Expired

Anyone use electric shavers? - Whats the score with spots/irritation?

Found 23rd Mar 2013
Sick of wet shaving all the time so want to spend £100 odd on a nice electric shaver, problem is I don't want spots etc so is it a wise idea? Any advice appreciated.
Community Updates
AskElectronicsShaver
23 Comments
They are a massive con. Bought a nice £70 Braun one and I always get irritation and spots when using the traditional close shaver and it leaves patches. Useless, they're all pretty much the same as well.

Although saying that is has a trimmer on the back as well which doesn't do a close/clean shave but leaves a very short amount of stubble, that works brilliantly. It's the only thing I use my shaver for, I'm not employed in a formal job or anything so this kind of casual shave does me fine
Banned
All the men around me say they hate them for same reasons as you suspect.
Original Poster
MayingPrantis

Hmm, I was thinking this, I had one years ago and didn't really get on with it, but it wasn't majorly expensive, about £60 if I remember, this one is a £160 model which has just come down to £75 so I thought the more expensive the better.....

aircanman

Hmm, I was thinking this, I had one years ago and didn't really get on … Hmm, I was thinking this, I had one years ago and didn't really get on with it, but it wasn't majorly expensive, about £60 if I remember, this one is a £160 model which has just come down to £75 so I thought the more expensive the better.....

Just to clarify mine was £70 DOWN from £120. Was bought for my dad for Christmas, he used it once realised it was useless hence gave it to me.

Also shavers are ALWAYS "down from ...", it's a renowned sales technique always used on electric shavers.
Original Poster
JamesClark1991

Just to clarify mine was £70 DOWN from £120. Was bought for my dad for C … Just to clarify mine was £70 DOWN from £120. Was bought for my dad for Christmas, he used it once realised it was useless hence gave it to me.Also shavers are ALWAYS "down from ...", it's a renowned sales technique always used on electric shavers.

I suppose, this one has been £75 on Amazon for a bit, but has literally just come down from £150 odd with the likes of Currys, Argos etc, I am aware of the tactics used, but I do think this is a good deal, the issue is how good/useless it will be, surely there are some electric shaver users on here!!!
Banned
I think its nicer to treat yourself with luxury items for a wet shave, you get more pleasure and a better shave or so I hear.
I buy this shaving gel for all the men around me, and they all LOVE it, try it.
http://www.escentual.com/images/product/avene0073/0001/avene0073_0001-zoomProd.png
aircanman

Hmm, I was thinking this, I had one years ago and didn't really get on … Hmm, I was thinking this, I had one years ago and didn't really get on with it, but it wasn't majorly expensive, about £60 if I remember, this one is a £160 model which has just come down to £75 so I thought the more expensive the better.....

Price is not always correlated with quality.

For what its worth, the people I know whose skin gets irritated by a close shave use a trimmer on a very low setting - if you don't have thick or dark hair you can probably get away with this for formal work too.
Original Poster
Lynx

Thanks, I am aware of this.
MayingPrantis

MayingPrantis

I buy this shaving gel for all the men around me, and they all LOVE it, … I buy this shaving gel for all the men around me, and they all LOVE it, try it.

You sound like you come into contact with a lot of men oO
Do Apple not have a Shaving app?

Seriously you just can't beat a wet shave, Electric shavers always irritate me and never get anywhere near as close.

aircanman

Lynx

aircanman

Thanks, I am aware of this.

It appears not...

Edited by: "Lynx" 23rd Mar 2013
Original Poster
shauneco

Do Apple not have a Shaving app?Seriously you just can't beat a wet … Do Apple not have a Shaving app?Seriously you just can't beat a wet shave, Electric shavers always irritate me and never get anywhere near as close.

I believe they do, Android have one also, but it only works on up to half of all Android devices.....
Banned
MayingPrantis

MayingPrantis

I buy this shaving gel for all the men around me, and they all LOVE it, … I buy this shaving gel for all the men around me, and they all LOVE it, try it.

Haha I was waiting for that comment and yes I do, nature of the job and no don't think about it haha
Edited by: "MayingPrantis" 23rd Mar 2013
I have a braun series 7 cost £160 and it is god awful! always leaves short hair and doesn't ever get as near as a razor but personally having a skin condition and scars on my face it is near on impossible to wet shave without doing some serious damage lol
i use my electric shaver occasionally,it's fine if used day after a wet shave and if shave again with it early next day any longer and it leaves stubble.also better if used with a pre-shave so skin is dry save snagging and rashes.
I use a Philips HQ7390 shaver which was £40 in the "sale" at boots, I quite like it. I need to shave every day and if I wet shave every day I get shaver rash on my neck. So I tend to electric shave every day then wet shave once a week.

The electric shave does a good job on my face (not quite as good as a wet shave) but tends to miss a few on my neck. The wet shave once a week then catches any I missed.

The electric shave doesn't irritate my skin at all.

I also like that when I've slept in I can shave whilst walking round the house, or eating my breakfast etc.
I always use a rotary head one like a Philips or a Remington. The ones that pull and cut. They make you sore for the first week but so what we're blokes aren't we :-) wouldn't pay more than 15 quid either, it's only a motor and battery.
what about the electric wet shavers are they any better or do you still get rash spots etc

I used to be sick of wet shaving but just like most people, didn't get much joy from electric shavers due to irritation etc. I then discovered arko shaving soap and have started to actually enjoy wet shaving!! It really leaves your skin feeling smooth and taut after you've shaved. Would recommend you try them. £3 a stick or £15 for 12......barberblades.co.uk/ind…=56
Got my son a Philips wet and dry shaver as he has bad skin and his skin has got better .
I find I get irritation under my chin and around my neck after electric shaving, I use a bit of sudocrem afterwards which seems to help it clear up fast....
A lot of people that use electric shavers for the first time often do not know (the manual should state this though, but not all manufacturers include this) that the skin needs up to 3 months(!) to get used to it. Irritation may occur during that time, but will eventually ease off. Having gone through this myself, I can confirm that this seems to be true.
Original Poster
dcx_badass

Is that similar to not even having a Facebook app on a lot of ios devices?

Got facebook on all of my ios devices??
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants