Anyone used a hybrid SSHD hard drive for gaming?

Found 1st Sep 2017
Need to get a new external hard drive for the Xbox and was considering one of the hybrid. I've read a few articles and understand that the hybrids work best when reloading repeated data which I think has limited value for shooters unless you die a lot.
Aprt from fps I play a lot of open world type games like mass effect and tomb raider, so I was curious if anyone knows if the SSHD benefits these games
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
It depends on what you're doing, I suppose. If you're playing the same games repeatedly, the drives should train themselves to put a thin slither of the most frequently used data on the two or three atoms' worth of solid-state cache they have built into them. That should help shave a few femtoseconds off loading your games up.

You'd get considerably better performance from a full-fat SSD, though. Personally, I'd rather economize on the number of games I have installed than on the performance of the hardware, though. I'd much rather swap a game in by deleting something I'm not playing and downloading something new overnight than suffer crap performance with everything.
Original Poster
I do tend to play one game through to completion then move on rather than chopping about each night playing a selection of games. I wasn't sure if the SSD part of the drive would come into play with the open world games where your often travelling to new areas of the map and doing loads of stuff there then moving to another new area.
I have a firecuda in my PS4 Pro and yes it makes a difference to load times, these drives are intelligent drives and work as such, they're not simplistic in how they operate, even after a single load your get increased load times, after three or four loads your at SSD speeds.

They only have 8GB of NAND memory, but that's all they need as games only ever load a max of 8GB.

The only place your see improvement is during any loading phase nothing else, whether it's loading from start or in game loads, games don't run from your hard drive they run from memory (RAM 8GB)
Edited by: "4Real2016" 2nd Sep 2017
I think storage is more important than load times, you seriously can't wait 3-8 seconds more? (SSHD vs HDD). I got couple of these click.
RiverDragon810 m ago

I think storage is more important than load times, you seriously can't …I think storage is more important than load times, you seriously can't wait 3-8 seconds more? (SSHD vs HDD). I got couple of these click.

Except some games are 65 - 70 seconds faster.
Original Poster
I'm not considering ssd drives as the cost of any decent size is prohibitive and I don't want a small capacity external drive even if it is quick. if I could easily replace the Xbox internal drive I'd put a small ssd and a larger second drive with the games in more frequent use on the ssd. But I can't do that.

So I'm looking for a 2tb external drive, and could get a seagate or WD for £65-75 or the seagate firecuda SSHD for £83, so there's not a massive cost variance in it but i need some feedback from someone whose used an SSHD in a console
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants