Anyone used an MHL adaptor? (mine won't charge my phone)

Found 16th Apr 2012
Just received an MHL adaptor for my Sensation XE. Display the phone's images onto the TV really well but when in use it refuses to charge my phone at all. I have the side port plugged in.via my phone's original mains charger.

Bought it from a Hong Kong seller on eBay. Has he sent me a dud or is there some sort of setting I should be changing?

5 Comments

Original Poster

According to feature #7 of the auction listing it's supposed to "Power your cell phone while It's in use with the charger." Same thing seems to be said on XDA Forum that it's supossed to charge the phone while in use.

I've tried rebooting as recommended in the tips on the auction listing but it stops working completely then until you perform another reboot (cable has to be plugged in while the phone is switched on for it to work). I'm also still on the stock ROM and the phone never been rooted - as again recommended in the tips.

Here is the aucton I bought it from: ebay.co.uk/itm…910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Mine only works when connected to the plug charger, not a usb port.

I don't think USB provides enough power to power the MHL cable and charge the phone.

Original Poster

Bobbajob

Mine only works when connected to the plug charger, not a usb port.I … Mine only works when connected to the plug charger, not a usb port.I don't think USB provides enough power to power the MHL cable and charge the phone.

It was the mains I was using but no joy getting it to charge my phone. As soon as I disconnect the MHL and plug the mains charger directly into my phone it starts charging straight away. Presumably a faulty MHL or maybe some compatibility problems with my phone I'm not sure?

What phone do you have mate?

Mines a Galaxy S2. My MHL was a cheapo one from eBay and it's very flaky. Sometimes takes a couple of attempts plugging it in and out to get it detected.

The problem I have with mine is that it disables wireless when you plug in a MHL adaptor, apparently this is a feature to avoid interference. But I was going to use it to stream freeview or iplayer to a portable tv.

Original Poster

Bobbajob

Mines a Galaxy S2. My MHL was a cheapo one from eBay and it's very flaky. … Mines a Galaxy S2. My MHL was a cheapo one from eBay and it's very flaky. Sometimes takes a couple of attempts plugging it in and out to get it detected.The problem I have with mine is that it disables wireless when you plug in a MHL adaptor, apparently this is a feature to avoid interference. But I was going to use it to stream freeview or iplayer to a portable tv.

I bought mine to stream football to my TV. When I tested it out yesterday the WiFi worked fine and the stream (tennis on Sky Sports 1 via Virtual Season site) played flawlessly on the TV. It's just the charging the phone while in use that I'm having the problems with.

I also tested it with my gf's Galaxy Europa, which albeit only a cheapo Android that isn't compatible with MHL / HDMI, I assumed that if the charge was going to get through to the phone it would have got through regardless. But her phone wouldn't charge with it either.

I've got a couple of mates in work with SG2s. I'll ask them if I can test it on their phones first before complaining to the seller.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions