Expired

Anyone used the auction site Swoggi ?

Found 7th Jun 2014
As per the title, has anyone used it or is it another scam, as it gets good ratings from ITV and a couple of broadsheet newspapers?
Thank you in advance
Community Updates
Ask
138 Comments
It's another scam by the looks of things. You buy 'credits' and use these to place bids. IF you win, you then have to pay the item cost on top, but it's unlikely that you will - if another person bids higher than you in the last second, the clock resets, and this can go on for days.

Save your money.

Bid on the product of your choice clicking on the "Bid" button
The Three highest bidders are displaying. The highest bidder is in 1st position
Every time you bid on a product, the price increases by £ 0.01 (Here the cost of the click is £ 1.00, and the extenstion of time is 15 seconds)
If you bid during the last 10 seconds, additional 15 seconds are added to the countdown
If you are the highest bidder and if nobody takes the hand before the end of the countdown, you win the right to buy the product for the indicated price
If you need to leave your screen, no panic!

Thanks mikey, it's what I thought but it was getting good reviews so thought I would see if anyone had tried it

Not used it personally, but reading through, it looks like the bids are gonna cost you a lot more than the actual items.
Just watched an auction for an IPad Air tick over about 20 times with 15 seconds left each time, same faces bidding so the cost is mounting up, best left well alone oO
Stay away from them they will strip you of all your money. I'm sure they have employees just bidding them up.
gr8t1

Stay away from them they will strip you of all your money. I'm sure they … Stay away from them they will strip you of all your money. I'm sure they have employees just bidding them up.

Thanks, going to take a wide berth
Have I just been ripped off or what! I thought I was just biddingon Sloggi...just found out that the bidding costs 1p each time and you lose that if you don't get the item...what a scam!!!!! I feel completely stupid, they should make the system more obvious...Oh of course... then people wouldn't fall for it would they!
I am disputing the money I paid to Swoggi through PayPal as seeing their name gave the idea that it was legitimate. If everyone who thinks they have been ripped off and who paid with PayPal then we might just get something done about it...It is gambling pure and simple and I got shafted for £100 thinking that I would get that back if I lost the bidding...Hah what a dummy eh! Whatever anyone else want to try a dispute with PayPal?

Steve
Hi, yes I just send an email to PayPal to get the money back £50, as I thought initially I only paid £15. The payment method on swoggi is confusing and don't think it is fair to get away with your money.
Steve747

I am disputing the money I paid to Swoggi through PayPal as seeing their … I am disputing the money I paid to Swoggi through PayPal as seeing their name gave the idea that it was legitimate. If everyone who thinks they have been ripped off and who paid with PayPal then we might just get something done about it...It is gambling pure and simple and I got shafted for £100 thinking that I would get that back if I lost the bidding...Hah what a dummy eh! Whatever anyone else want to try a dispute with PayPal?Steve

Dispute it under item not recieved.
Yeah, Already done that. But you know what I will be surprised if Pay Pal go along with it as all they want to do is make money! I am also trying to go to Barclaycard who I used to pay PayPal. Anyone else trying to get their money back?
If it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is.
I wish you luck in your dispute, but I don't think you will get any joy. You have not been ripped off, you just didn't fully understand the concept. These bidding site have been around for years, (I remember watching a German one years ago, must have been making a fortune), and the terms are on their website.

As I say, I wish you some luck but I don't think you will get any joy from PP.
Has anyone had any luck getting money back via opening a dispute in paypal. I opened mine and swoggi replied to my personal email in another language only offering to pay back €34.50 ( €50 minus an bogus €15 admin fee) when I paid £50 GBP (which is over €65)! I am definitely escalating my case as they are trying to swindle me of nearly half the money I originally spent for a service/account I got locked out of (they did not let me sign back in after I logged out after registering) and they did not send me any solution nor new password so they didn't actually provide me with a service. Would like to hear if anyone got their all or any of their money back!
So anyone got their money back from paypal or their credit card company
it is definitely a scam, nothing in the introduction how the site works if you are not a successful bidder. This should be explained, they are selling it as an online auction product, with the same nuances as a physical real auction house, with the exception that you pay to bid. Like a lot of scam sites online...they hook you and you feel you will lose your original investment/bid pack, so it compels you to see the bid through...clever but dishonest. I lost £40 and that's the end of it, much wiser (if not poorer).
Postscript: just emailed Swoggi direct and demanded a refund, siting that they didn't explain there bidding policy accurately, I'll get zilch...but got it off my chest hahahaaaaa.
All the best for claiming through paypal
we are disputing the matter also, and ours is £1000.00 !!
chadpatel

we are disputing the matter also, and ours is £1000.00 !!

An update for you guys...as expected PayPal will do nothing to help against Swoggi, which shows to me that they are as corrupt as swoggi is!

I have tried through Barclaycard but as the sale went through PayPal, my section 75 consumer credit act claim was rejected.
I suppose that as this government is giving a free rein to any on line gambling, no matter what the long term consequences, we should keep our eyes more open in the future. If any of you guys have any success in getting repaid then please let us know how and when?

Steve
Good luck to everyone with a dispute, Paypal found against my claim for £50 of unused credit and now the company are ignoring my emails for even a refund that is in line with their terms and conditions where they are take £15 but that means they still own me £35 according to their 'rules'. : ( I am appealing in Paypal but holding no hopes, that was an expensive £50 lesson to ignore all adverts I see even ones in reputable websites.
I'm puzzled - I took out £15 of 'credits', looks like a waste of time/money but hey-ho.
All that's been taken from my Paypal is £15 - where are people getting the £50 problem from?
Hi
I too bought what i thought was £50 credit and when i looked in my bank acc £80 has been taken.
I am going to report this to watchdog,power in numbers ,so they can open a case ,feel free to report also
I checked they av taken 50 pounds of my PayPal a/c and I don't understand I can't buy anything on there and need a refund how do I go about it. Thanks
arfur21

I'm puzzled - I took out £15 of 'credits', looks like a waste of … I'm puzzled - I took out £15 of 'credits', looks like a waste of time/money but hey-ho.All that's been taken from my Paypal is £15 - where are people getting the £50 problem from?

.......they withdrew £15 from you because that's what you could afford I've also lost £50 as well much more than I would have wanted to be stolen from me by these robbing ****.. .did you win anything NO neither did people who have invested more money than us so there you GO....they don't respond to emails no phone no .s but hey ho let's keep robbing everyone
I VERY FOOLISHLY spent £350 on Swoggi Credits and used them in an attempt to 'WIN' the privilege to pay for items through this complete SCAM. They must be making an absolute fortune, as even from spending this amount and trying to bid on 5 items, I didn't actually win the chance to pay for anything and lost all my money. Every time I bid, I was outbid. On some bids, they all of a sudden ended without giving me the chance to bid again, even though the time had not elapsed - indicates to me further evidence of manipulating the results of these so-called auctions.
Don't know how they've managed to manipulate some of the 'positive' press, but it's clear to me that they have done just that.
Tried to raise a complaint with Swoggie for my money back - no response whatsoever. Raised it with PayPal and they just responded in Swoggi's favour. VERY disappointed in the PayPal response, given that clearly they must have had numerous complaints about Swoggie already, however no option to appeal - PayPal appear quite happy raking the money in too from this SCAM - not impressed!
This is a total SCAM and should be well avoided.
Lesson learnt, but at a heavy cost!
If any one has any success in getting your hard earned money back, please let us all know.
Cant believe ive been ripped off with £65 thought i was getting a deal with swoggi ffor my sons birthday on sunday didnt realise if u dont win u also lose ur money im a single parent to four childern i cant just lose that kind of money
I also have a claim in to Swoggi, through Paypal, for $50.00. I only clicked the $25.00 amount and $50.00 was debited from my account. The site asks which country you are in when you sign up so the credits appear in the monetary system of that country. I emailed Swoggi and they informed me that I was entitled to a refund of my unused credits. Since I had only 34 credits left they said there would be not refund. They are a total ripoff and if everyone bombards Paypal about them, then maybe something may be done.
i HAVE JUST DISCOVERED SWOGGI AND HAVE BEEN BIDDING ON 3 ITEMS. NEVER SAW MY NAME COME UP ON THE SITES AND HAVE NOT GIVEN ANY PAYMENT DETAILS. I TAKE IT THAT MY BIDS ARE NULL & VOID????
HOPE SO BY ALL OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS IT SOUNDS A SCAM, PLUS NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THAT THEY HAVE IN FACT RECEIVED ANY GOODS.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP GUYS.
di
Hi Everyone, I just got an answer to my Paypal claim against Swoggi, Paypal say that since my purchase "Was for a virtual, digital or intangible item, which is not covered under Paypal Buyer Protection" they are refusing the claim. I am truly amazed that Paypal continue to do business with this company when there are so many complaints being made against them.
deleted79467
patti59

Hi Everyone, I just got an answer to my Paypal claim against Swoggi, … Hi Everyone, I just got an answer to my Paypal claim against Swoggi, Paypal say that since my purchase "Was for a virtual, digital or intangible item, which is not covered under Paypal Buyer Protection" they are refusing the claim. I am truly amazed that Paypal continue to do business with this company when there are so many complaints being made against them.

they are scammers but they do it legally
all paypal cares about is money
gr8t1

Stay away from them they will strip you of all your money. I'm sure they … Stay away from them they will strip you of all your money. I'm sure they have employees just bidding them up.

Who needs employees when you control the code for the robot bidder?
It's a gambling site. Pure and simple. Its operators have also had the hands smacked by the ASA before and they promised to stop doing it!
Naughty boys.
Good luck but I fell for it too.
gr8t1

Who needs employees when you control the code for the robot bidder?
It's a gambling site. Pure and simple. Its operators have also had the hands smacked by the ASA before and they promised to stop doing it!
Naughty boys.
Good luck but I fell for it too.
I'd follow the money - Paypal - Juniper Holdings?
or beat the game?
those ads may be on reputable sites, but those sites have no control over it - it's done using content/article marketing through the likes of Taboola etc.
The site owner has no real control over who advertises there (but are surely aware).

These penny auction sites run SCAM FAKE REVIEW SITES and plaster them all over every major newspaper's site.
They have been reported to the ASA and the ASA's ruling (for the UK based ones) is that they have to clarify that it's an advert - but this is done in such an insignificant way that it's worthless.

Another site (madbids) claim to have been in the BBC and the guardian - this is true - look at what was written about them http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7793054.stm
theguardian.com/mon…tes
Hi .yes this is a scam company and the way they have ripped people off is criminal I lost £50 tried to get my money back after bidding and got nothing then sending emails with no reply really **** me off .contacted PayPal nothing they can do where do you go from here '
Hi,
I just opned dispute with paypay too, fo rgetting my 100 quids back. swoggi is rippoff.
I transfred money to use to buyitems on auctions, that is what they said, but now they have taken all money aand have not bought anything :(..
I will also be reporting the case to http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-a-fraud-including-online-crime

regards,

Bakra
i won an auction with them then received an email that the product was out of stock &!they offered a gift card with a store that is 300 K's away which I declined & would wait till they could source one then found they had another on on auction so contacted them saying how can they auction another one when I am waiting for it & threatened to take them to the dept of fair trading in Australia then I get an email that they are sending one to me then received email with a tracking number couldn't read it as it is in French won the auction on 24th September & today is 30th October & no computer I have spent a lot of money on bids I will try & fight it but don't hold out any luck.
Thanks for your posting guys.
I feel your pain and commiserate with you.
Your comments have dissuaded me from participating in swoggifolli.
You have the small consolation of knowing that you have actively participated
in thwarting their attempt to swell their coffers at my expense.
Well done guys.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants