Anyone use whatsapp?

Found 12th Sep 2017
I have been using whatsapp for the last 6 months and think it is a great tool to communicate, especially sending photos, videos and files as you can just choose the photos, videos, files from your phone and off it goes instantly over wifi so does not cost for multi media message sending over SMS for example.

When I give someone my mobile number, I am on their whatsapp contact list but they ask me if it is OK for them to contact me over whatsapp, which I find an odd question as I would have thought that if I gave them my mobile number, it does not matter if they contact me via phonecall, SMS or whatsapp. Therefore I get the impression that people tend to use whatsapp only for personal communication and not for all communication, unlike emails, SMS or phone calls.

Am I right in thinking this? If you use whatsapp, do you use it the way you would use SMS and email for example or do you tend to keep it only for personal communication with friends?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
no one has ever asked If thy can use Whatsapp to contact me , they just do.
Yeah, I use WhatsApp, it's probably better than sending SMS too. Mainly been using it to keep in touch with family and friends, it's very handy. The advantage with WhatsApp is that you can have group conversations whereas with SMS tends to be mainly individual.

The only downside, if you'd like to call it that, is you get loads of messages one after the other occasionally which can be annoying though I do tend to leave the notification sounds off and just leave on vibrate which makes it more bearable.

Definitely better for sending photos too as you've pointed out.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 12th Sep 2017
99% of people I communicate to is on whats app and the 1% that uses sms, I told them to get on it or use signal. Signal being the most secure though whatsapp does use signal tech (but who knows what facebook is doing with the data i guess). I basically use whatsapp as main communication to elminiate sms alltoher, I think people should think the same...or get singal
I've got friends who have Whatsapp, but they seem to prefer to use a text message which I hate, I prefer Messenger, although the emoticons are a bit lame in that app.
They may ask you if they can contact you via whatsapp because like my parents they have a pay as you go sim and only have access to whatsapp when they are connected to wifi. Might be a reason anyway!

I mainly use whatsapp - even though i have unlimited sms/data

Whatsapp is just easier communicating in general with groups and sending files etc. And also voice calls/messages.
How many time has someone asked if they can contact you by WhatsApp after you've given them your number. We need to know this to answer this important question.
I use Whatsapp as much as possible because I travel a lot and have a lot of contacts who don't live in the UK (as well as in places like Canada where sending a text to someone varies in cost depending on where they live, it isn't all inclusive across the country like it is in the UK). I also have a travel SIM card that allows unlimited free Whatsapp (including voice and video) which helps to keep roaming costs down outside of the EU.

I wish they'd come up with more plans that have minimal minutes and texts, rather than including thousands of each and bumping up the price.
Original Poster
If someone sends me a photo or video and i open the whatsapp message when I am out and about, so not on wifi but data. Would I be using huge data as the photo and videos would be heavy? Or does it not work like that
mutley158 m ago

If someone sends me a photo or video and i open the whatsapp message when …If someone sends me a photo or video and i open the whatsapp message when I am out and about, so not on wifi but data. Would I be using huge data as the photo and videos would be heavy? Or does it not work like that

Heavy? 0's and 1's weigh pretty much the same
Random question award of the day surely?
chocci10 h, 18 m ago

Random question award of the day surely?

You can always rely on mutley.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants