anyone tried gripit blue to hold tv? (plasterboard/hollow wall)

Found 26th Jun
i have a hollow wall which I want to mount a tv, my builder said its not possible due to the wall

but I came across something called gripit which says it is for plasterboard. (there is nothing behind the plasterboard) the wall connects to the bathroom wall, so when we drilled - the hole came through the bathroom tile

will gripit work?

gripitfixings.co.uk/pro…951
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The plasterboard must be mounted against battens somewhere. Get a multi detector and find them. Fix a cross member directly into these, then fix TV to that. That's the safe option.
25 Comments
Your builder is an idiot.

Yes the gripit fixings are designed to take heavy weights, so should do the job. ( It was on dragons den if I remember correctly).
The plasterboard must be mounted against battens somewhere. Get a multi detector and find them. Fix a cross member directly into these, then fix TV to that. That's the safe option.
I was tempted to get Gripits a while back and watched plenty of youtube videos about them. Seem to work well enough from reviews when fitted correctly. Shame the wife said no to me drilling such large holes into the plasterboard.
Darzen32 m ago

Your builder is an idiot. Yes the gripit fixings are designed to take …Your builder is an idiot. Yes the gripit fixings are designed to take heavy weights, so should do the job. ( It was on dragons den if I remember correctly).

An idiot may be over doing it. He be drawing on experience of people agreeing one thing and then doing something ever so slightly different where the answer would have been No. Such as, in this instance, deciding to use a bracket that swing or tilts away from the wall. Even by an inch. Note the video shows a very flush mounted bracket so the turning moment is practically none existent as it is vertical/parallel to the wall.

Personally, I would not use this. I would look at fixings more like this screwfix.com/p/e…57x (which will take the wall down with it if pulled) but that's probably because I am familiar with it and the grip it looks a bit like an Ikea thingummy to me. Nothing against Ikea.
I much prefer snaptoggles

34146509-STkzy.jpg

A video of various different fixings here

I have wall mounted loads of tv's on to hollow walls, As big as 50" but would be fine to mount larger ones as they tend to be even lighter these days. A typical 65" tv will weigh around 25kg.

A good video showing how much weight various fixing might be able to take here
Edited by: ".MUFC." 26th Jun
My 55”tv is attached to my plasterboard wall using standard wall plugs and wall bracket. Had no issues at all.

So using the gripit and the ones above will definitely give it the extra support if needed.
34149103-20rQt.jpg
34149103-H313E.jpg
mrty6 h, 10 m ago

The plasterboard must be mounted against battens somewhere. Get a multi …The plasterboard must be mounted against battens somewhere. Get a multi detector and find them. Fix a cross member directly into these, then fix TV to that. That's the safe option.

That isn't true. I saw a wall the other day that had no void. It was three layers of plaster board not much thicker than an inch total.
Now makes perfect sense why the house is so noisy
You just need a detector for the beams and electrics and your tv can be mounted.. whoever you spoke to doesn't know a thing about mounting by the sounds.
njpugh9049 m ago

That isn't true. I saw a wall the other day that had no void. It was three …That isn't true. I saw a wall the other day that had no void. It was three layers of plaster board not much thicker than an inch total.Now makes perfect sense why the house is so noisy

Not standard practice. Terrible idea.
mrty55 m ago

Not standard practice. Terrible idea.

That may be true, but this house was built in the last 20 years by one of the big house builders. And I would imagine that this is/was a standard practice of this company given every wall in the house was built this way
Yes, I use the blue ones to hang my TV up on a plasterboard wall. No issues
The blue gripits will do it no problem.
Snakeyes64616 h, 48 m ago

You just need a detector for the beams and electrics and your tv can be …You just need a detector for the beams and electrics and your tv can be mounted.. whoever you spoke to doesn't know a thing about mounting by the sounds.

What detector would I need ?
Thanks guys will try this. I just want something simple that works I’ve ordered blue
Snakeyes6462 h, 32 m ago

WICKES - JOIST AND STUD DETECTOR TIMBER PLASTER BOARD MIRROR TV BRACKETS …WICKES - JOIST AND STUD DETECTOR TIMBER PLASTER BOARD MIRROR TV BRACKETS PICTURES https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B81398O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0X3mBbZ361A8D

Are these easy to use so if it “beeps” or something there not a good spot to drill ?
Snakeyes6465 h, 49 m ago

WICKES - JOIST AND STUD DETECTOR TIMBER PLASTER BOARD MIRROR TV BRACKETS …WICKES - JOIST AND STUD DETECTOR TIMBER PLASTER BOARD MIRROR TV BRACKETS PICTURES https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B81398O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0X3mBbZ361A8D

Are you meant to drill the hole in the joist studs or meant to miss them
wakkaday10 m ago

Are you meant to drill the hole in the joist studs or meant to miss them

If you find the battens then don't drill a hole in them, simply screw the TV bracket directly into the battens using long enough wood screws to go through plasterboard and get a decent grip.

BUT ;

When you say you've drilled through the wall, did you feel the drill bit going through a void?

You need to establish that first before deciding what method of fixing, your plasterboard may be fixed using dots of no more nails type adhesive, which would indicate theres little or no void and no battens..
Edited by: "andynicol" 27th Jun
wakkaday3 h, 39 m ago

Are these easy to use so if it “beeps” or something there not a good spot t …Are these easy to use so if it “beeps” or something there not a good spot to drill ?

If it beeps when set to wood it'll beep when wood (beam) is there also beeps when electrical wires are there to avoid.
andynicol3 h, 25 m ago

If you find the battens then don't drill a hole in them, simply screw the …If you find the battens then don't drill a hole in them, simply screw the TV bracket directly into the battens using long enough wood screws to go through plasterboard and get a decent grip.BUT ; When you say you've drilled through the wall, did you feel the drill bit going through a void?You need to establish that first before deciding what method of fixing, your plasterboard may be fixed using dots of no more nails type adhesive, which would indicate theres little or no void and no battens..

yes it was void, there was no battons

my builder did this, but he didn;t check with a detector - its just a hollow walls it appears.
wakkaday19 h, 28 m ago

yes it was void, there was no battonsmy builder did this, but he didn;t …yes it was void, there was no battonsmy builder did this, but he didn;t check with a detector - its just a hollow walls it appears.

If theres a void there has to be battens somewhere, unless its been put up with massive blobs of adhesive thus creating a void ?
andynicol6 h, 12 m ago

If theres a void there has to be battens somewhere, unless its been put up …If theres a void there has to be battens somewhere, unless its been put up with massive blobs of adhesive thus creating a void ?

If there are battens ? Basically I need to avoid any m joists right
wakkaday11 h, 56 m ago

If there are battens ? Basically I need to avoid any m joists right

You’ll get a better fixing if you can catch the battens and screw directly through the plasterboard and into them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions