Anyone use a dehumidifier to dry clothes?

Found 15th Feb 2016
I'm thinking of getting a dehumidifier, but not only to extract water but dry clothes as I've heard they can be just as good and cheaper alternative to drying on the radiator or tumble drying. If you use a dehumidifier as such, how do you find it in comparison? Any recommendations?

Thank you

EDIT* I went with a dehumidifier which happened to be on lightning deals! Bit of luck there
Community Updates
AskDehumidifierClothes
12 Comments
Used to before we got a dryer. Not advised to dry on radiators. If you do, open windows to allow ventilation.

When we used dehumidifier it was actually pretty good. What we tried to do was dry clothes outside as much as possible, even for a short while if possible. Then put clothes on a clothes horse and leave dehumidifier on all night right next to it. Did the job.
I got a loan of one from council because had a leak which caused quite a lot of water damage the added bonus was how quick it dried me clothes but I have to add it was a large dehumidifier I had a loan of I don't know how well a smaller one would do
Got an ecoair one from Amazon around £100. They are superb for drying out clothes and it still amazes me how they collect the water. My one packed up because I forgot to clean the filter after a year and they exchanged it for me.
Warms the area also but could be a little expensive on the electricity.
In answer to your question, its cheaper than a tumble dryer and works well. You just need a large enough area to hang clothes near it.
get one, we've had the ecoair mk2 or something for nearly 5 years before we bought the mk5. amazing to dry clothes.
We use a DeLonghi DEM10 which we originally bought to deal with a damp issue but now use for drying clothes. It works really well, and we've had it for years.
Thank you for all the answers so far! Keep them coming would it be cheaper to say hang clothes up in a large cupboard and stick the dehumidifier in with them? That way the air circulates quicker and thus dry them quicker?
EN1GMA

Used to before we got a dryer. Not advised to dry on radiators. If you … Used to before we got a dryer. Not advised to dry on radiators. If you do, open windows to allow ventilation. When we used dehumidifier it was actually pretty good. What we tried to do was dry clothes outside as much as possible, even for a short while if possible. Then put clothes on a clothes horse and leave dehumidifier on all night right next to it. Did the job.

Why did you switch to a dryer?
We used to live in a 2 up 2 down so only had a few radiators so We used to fill the airer and put it in the down stairs loo (only a small bathroom) and put the humidifier in for an hour and it dried them, thicker clothing like jeans/jumpers ect took longer so would put them on the radiators! Because the radiators weren't always covered in clothes it meant the heating didnt have to be on as long to warm the house so we saved that way
deadleg22

Why did you switch to a dryer?

Growing family plus we had the space right next to the washing machine. Deal came up so thought why not. Certainly saves us loads of time.
Depends if you can stand the noise of them,I hate listening to mine so I'd never be able to leave it on all night,it gets on my nerves,a few hours is bad enough.

You will read reviews on some of them where people will comment it's noisy & others say it's quiet on the same model so I guess it depends how you are with noise X)
Works very well. Leave humidity sensor around 55-60% and clothes dry very well and also prevent condensation and mould problem.
got one from lidl when on offer, it has a clothes drying mode , it is very good for clothes you cant tumble x
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants