party even if there is no full moon, just because there is loads of us.

Day 14 (2nd September) Kendwa: Basically do what you like here, loads to do in the sea and stuff like Snorkelling trips in the local Coral Gardens at $10, or round the northern tip of Zanzibar to Mnemba Island on the east coast (full day for $17 - $20), where you get the chance to see some pretty special ‘sea stuff’.

Day 15 (3rd Spetember) Jambiani: Just check out this video youtube.com/wat…ded and this overlandafrica.com/ove…asp

Day 16 (4th September) We will then go from Kendwa to Stone Town (a UNESCO world heritage site) it is the old part of Zanzibar with loads of history, so plenty to do, we will stay overnight in the Shanghai hotel. zanzibar.net/zan…own

Day 17 (5th September) Chill in Stone Town till we catch a ‘ferry’ at 15:45 to Dar es Salaam where we will spend the night.

Day 18 (6th September) Then we will get our last 6:00am bus to Nairobi where we will jam around and stay at a hotel.

Day 19 (7th September) Catch our flight home (fingers crossed) and make use of the free bar on the plane.

We've been quoted by the travel agency (Really Wild Travel Agency) £400 for all accommodation, travel, safari etc. Anything essential they've missed out on?!

5 Comments

I done the kilimanjaro climb in 2003 and been to tanzania/kenya a number of times...its an amazing place...and zanzibar is just wow...when at zanzibar go to a place called prisoner's island...

Also in dar go to a place called sea cliff and slipway...nice places to eat/desserts etc

Alos if your staying the night ngorongoro crater...there is a hotel called sopa lodge...this hotel is at the top/edge of the crater which looks down into it...and in the morning/evening your actually walking through the clouds
Edited by: "Abz" 14th Apr 2011

Original Poster

Abz

I done the kilimanjaro climb in 2003 and been to tanzania/kenya a number … I done the kilimanjaro climb in 2003 and been to tanzania/kenya a number of times...its an amazing place...and zanzibar is just wow...when at zanzibar go to a place called prisoner's island...Also in dar go to a place called sea cliff and slipway...nice places to eat/desserts etcAlos if your staying the night ngorongoro crater...there is a hotel called sopa lodge...this hotel is at the top/edge of the crater which looks down into it...and in the morning/evening your actually walking through the clouds

Awesome. How were you with the altitude?! That's my only worry! I don't want to go all that way, raised so much only to not get to the top... From what I've read you just need to get it slowly and drink plenty of water...

emhaslam

Awesome. How were you with the altitude?! That's my only worry! I don't … Awesome. How were you with the altitude?! That's my only worry! I don't want to go all that way, raised so much only to not get to the top... From what I've read you just need to get it slowly and drink plenty of water...

Take lots of water just eat sensible...chocolates will be good for your trip up and also salted peanuts...

how many days are taking to get to the peak...when i went i did the 6 day package where i spent a day at the 2nd camp to climatise...

also take some warm clothes when climbing...during the day it is boiling but at night it is freeezing...esp at the first camp when your staying in the rain forest...then also at the peak it will hit negative 20 or so..

the best advice i can give is just pace yourself...and altitude sickness is something you cant help...if you get it you get it and just make your way back down...dont try and be a hero and continue through it..as when i went there was a chinese lady who got altitude sickness and then as she made her way down she felt better so she turned round and started her climb...the next day she died whilst asleep...so just listen to your body!

But its defo an experience and some of the scenary is amazing!

Original Poster

Abz

.the next day she died whilst asleep

I didn't need to know that... haha

But cheers for the advice.

Our climbing schedule is:
Day 2 (21st June) Arrive in Nairobi then cross the border into Tanzania and drive to the foot of Kilimanjaro.

Day3 (22nd June) Enter Kilimanjaro National Park and trek to the Machame Campsite.

Day 4 (23rd June) Continue trekking onwards to the Shira Plateau.

Day 5 (24th June) Navigate past the Lava Tower and onwards to camp n Barranco Valley.

Day 6 (25th June) Continue trekking upwards to the summit camp at Barafu.

Day 7 (26th June) Reach the summit for sunrise and a slow descent down to Mweka Camp.

Day 8 (27th June) Exit the Kilimanjaro National Park for a well earned shower and rest.

Is that sensible/similar to what you did? (not that I can change that...)
Edited by: "emhaslam" 14th Apr 2011

Original Poster

mumbojumbo

That's a fair tour. £50 a day for 8 days is about right.Don't expect too … That's a fair tour. £50 a day for 8 days is about right.Don't expect too much. "Safari" is a bit tame these days - expect to see loads of other white minibuses doing the same thing. Zanzibar likewise may not be the picture postcard destination you envisaged - expect beachboy hustlers. Enjoy it for what it is!

Always the way these days. Having a flick through on google images the towns in Zanzibar looks really cool aswell so I'd be more than happy to potter around the towns instead of the beach. Can't see anything comparing with Phi Phi when I went last year with family - that had some awesome beaches!

Not too fussed if it's busy on safari, aslong as I get to see the animals!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Better watch out for these...914
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763990
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087

See more discussions