Anyone used http://www.cheap-coal.co.uk/

Found 12th Jul 2013

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

Please think of the climate

seems ok and free del, you'd be a Fuel not to......oO

Not that cheap, we pay £13 for 50kg Ovals, theirs are £9.50 for 25kg and £17.99 for 50kg, what area are you in? Maybe try a local solid fuel merchant.

Original Poster

They are cheaper for the stuff I was looking at then anything local. But they are local in the west midlands

Original Poster

cheap-coal.co.uk/win…tml

Ordered 30 of those, will let you know. found other sites saying it was okay.

Banned

Adam2050

Ordered 30 of those, will let you know. found other sites saying it was … Ordered 30 of those, will let you know. found other sites saying it was okay.

Just being nosey......how do you get through so much coal?

Original Poster

DJ1

Just being nosey......how do you get through so much coal?

Never have, first time here. But after last winter I've stocked up. Have a boiler that runs the heating, with 9 radiators. Do you not believe I will use 3/4 of tonne?

Banned

Adam2050

Never have, first time here. But after last winter I've stocked up. Have … Never have, first time here. But after last winter I've stocked up. Have a boiler that runs the heating, with 9 radiators. Do you not believe I will use 3/4 of tonne?

Oh, that makes sense then. I thought you just had a small coal fire in one room and were stocking up for the next decade!

Original Poster

DJ1

Oh, that makes sense then. I thought you just had a small coal fire in … Oh, that makes sense then. I thought you just had a small coal fire in one room and were stocking up for the next decade!

Ha no, Id be surprised if that lasts me.

[quote=Adam2050]cheap-coal.co.uk/win…tml

Ordered 30 of those, will let you know. found other sites saying it was okay.[/quote

Our local coal merchant sell 50kg of ovals for multi-fuel burners at £18 per 50 kg, these would work out at £17 per 50kg when you factor in delivery. Anyone got any better deals inc delivery?

Adam2050

Never have, first time here. But after last winter I've stocked up. Have … Never have, first time here. But after last winter I've stocked up. Have a boiler that runs the heating, with 9 radiators. Do you not believe I will use 3/4 of tonne?

We tend to use about a bag and a half a week so 75kg so 30 bags = 10 weeks useage at our rate assuming it burns at about the same rate as ovals.

Original Poster

harlzter

We tend to use about a bag and a half a week so 75kg so 30 bags = 10 … We tend to use about a bag and a half a week so 75kg so 30 bags = 10 weeks useage at our rate assuming it burns at about the same rate as ovals.

You using wood on top of that?

Coal, get 'ur coal!

Adam2050

You using wood on top of that?

Only to light it first off, the rest of the time its just topped up with coal for most of the winter without going out. If it gets too hot I put a shovel of ash from the ash pan on the top and it dampens it down without burning much at all and a quick jiggle of the poker and its going again (can leave it overnight in this state and get it going within minutes with no messing).

When its not so cold and for a quick heat in autumn/spring or a tank of hot water we burn wood that is given us (a neighbour is an odd job type guy and we often find a pile of wood waiting by the gate for us usually offcuts from timber decking and the like). Never had to buy wood in the last 5/6 years.

Summer fuel prices usually finish at the end of August.

For 30 x 25kg bags of Phurnacite, I've found the following prices:

£318.28 porrettasupplies.co.uk/phu…ite
(Edited to add: they charge £30 for delivery)

£327.00 fuels4u.com/def…tml
(Edited to add: £75 minimum order (8 sacks); no delivery charge; no quantity discount)

£382.50 cheap-coal.co.uk/win…tml

I believe "Cheap-coal" stack the delivery, while it's a pallet delivery for the cheaper options. I've dealt with tonne deliveries and they're a lot easier if the sacks are 10 - 20kg each. These guys advertise on eBay and sell 20kg bags (their pro rata price for 750kg is £360): awparkercoalmerchants.co.uk/onl…hop

CPL's website coals2u.co.uk is charging £376.20 for 750kg and the same pro rata price for a tonne. This is with the summer discount, which is worth £32 a tonne, but I've always been quoted a lower price when I phone them e.g. £461.20 currently, for a tonne of Phurnacite in 25kg bags. I would normally order the 50kg open sack option (about £400/tonne) but my coal-shed's full of sawdust briquettes. Need to order 250kg to get a discount, but the delivery is free and stacked for you, which is costing £25.20/tonne comparing CPL's phone price against £436/tonne for a pallet delivery from fuels4u.
Edited by: "catnap" 28th Aug 2013

Just ordered with them as living in the midlands the price seemed very reasonable to me but then again id tended to get from a local farm and garage up till now so not surprising.

What is there customer service like? do they ring to arrange a delivery time etc

I used Fuels4U because they were the best value at the time, whereas Cheap-Coal had already finished their summer discount.

Something went wrong with the payment, so I phoned them (ISTR I had to find the number on a different website). Then the delivery wasn't as soon as expected because they hadn't any stock, so I was offered something "just as good", which I refused. I think I asked to be informed of the new delivery day, and got a call beforehand. CPL are good about letting you know, but I don't think any of 'em will tell you the hour or even morning/afternoon.

The wagon was painted as Fuels4U and the driver was great, and stacked my tonne order. He didn't have a trolley, and was pleased to use mine. He told me that several of these companies work from the same office. They have customers ordering two or three tonnes at a time with the summer discount, which makes sense if you can fund it in one payment and have the storage space. I went for bagged fuel stacked outdoors, as I haven't got the shed-space this year.

Ah this thread reminds me of why we are better off being gas now - bills have halved, none of the mess of fetching coal in, emptying ashes, the muck and hassle involved. Never bothered me whilst we was solid fuel but now I am noticing the benefits.

For now till Russia turns off the supply...

CPL had a worthwhile offer of six sacks for the price of five, just before Christmas.

Just a tip here, have a look on ebay local if you have transport as we got some for about half retail a few times as there are ex-miners in our area who still claim their free allowance but have switched to gas (naughty of them but I dont blame them)

The funny thing is cheap coal company is part of g.n Grosvenor Ltd, there other names they use are Fuels Express, Mansell Fuels, Cannock Coal company, Staffordshire coal company and town and country fuels, every name they use charges a different price for the same fuel, a lot of the fuels they sell arnt actually the fuel described, the approved coal merchant scheme will describe how the fuel you are after should actually look, I know this for fact as home fire ovals is an oval shape fuel with 2 lines through it, I just received an oval shape fuel with no lines!! Some bargains are to good to be true, there is always a reason why a new company trading name can suddenly slash the price of its competition as it's not down to the volume they do!! Please just do your research and be careful before you part with any money.

i_speak_the_truth

The funny thing is cheap coal company is part of g.n Grosvenor Ltd, there … The funny thing is cheap coal company is part of g.n Grosvenor Ltd, there other names they use are Fuels Express, Mansell Fuels, Cannock Coal company, Staffordshire coal company and town and country fuels, every name they use charges a different price for the same fuel, a lot of the fuels they sell arnt actually the fuel described, the approved coal merchant scheme will describe how the fuel you are after should actually look, I know this for fact as home fire ovals is an oval shape fuel with 2 lines through it, I just received an oval shape fuel with no lines!! Some bargains are to good to be true, there is always a reason why a new company trading name can suddenly slash the price of its competition as it's not down to the volume they do!! Please just do your research and be careful before you part with any money.

Is that true?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions