Anyone used Gumtree and within mins get spam calls???

Posted 24th Jan 2019
Hi in the last week I listed 4 things on Gumtree, with 2 mins of listing a new item each time I get pestered by people, usually foreign, claimimng to be from insurance claims companies offering me compensation. Surely this isnt a co-incidence and wonder if anyone else had the same issue when listing with gumtree?
When i call them out for being scammers i usually get a torrent of abuse, so now i play a game with them and be really sarcastic and thank them for the advance warning of my car accident or ask them to hold while i answer the door!
I mean my job ain't the best but doing this for a living , trying to scam people all day every day, must erode your humanity.
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
No, but then I never put my phone number on it, just my email address.
Youve put your Phone Number on the World Wide Wait, so expect the worse.

Gumtree only Hide the Number to Non Members, a quick Sign Up with them and every Phone Number is discoverable.
You put your number on gumtree...

What do you expect haha
Edited by: "ashmac" 24th Jan 2019
If you think you don't require giving out your personal number on any online forms then enter 0333 88 88 88 88 instead.
I use a paygo number for gumtree for this very reason.

As soon as I slap something on gumtree.. boom... phone rings with spammers on the end. They've even started calling using mobile numbers now..crafty. The last time this happened, I told them that he got my number from gumtree, the indian chap replied saying that he did and he's sorry.

So yes, they get numbers off gumtree and they will probably add it to their database and sell on that database once they're done with it. Your number is now doomed for a lifetime of spam calls. Unlucky.
J4GG424/01/2019 17:17

I use a paygo number for gumtree for this very reason.As soon as I slap …I use a paygo number for gumtree for this very reason.As soon as I slap something on gumtree.. boom... phone rings with spammers on the end. They've even started calling using mobile numbers now..crafty. The last time this happened, I told them that he got my number from gumtree, the indian chap replied saying that he did and he's sorry.So yes, they get numbers off gumtree and they will probably add it to their database and sell on that database once they're done with it. Your number is now doomed for a lifetime of spam calls. Unlucky.

If you're entering your mobile number you could also block it with the truecaller app, not related to the above number by the way. Not sure if there's an app for iOS though.

I also keep my landline unplugged now as well as I keep getting numbers for Mr Sharky.
My number is but I don't get these types of calls. My phone auto blocks it maybe!
I never put my number on an online form of any description. I only use my email address on Gumtree, if a prospective buyer provides me with their mobile number only then will I call them back to discuss sale.
Funny that i put something on gumtree a couple of months ago literally withing seconds 2 junk calls
Yes unfortunately gumtree is a phone number mining source for spammers
I just got a call from 02072427065. I used a different name to advertise and the guy was asking for me under that name. I asked where he got number from and he said he got it from accident database. I said you it from gumtree you little ****. He said sorry to waste your time and hung up. No matter how many numbers you block they always call from another number.
that's probably because you have put your phone number on the advert as others have said.
Yes this literally just happened to me and I googled it and this thread came up as the top result.

They called me within minutes, even got two at the same time! I have taken my number off now, not doing making that mistake again. Not sure if there's even anything Gumtree can do about it
I've just had the same issue. It really upset me as they wouldn't stop calling.
I am new to gumtree so what a welcoming party it was...lesson learned.
I have just had a call from the same man with an Indian accent that i have told numerous times to stop calling. everytime i tell him i havent had an accident he just starts talking over you and trying to pressurise you. I told him i know he got my number from gumtree and he claimed to not know what that was and that he suddenly didnt understand me. So when i said No you do understand, he hung up. I called the number back and a poor old lady told me that her number was being used by scammers that are spoofing the number to come up on your caller id when you call to seem as though they are a legit company. Sh said she has lost count how many people have called her back with the same issue and left voicemails. Dont even think blocking the number helps as they just use another numberand call you again!

Yes i put my number up on gumtree and this is not stupid and it not "what i should expect" I should be able to put mycontact information for people to contact me regarding items i am selling as dont always have email access. We shouldnt have to accommodate for these dirty crimminals!!!!!
Same issue here. You would think that gumtree wouldn't post it in a way that causes these sorts of problems. I'm astonished that these people, who seem to be calling from India, manage to scam anyone like this - the last guy hardly spoke English.
thanks op, keep meaning to put my camera on gumtree
Any time I post a vehicle on gumtree I get the cold calls. It starts with hello my name is...... Calling from some accident solicitors then the words we believe you have had an accident. I reply yes then they put me through to someone else then the second person asks what happened in the accident I then go on to tell them that I slept with my brothers wife and now she's pregnant. Before I can say that's the only accident that I've had they hang up.
Love it!
I never put phone numbers as a contact anymore - just Email. Saying that though, I'm getting fed up of receiving messages from people asking questions etc. about an item - and then NEVER hear from them again. It seems to happen EVERY time I list something now?

I really don't get it. Fair enough, perhaps they changed their mind and no longer want/need etc. but it's just weird that it happens EVERY time now. Not sure of the point unless they get a kick out of wasting a bit of my time...
Phsycronix10/12/2019 12:30

I never put phone numbers as a contact anymore - just Email. Saying that …I never put phone numbers as a contact anymore - just Email. Saying that though, I'm getting fed up of receiving messages from people asking questions etc. about an item - and then NEVER hear from them again. It seems to happen EVERY time I list something now?I really don't get it. Fair enough, perhaps they changed their mind and no longer want/need etc. but it's just weird that it happens EVERY time now. Not sure of the point unless they get a kick out of wasting a bit of my time...

39312895-rUG4m.jpg
BadMF10/12/2019 12:42

[Image]

That's about the gist of it BadMF. Haha. How on earth did you find that picture!
Found it online, and I've sent it to many people on the facebook marketplace!
Yes , same with me Phsycronix - piccie sums it up BadMF - although some genuine buyers the amount of fake calls and people asking if its for sale and never to be heard of again is one of lifes mysteries.. Aliens?, the CIA? Eastern Bloc scammers or just saddo's with far too much time on their hands.
Arbu06/11/2019 11:32

Same issue here. You would think that gumtree wouldn't post it in a way …Same issue here. You would think that gumtree wouldn't post it in a way that causes these sorts of problems. I'm astonished that these people, who seem to be calling from India, manage to scam anyone like this - the last guy hardly spoke English.

Read a few Gumtree ads, you'll quickly realise that they, very often, aren't written by the brightest of people.
I've seen "chester draws for sail"
Gumtree sellers are the perfect demographic for scammers.
I don't understand why anyone is surprised here.
Edited by: "Erudite" 12th Dec 2019
Erudite12/12/2019 09:03

Read a few Gumtree ads, you'll quickly realise that they, very often, …Read a few Gumtree ads, you'll quickly realise that they, very often, aren't written by the brightest of people.I've seen "chester draws for sail"Gumtree sellers are the perfect demographic for scammers.I don't understand why anyone is surprised here.

Tell me about it! Hehe. I get a good giggle every day reading some of the adverts. Grammar is definitely in decline if Gumtree is used as any benchmark. I especially like the ones where there's a photo of the item with a name clearly printed on it - say an Epson printer - and they still manage to spell it "Epsom."

My fave's are vehicles where there's no photo and they just put "Car for sale" - no make/model or details! It might just say "Runs grate."
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants