Expired

Anyone used a professional snagging company before?

Found 13th Oct 2017Edited by:"xsor"
Looking to have someone do the snagging list for me..

and my choices have been narrowed down to:
newbuildinspections.com/
homesnag.co.uk

Has anyone done it, and was it worth it?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Recently saw an item on BBC Watchdog, Dominic Littlewood going round a New Build with someone from New Build Inspections. Might not be the same company as above, but the link is Here
I wish I had used one of these. The problem is that most new home buyers are excited and keen to get in there and either see past the snags or simply do not know what they are looking for. I was caught in the middle in a way - some things I picked up on, others I simply had no idea were there.

My builders did not do a great job and I have had them back several times over the last few years. This is our second new build home and I would never buy another again....absolutely no way.
brettytopbanana13th Oct

I wish I had used one of these. The problem is that most new home buyers …I wish I had used one of these. The problem is that most new home buyers are excited and keen to get in there and either see past the snags or simply do not know what they are looking for. I was caught in the middle in a way - some things I picked up on, others I simply had no idea were there. My builders did not do a great job and I have had them back several times over the last few years. This is our second new build home and I would never buy another again....absolutely no way.

What are the type of snags you missed out? I planning to follow a guide/checklist, as it seems like it's always the same few problems.

Grouts not being filled properly, holes, alignments etc - nothing that I can't do without a list..
Look, a house is your single most valuable asset. An independent Inspection by a reputable Snagging agent will hold more weight when it comes to approaching the building company. It is also easier to say and cross off the list the works that need to be done rather than the builder making you feel unreasonable in some of your requests and arguing or swaying your opinion.
How much does a report cost? and weigh that up against your time and energy and possible conflict with the builder
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 15th Oct 2017
Toptrumpet5 h, 34 m ago

Look, a house is your single most valuable asset. An independent …Look, a house is your single most valuable asset. An independent Inspection by a reputable Snagging agent will hold more weight when it comes to approaching the building company. It is also easier to say and cross off the list the works that need to be done rather than the builder making you feel unreasonable in some of your requests and arguing or swaying your opinion.How much does a report cost? and weigh that up against your time and energy and possible conflict with the builder

Yes, but looking online - there's not a whole lot of reviews or evidence that these are a massive help to buyers of new builds.

Right now, all I'm seeing is, I wish I had that service, these guys were on the BBC - so what..? If they done a bad job on telly, god knows how crap they are in real life lol.

I was hoping for people who had actually used this kind of service, and tell me more about how, "I would have never thought I could get this fixed, or found out this problem myself".

I hope you get what I mean - and thank you for your advice
Toptrumpet5 h, 43 m ago

Look, a house is your single most valuable asset. An independent …Look, a house is your single most valuable asset. An independent Inspection by a reputable Snagging agent will hold more weight when it comes to approaching the building company. It is also easier to say and cross off the list the works that need to be done rather than the builder making you feel unreasonable in some of your requests and arguing or swaying your opinion.How much does a report cost? and weigh that up against your time and energy and possible conflict with the builder

I'll probably get it in the end, just unsure what company to go for.

As you've said, it's just a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Have you had a look on dedicated New Build forum sites such as This
Toptrumpet58 m ago

Have you had a look on dedicated New Build forum sites such as This

Indeed I have, I've done a lot of research - there isn't really a lot of content or threads about people's experience with professional snagging companies.

Like the forum you sent me, most are just simply asking how to claim, can this snag be claimed etc. I have even tried posting on MSM, which seems like the more active forum than most - and got very little replies with personal experience.

I think I just have to accept that a small minority who buys, uses this service, then a smaller minority of those people are just people who do not use internet as much etc.

I will probably give those two companies a call and ask them what more they can do compared to an ordinary person.

Thanks again TT for taking the time to help ^^
xsor15th Oct

What are the type of snags you missed out? I planning to follow a …What are the type of snags you missed out? I planning to follow a guide/checklist, as it seems like it's always the same few problems.Grouts not being filled properly, holes, alignments etc - nothing that I can't do without a list..

Sorry for the late reply.

There were many things like bad paintwork that can only be seen in certain light. Poorly fitted windows which at first glance looked perfect. We had issues with flooring, bad woodwork, loose paving slabs in the garden - there was a lot but I cannot remember it all now!
brettytopbanana2 h, 7 m ago

Sorry for the late reply.There were many things like bad paintwork that …Sorry for the late reply.There were many things like bad paintwork that can only be seen in certain light. Poorly fitted windows which at first glance looked perfect. We had issues with flooring, bad woodwork, loose paving slabs in the garden - there was a lot but I cannot remember it all now!

No problem, and thanks.

I will probably get a professional snagger, but it doesn't help that the so called 'top' company, who has been employed by BBC and cited in articles has not even replied to my simple email.

It makes me think twice of how much more disappointing it can be if I gave them my money..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants