Anyone using a lot of mobile data without actually using it?

Found 8th Sep 2017
I took out a new contract in May with EE. My previous contract came with 1GB data with talk mobile but when I moved to EE they offered me with 2GB. Nice little cushion of Data should I need it.

Anyhow, the first month I used it all, the second month I used it all and the third month I complained so they gave me an extra GB to last me a week - all of that went as well!

I went into their store and explained that there was no way I was using all that data and they told me to turn on data saver and that was that. The data still disappeared. I phoned their helpline and one of their guys told me to download My Data Manager and monitor the usage.

It turns out that the Android OS is just eating data in the background. Some days it would be 100mb other days it was as much as 300mb! It was a lot. So basically, if I left my phone on the table for a month and left it, it would use all my data!

During the day, I am connected to my work wifi and when I get home I am connected to my home wifi so I was not sure how it was being used. EE then told me that they had no idea and that I should phone the manufacturer of the phone who is Huawei. They had no real idea and told me to do a network reset which I did and that did not solve it.

In the mean time, I had stopped almost every app and OS process that I could from using mobile data and I had installed firewalls and stopped everything there but they did no good. So, I have two weeks of my monthly allowance left and my phone has used just shy of 2gb!!!

Has anyone else experienced this? Have you solved it? Do you have any idea?

My contract is effectively useless if my phone is using data without me actually using it!

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Sounds like you have autosync and backup functions running. You need to disable crap like facebook and skype as well.
Try restricting your data to 3G and turning data off when the phone isn't being used.
Just a thought, on system update in the settings there should be an option to only download updates over wifi connection.

I just checked my own P9 and its there.
Edited by: "MichyM" 8th Sep 2017
yes, I accidentally had a navigation app running in the background. Ate all my data 3 times before I realised what was going on.
I use 2 gb turning my phone on
Sync, usually email apps, facebook etc. Like kester76 says
Original Poster
It is strange because I have stopped almost everything from using my 4g network. I have a Huawei P10 and in Settings - Mobile Data - Networked Apps - I have turned off the majority of the apps from using my 4g network and then under system apps I have turned almost everything off.

Last Friday, My Data Manager was telling me that Andorid OS Services used 817mb!!!!

It is really frustrating but I cannot seem to get an answer or find a solution. More to the point, I cannot turn everything off. I have even enable developer options on the phone and that has not solved it either.
Make sure auto updates in play store is at to WiFi only.

If you've had the phone a while so a factory reset and start fresh to rule out anything stuck or nasty on your phone.
Same here. (Samsung S5). Using wifi at home & at work, on 5GB now and usually I run out of data 5 days before renewal??? Everything's blocked, I do not watch videos while not on wifi etc. When I was calling about upgrade (I am due one) I was told I usually use 2.3G per month. When I asked how that's possible as for the past 6 months I run out of data they said "ohh I see.." and did not explain?

Sorry no help from me, just that you are not alone x
If you can't find the cause you'll need to do a factory reset. I would not do a full backup and reset as this may restore some the cause of the excessive data usage.
1gb allowance? I used over 50gb last month... thank god for Thee and their unlimited data
I use my phone to browse (note 4) on EE and it hardly eats data at all. Gmail sync, whatsapp etc but oddly very little data used, so the opposite to you. However, I was on holiday last month for a week and I tethered the phone and for a few hours of tether, I had used about 800mb. I think it may be that I had sent 2 photos, each of 6mb on whatsapp when i was on holiday using data. That must have eaten a lot of data as i avoided downloading stuff but i forgot about sending heavy stuff.

If you send photos over apps like whatsapp using data that can eat a lot. You should be able to see in the settings how much each app is eating data i think.
Edited by: "mutley1" 9th Sep 2017
mutley132 m ago

I use my phone to browse (note 4) on EE and it hardly eats data at all. …I use my phone to browse (note 4) on EE and it hardly eats data at all. Gmail sync, whatsapp etc but oddly very little data used, so the opposite to you. However, I was on holiday last month for a week and I tethered the phone and for a few hours of tether, I had used about 800mb. I think it may be that I had sent 2 photos, each of 6mb on whatsapp when i was on holiday using data. That must have eaten a lot of data as i avoided downloading stuff but i forgot about sending heavy stuff.If you send photos over apps like whatsapp using data that can eat a lot. You should be able to see in the settings how much each app is eating data i think.

It says android OS though not what's app ect
gotta say OP I'm with EE and never had a problem. I have 4gb but I barely use any. I use it when I'm out and about and for google maps and checking websites while on the move but I use home wifi when I'm in. Think the most I have ever used is 2.5gb. I would suggest you do a written complaint to EE and they may give you another extra gb as a goodwill gesture.
Also did you get this phone with the EE contract? Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck
Sounds like system updates. New software etc. Make sure everything is set to update over wifi only, connect to wifi anytime you can and check for updates. These files can be pretty big and if it starts downloading over wifi then you go out the house, it'll continue downloading. I hated every minute I had an android phone
Original Poster
I have done a factory reset and all that. I make sure that any updates do not continue when I move from wifi to mobile data. It is so frustrating because nobody seems to know why it is happening.

In relation to my old contract where I only had 1gb data, I have exactly the same apps now so there should be no difference really!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants