Expired

anyone used "Insure the box" a car insurance

Found 16th Aug 2012
Has anyone used "Insure the box" a car insurance company offering young adults low cost cover but with a fitted tracking box and 6,000 miles limit per year?

I don't have a problem with the 6,000 miles but I am wondering as I am going to tracked does that mean the price can suddenly change inside the year even if you have paid the annual cost depending on how you drive or other reasons?

Anyone had problems with this kind of cover and other good or bad feedback would be welcome?

thanks
Community Updates
30 Comments
http://www.insurethebox.com/telematics/how-does-it-work

"When you insure with us we give you access to Your Portal, a personalised page on our website. You can see the driving data collected by the Clear Box in Your Portal and we give you feedback on your driving.
Safe drivers are rewarded with Bonus Miles. You can earn up to 100 Bonus Miles each month to add to your Policy Miles."

http://www.insurethebox.com/docs/Telematicsmotorinsurancecutsyoungdriveraccidentriskbyupto40.pdf

"The data is also used to decide renewal premiums, with generous reductions for the best motorists."
I think you will need to call the insurance company or read the small print. no point wondering what will happen when they can quite easily tell you.

however, i know someone who had insurance with this company for a fortnight, had a collision non fault, Director calls him on his mobile within minutes of the collision....(at 11.30pm) saying " you''ve crashed the car haven't you?" haven't you" abit like phoebe from friends. who's fault is it? etc

he got a courtesy car delivered to his home at 9am the following morning and as the car was written off, he got a cheque to buy a new car within 6 days.

Its probably a one off...but how amazing is that tbh, i never thought they would pay up
glass_half_full

I think you will need to call the insurance company or read the small … I think you will need to call the insurance company or read the small print. no point wondering what will happen when they can quite easily tell you.however, i know someone who had insurance with this company for a fortnight, had a collision non fault, Director calls him on his mobile within minutes of the collision....(at 11.30pm) saying " you''ve crashed the car haven't you?" haven't you" abit like phoebe from friends. who's fault is it? etche got a courtesy car delivered to his home at 9am the following morning and as the car was written off, he got a cheque to buy a new car within 6 days. Its probably a one off...but how amazing is that tbh, i never thought they would pay up

wow phone from the Director but yeah i guess no harm in phoning them. thanks everyone so far
got a dummy quote from their website and it is way more than my current automatic renewal quote. I would be concerned about the amount of data this device would be collecting . This could affect the future premiums when your driving requirements i.e. mileage etc. can change over the time. Given the fact, this data can be shared with the other insurers, getting a reasonable quote could be a problem in the coming years.
Edited by: "pied_piper" 16th Aug 2012
In my experience very good cheap, reward good driving and tracker is useful if ever stolen. 3 people insured on a seat altea incl 2 young males premium went down to under £600 after 2 years.
I would imagine lot's of insurance companies will have these devices in the future, They know what speed your going and if your going too fast etc.., Obviously the mileage is recorded too etc..

"The Clear Box sends us the following information:

• The time of day or night you drive
• The speed you drive at on different sorts of road
• How smoothly you drive
• If you take breaks on long journeys
• Your motorway miles
• Your total mileage
• The total number of journeys you make
• Details of any accidents.".

Big brother is watching you..!!!
Fikkin expensive.
For me normal day to day car, based on 20K miles a year with business use, they wanted £442 a year
I currently pay £305 a year, without the onboard spy .... unless the wife is in the car

For my Vauxhall Monaro, they want £825 - without me declaring the modifications
I currently pay £520 a year - with modifications declared.

And they declined to quote on our motorhome

I'll stick with my current insurers thanks ... cheaper, and I don't have to put up with the spy in the "cab"
agreed, unless its majorly cheaper and usually isnt.... get a insurer without GPS... they track everything... driving at night increases premiums as its "higher risk" and going over limits for a few minutes probably the same... more to worry about imo.
oh!!

£3943 for me to insure an x3....ha ha. I won't be using them for renewal
Are they for real!

£2838.11

I pay £290 at the moment lol
Major problems with insure the box they are unable to insure new cars been told it will take up to 6 week for my new car to be on their system before I can insure. Purchased car on their quote and now the garage is looking after my car as I can't insure it
i just got my renewal quote was good at £460 for the year but i had to update my new address details so i called and told them my new address and to re-quote i've literally moved 5mins down the road my new quote was for £1096 i nearly fell off the chair. when i asked where did they get that figure from she said its cos there could have been a lot of accidents in that area but i'm not really sure( not a good sign). so i said i thought it was based on my driving thats how you sell it ive got 10 yrs no claims. she couldn't help or reduce the premium so needless to say i went else where and got my insurance for £496 for the year.
Awful company the device drains your battery if you don't drive your car everyday which forces you to drive your car! Premium renewal was through the roof and the staff are so rude stay clear
I've had an accident in 2011 the insurance went up the roof from £30 a month to £86 per month.Now my renewal was due and very singe company that quated me didnt even drop the price down,at some cases the insurance went even higher, although I managed to be acccdent free for 1 year and half. Insure The Box was the cheapest one £43 a month. That's a big difference! The clear box was fitted within a week of insuring my car with them.I have insured my car for 8,000 miles but if want to buy more miles I can do so online. I could pay £10 more a month with a different insurer and don't worry about the big brother in my car spying on my driving and milage I do everyday but this way my insurance will be even cheaper nxt year providing I drive safe and accident free. Im desperate for a cheap insurance.
Insure the box has been very professional since day one. So far so good!
6000 is not a problem but having used them myself , I have noticed that they are expensive especially when you are limited on mileage. Went over my allowance due to emergencies in Nov, now they won't release my no claims bonus letter till I pay them£600. £600 is the cost of new insurance for the whole year. Daylight robbery. I won't recommend anyone to them.
they do not update the bonus mile page they do not roll forward milesc earned from previous year you still are assumed as driving without break with engine on whilst stationary in a car park which the clear box would know draw your own conclusions
Do not use Insure the Box. I insured my son with them - it seemed like a goo deal, but the bonus miles plan is riddled with flaws and they seem to do anything to get out of giving bonus points. There is always a catch. The website fails to give daily updates on what miles are left - it can take a week for the update to come through - and so you dont know whether there any miles left. This caught us out on numerous occasions. It is not a very friendly system!
I've just had my box fitted, and I'm starting to worry now. I drove the whole way home from work smoothly and stuck to the speed limit. But found it dangerous at times when trying to stick to 30mph, people right up your backside waving there hands.
Just to add another experience like that of @melissacox12979:

We've been with ITB for the past half year or so, and it started off well - the premium was only about £500 ish which was a LOT lower than any other quote.

But we are soon to move (only about 3 miles down the road!) and when I told them of the new address they said that I'll have to pay £400 odd ON TOP of the current premium! And that's only for the remaining six months of the policy!

When I asked the reason for this they came out with "well it's a different area and there seems to be more car crime in that area" and blah blah but I know for a fact that the new house is no better or worse than the current area we live in!

£400 odd for six months is obviously £800 odd for 12 months and represents a more than DOUBLING of the original premium! Just for moving three miles down the road!

Obviously I've told them where to stick it because their premium for me is now A LOT more than those quoted from "traditional" insurers (around the £500 ish pound level BTW).
Well I tried to read some reviews on car insurance at blackboxinsurancereviews.com/ and thinking to use it soon.
My daughter was insured with insure the box paying over 70.00 pounds per month changed her car the monthly payments went to 330 pounds per month. When she had to cancel as she could not pay this amount they want 30.00 pounds cancelation fee 50 pounds for box plus the miles she has driven totally ripped of will she get her no claims discou discount I think not please people stay clear or get ripped of
jon456

My daughter was insured with insure the box paying over 70.00 pounds per … My daughter was insured with insure the box paying over 70.00 pounds per month changed her car the monthly payments went to 330 pounds per month. When she had to cancel as she could not pay this amount they want 30.00 pounds cancelation fee 50 pounds for box plus the miles she has driven totally ripped of will she get her no claims discou discount I think not please people stay clear or get ripped of

tbh the cancellation fee is in the terms so thats normal
speed wise i used to always drive above the speed limit on the motorway never got a warning once.

The issue i had with this company is the addition of extra miles works out VERY expensive so if youre 100% sure you wont hit 6k then id recommend them no issues tbh.
I never understand why anybody would want to have a policy with a company who track you're every move, I would rather go for the next cheapest quote. Then again it could have something to do with the speed I drive at sometimes
Awful company!! The box drain your battery, had to take it to the garage numerous of times. They will not take liability for it. Taking it further
I just had an accident, the front of the car is badly damaged, I pay 205.00 per month, (new driver) their quote was the lowest I found. I hope to see some luck on Monday morning with them, they are closed on the weekend.
i would never go with this company as they are currently ripping me off as i have so far paid 800 for the insurance. this includes 600 deposit and 200 for the month and a month
later they are telling me they will be canceling my insurance as my credit has not been approved by premium credit and this is not true as my credit is really good and i have a stable job! they are completely ripping me off and they are not responding to my emails and keep messing me around! what a joke!
don'T use them! avoid avoid! fUNNY COMPANY. rude cUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY WANT ME TO REINSTATE MY BANK DETAILS AND PAY THE WHOLE YEAR TO GET INSURED. WHY WOULD I DO THAT. iM WITH dRIVOLOGY AND VERY HAPPY. NO DEVICE ATTACHED TO YOUR CAR THATS DRAINS BATTERY. IM ONLY PAYING 39/MONTH- COMPARE TO INSUREINTHEBOX 60+. nO WAY INSURE INTEH BOX..
Insure the box are plain thieves, rude customer service assistants, well am never going to insure with them again. Talk of day light robbery.... stay clear.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants