Anyone used the baliffs or High Court to evict tenants recently?

Found 28th Jul 2016
I have a court order that tenants must leave by 30th August, I know they are not going to go until I send enforcers in to evict them. Has anyone been through this procedure before and what is the quickest/cheapest option to have it enforced? Tenants from hell who wont co-operate with anything except waiting for a council house when evicted.

I have asked one company and they are talking about over £1000 in fees and a few months more which I just cant believe!! Also said they cant do nothing until the 30th has passed. Surely the law can not be so slow in catching up with itself? I want them out on 30 August so is there a way of making that happen?

Are baliffs cheaper/quicker of is the High Court Enforcers better? I have tried goggling information but cant seem to get a straight answer. Any help really would be appreciated. Thank You
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I used high court enforcement before was quite while back all I remember paying is £65 and couple fees on top must come to u see £300
From watching the tv show Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away! Channel 5 landlords would take the court order to the High Court and the Sheriffs (or whatever they are called now) have more power and one (think) £75 fee and they get the job done
Use the High Court bailiffs and they will have to leave on the day on the paperwork. Use the local boys and the Council will advise your tenants to stay put as they cannot be evicted by them immediately. More expensive but satisfying they are out on their ear. Contact the local council and make them aware of how difficult the tenants have been and if it is decided they have deliberately made themselves homeless then the Council does not have to re-house them.
If you already have a court order then you can instruct bailiffs if they won't leave by 30th. County court bailiffs take longer than high court bailiffs but are quite cheap. I would go down the high court bailiffs, now that i have seen those eviction programs. Worth paying more but you get them out quicker.

County court bailiffs cost less than £100 but i would myself be interested to know how much high court bailiffs cost. I think they charge per hour.
Just googled out of curiosity can't believe how much rights people who don't pay rent have, came across website High Court Enforcers association website hceoa.org.uk/home which has list of members so i'd ring round a few for costs as you say nobody seems to advertise them, FAQ on websites states

You should discuss with the High Court Enforcement Officer how much the enforcement will cost, and the basis for any charges such as whether it will be a fully inclusive cost, or time spent, along with any additional costs such as Locksmiths or builders to secure the site, or perhaps security staff.

As a rule of thumb the longer it takes, and the more Enforcement Agents needed the more it will cost. These costs are due from you and are not recoverable from the debtor.

Good luck with it all
Original Poster
Once you have a possession order with leave to transfer enforcement to the high court; we can effect possession in 1-3 weeks. The court fees are £166 and our enforcement costs commence from £295. Please email property@thesheriffsoffice.com with your order for full details plus £100 to transfer to high court = £561 as a minimum for actions that take less than one hour is as much as I can see so far plus another month no rent.

Should you have a combined order with arrears to be enforced, recovery is unlikely at the time of possession and you have up to 6 years to enforce the order at any subsequent address.
googley2

Once you have a possession order with leave to transfer enforcement to … Once you have a possession order with leave to transfer enforcement to the high court; we can effect possession in 1-3 weeks. The court fees are £166 and our enforcement costs commence from £295. Please email property@thesheriffsoffice.com with your order for full details plus £100 to transfer to high court = £561 as a minimum for actions that take less than one hour is as much as I can see so far plus another month no rent. Should you have a combined order with arrears to be enforced, recovery is unlikely at the time of possession and you have up to 6 years to enforce the order at any subsequent address.

Interesting information. It is a risk of being a landlord. With the wrong tenant, all your profits can disappear very quickly. Let's just hope you don't have a wreck to deal with when they eventually get kicked out as that can run into thousands of pounds to set right if they wreck the place.
If you have a warrant issued by the county court then apply to the county court bailiffs to enforce the eviction notice.

yes my dad had tenents that had not paid for 9 mothes we used dcbl they were very frendly and helpful
Original Poster
Yes I have an eviction order but seems its worth for nothing and cost over £350. Have to wait until it expires, go back to court with 3 more sets of forms at different times and pay around another £350 in court fees before the Bailiffs or anyone can do anything. The tenants are sitting comfortable for another couple of months for all this to happen. Oh and btw this is the ACCELERATED POSSESSION ROUTE!! So angry being going since February when will it end. Why cant an eviction order mean it - its totally worthless and a waste of 2 months to get it and 6 weeks notice to the tenant. We sure do have a crazy system which people know and use to get free houses, out of one onto the other. Its about time the eviction procedure was tightened up and made worse by Councils encouraging tenants to do this if they want a council house.
Edited by: "googley2" 28th Jul 2016
So right. People deliberately stop paying rent (housing benefit) spend the money elsewhere and sit pretty knowing a council place is around the corner. I am assuming your tenants are DSS tenants? If so then its wrong that there are no repercussions for them for failing to pay money that was given to them to pay the rent!!! If not then its just as bad living for free somewhere. No morals. I also watch 'Can't pay well take it away' and the actions of some tenants makes me mad, they act all surprised at being told its time to go. Seriously how long do they think they could carry on. High Court balliffs might be costly but there is no way round it for the tenants. Sheriffs office are really good I used them( different matter) and the job was done quickly and they kept me informed throughout. Good Luck and I sincerely hope they keep their dignity and leave on the 30th.
My uncle's tenants stopped paying for 2 years. These guys don't show up when court date is set so they continue. He battled the courts for as long as that. He had a heart attack and lost his job because he didn't feel his health was 100% yet. So he couldn't pay the mortgage because tenants were living as squatters. Now he faces losing the house. The thieves have left. I really feel for anyone in this position.
Original Poster

These were private working tenants that I paid an agency to credit check, etc so it makes no difference if you stick a pin in a hat and chose tenants or pay a small fortune to have them checked out!!

zainarafiq

So right. People deliberately stop paying rent (housing benefit) spend … So right. People deliberately stop paying rent (housing benefit) spend the money elsewhere and sit pretty knowing a council place is around the corner. I am assuming your tenants are DSS tenants? If so then its wrong that there are no repercussions for them for failing to pay money that was given to them to pay the rent!!! If not then its just as bad living for free somewhere. No morals. I also watch 'Can't pay well take it away' and the actions of some tenants makes me mad, they act all surprised at being told its time to go. Seriously how long do they think they could carry on. High Court balliffs might be costly but there is no way round it for the tenants. Sheriffs office are really good I used them( different matter) and the job was done quickly and they kept me informed throughout. Good Luck and I sincerely hope they keep their dignity and leave on the 30th.

The system changed recently. It's no longer as swift a process as it once was.

I've just evicted an extremely troublesome tenant after repeated hearings. Once the possession order was granted, it took a staggering 7 weeks for high court enforcement and bailiffs around the next day. Admittedly, this is central London which is notorious for their backlog so lesser courts may be a quicker turn around.

Good luck.
​Ok, so I don't think they would be entitled to a council property since they have the means to privately rent, I could be wrong. Credit checks, references mean nothing, people can change its only a small representation of them. Disgusting though, I feel for you and I really hope your worrying for nothing and they leave graciously. For the poster above who mentioned squatters, I don't understand why the law allows such things to happen. Is it not common sense if you own a property and someone's living in it without your permission or refusing to budge does that not amount to trespassing? It seems unreal that squatters have more rights than the person named on the deeds. I saw a programme recently where a gentleman had allowed his friend and his wife stay with him because they had nowhere to go. Fair enough just being a good friend. BUT they ended up locking him out whilst he went to work and claimed squatters rights. This guy spent at least 7 months homeless, still continued to pay a mortgage, had to go to work everyday and pursue the matter through the courts. He got his eviction order and chuffed went to get them out...they refused, he then had to pursue through high court balliffs and that's when he got his home back. So an eviction order seems pretty pointless and huge waste of time in most cases.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants