Groups

Anyone travelled on the Caledonian Sleeper in a shared berth? Security?

I need to fly from London Heathrow and to minimise time I'm considering travelling overnight via the Caledonian Sleeper as this fits in with the flight schedule.

My concern with sharing is what security options are available as I'll be travelling with a few expensive items, while I can insure them that's not much use if get stolen on the way. Is there any way to secure luggage?

Thanks,
    John

7 Comments

Train manager MAY look after things for you, other than that get a big chunky padlock.

They'll not put you in with a female - mixed sexes are a no-no.

Though you may well get a berth to yourself if its quiet....

Oh, and I don't want to put you off, but the sleeper can be bad for delays (3+ hours aren't unknown), not too often but it can happen.

Original Poster

I know it will be another male although theft isn't limited to either gender, I don't know what the berths are actually like. If there's no actual facility I'm going to need to lock the bags but I'll need something within the cabin I can lock the bags to.

John

Johnmcl7;4984061

I know it will be another male although theft isn't limited to either … I know it will be another male although theft isn't limited to either gender, I don't know what the berths are actually like. If there's no actual facility I'm going to need to lock the bags but I'll need something within the cabin I can lock the bags to.John

From memory there are support posts for the bunks etc which should be fine.

I wouldn't worry too much, theft is fairly rare.

The police usually get called to remove drunken a*seholes from the seated coach enroute... :-D

Original Poster

I realise I'm perhaps being overly cautious but I'd be gutted to lose my camera bag - it sounds like physical security is the way to go if I can lock the bags closed and lock them to something.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;4984345

I realise I'm perhaps being overly cautious but I'd be gutted to lose my … I realise I'm perhaps being overly cautious but I'd be gutted to lose my camera bag - it sounds like physical security is the way to go if I can lock the bags closed and lock them to something.John

I can do some freelance security for a fee

Original Poster

That's it all booked so hopefully all will be ok...

John

just pop them in the bunk next to you if you are that worried,you are being a bit too cautious
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64511
      2. Win A Galaxy Note 8 With Caseology & AndroidHeadlines *** ENDS TODAY ***11
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1122
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55

See more discussions