Expired

Anyone using a Z3 Compact? Any problems?

Found 21st Oct 2014
Due an upgrade soon. Really fancied the Z3 Compact but reading so many stories online about screens and back glass panels cracking without even dropping the phone!

I know people happy with it wont go online to complain ..

Just wondering if any of you guys are using it and how your finding the phone?

36 Comments

i don't know from personal experience but I heard that people find they are cracking when the phone is hot (heavy processor use or inside pocket/crotch for long time) then they place it on a cold surface or show off to their mates by chucking their waterproof phone into a glass of ice cold beer. glass doesn't like sudden temperature change.

I also read that it's actually a VERY small amount of people that this happens to, so I wouldn't be too worried. It's probably like the whole iPhone bending palaver, it probably only happened to a handful of people but it got blown out of proportion. especially when dumb people tried to bend their phones. They're still **** devices whether they bend or not.

I say get it, i want the Z3 big brother version, even put it in my amazon basket at £420 but gave myself a slap, I've already pre ordered the Z3 tablet and I really want to get the Moto 360 or LG G watch R too.

Original Poster

I was thinking probably sold thousands of the Z3C and only a small perctentage have maybe cracked

I've got a Z1 and the screen did just cracked by its self, but Sony repaired free of charge no questions asked, would have hoped this problem had been over come on the z3

we are the people

Well, my wife's on her 4th one. Yes, her 4th! Twice problems with screen response/flickering, and other with earpiece not working. So I'm not impressed.

After the third one I'd start to think it's probably your wife that's the problem. Replace her?

Original Poster

learoy1

After the third one I'd start to think it's probably your wife that's the … After the third one I'd start to think it's probably your wife that's the problem. Replace her?

lol was thinking that myself.. cant be 3 faulty phones in a row. Got to be over picky

Lol. Really, all of them were genuinely faulty. My dad had a Xperia Z1 and had similar screen problems.

Banned

learoy1

After the third one I'd start to think it's probably your wife that's the … After the third one I'd start to think it's probably your wife that's the problem. Replace her?

excellent advice!

Original Poster

anyone actually been using this then?

Original Poster

ah well then.

Great phone. Partner got one, I may copy and get the same.

Original Poster

how long they had it? encountered any problems with it?

While i dont know much about the Z3C, I believe that the Z, Z1 and Z2 all had the self cracking screen. I read somewhere that Sony are repairing some of the affected phones for free under the warranty, but are apparently refusing to repair others.

A few months ago, the problem was brought up on watchdog - xperiablog.net/201…ds/

conversation.which.co.uk/tec…-4/ - if you look at the comments on this thread, a couple of Z3/C users have had their screen crack too, and Sony still aren't doing much about it
Edited by: "mlb71" 27th Oct 2014

Original Poster

I think theres too many people having this problem. its really put me off the phone

Ive had a Z and own a z2, no issue here and no sporadic screen cracking.

Note that the internet will always over represent unhappy customers since the happy ones don't bother posting.

Also, type any phone followed by "self cracking" and faults will aways appear with any manufacturer. My friend cracked an lg g3 from half a foot drop!

makershaker

how long they had it? encountered any problems with it?

coming up for a month, never heard of the problem with cracking screen.

If you drop them they crack ... I have done it with others.

Probably worth mentioning I have dropped my expensive sony camera multple times, with the lense fully extended and it still works perfectly - very pleasantly surprised.

Its a great phone, nothing else on the market I fancy, everything else has a massive screen,worse camera, worse battery life.

Self cracking pull the other one, just people trying to get a free phone after they dropped it. Build quality better than nexus and samsung.
Edited by: "nimchimpsky" 1st Nov 2014

Original Poster

Anyone else using this? whats your thoughts on it?

I have one and drop it about a foot on to the ground (yes am a numpty!) put a little crack on the bottom of the screen, was working fine, however a day later the top of the screen isnt working!!

apart from that, i really do love it, had a fair few phones in the last 2 years ...Moto X, GS4, Nexus 4, Xperia Z1 Compact, GS3, LG G2...(i work for a phone repair company so have access to cheap phones) and its by far my favourite (apart from the shake to launch camera thing on the moto x... none of the apps you can get for other devices to mimic it compare)

Original Poster

is it true the ringtones and notifications are really low on it? even at full volume?

makershaker

is it true the ringtones and notifications are really low on it? even at … is it true the ringtones and notifications are really low on it? even at full volume?

I didn't find it too bad, its definitely quieter than my moto x (notably so) but i still notices then... and the vibrate could be used to crack concrete!!

I'm gonna get this phone regardless of what people are saying about the screen. Maybe something that they do like sitting on the phone or putting the phone in an acid drink cracks the screen without them even knowing? I think that's the case #dontevershowoff lol

Original Poster

who else is using this phone?

Whats the cheapest Sim Free price currently. My wifes Z1 Compact screen cracked today and touchscreen not working etc. So will try warrantee but also may get z3 compact if not covered and insurance job...

scoutnetworker

the vibrate could be used to crack concrete!!

I think we may be getting to the bottom of the screen cracking issue...

Don't drop it. All a load of.... Self cracking my foot.
Sound can be low but in settings increase it

I have the phone and i find the camera rubbish, blurred images, poor colours, blurry photos even in good light. Camera way better on my old iphone 5s and dont get me started on the front camera, makes everyone yellow!

Original Poster

Ive heard the front camera is terrible. Looks like the Z4 Compact is coming out in March.. gonna hold off for that

I wish i had got the Galaxy S5, i dropped my Z3 and screen smashed to pieces, £130 later to get it replaced by someone local, which was a mistake as my phone virtually worthless now as been bodged.

[Cracked Z3 Compact] http://i.imgur.com/qrYGA4h.jpg

I bought my Z3 Compact on the date 06.10.2014.
I was very happy with my phone.
The weather was warm when I bought it.

But on 28.12.2014 I noticed thin crack on the glass back panel.
I never dropped it or sat on it. I never used any covers. I was always very careful with my phone.

The temperature became colder in late December.

It is obvious to me that the change in temperature broke glass back panel.
I live in Austria and the temperature now is from -3 to -5 °C.

I bought the phone in the shop Saturn in Austria. They said that it is not covered under warranty and that I have to contact Sony and pay for the expertise.
Also, independent expertise voids warranty.

Edited by moderator: "Dec 29, 2014 11:59" 29th Dec 2015

My z3c lasted for 2 days. Its a great phone but way too fragile if you drop it once even 10 inches away from the floor, it will crack and the digitizer will no longer work. Whoever says "its a phone, its meant to break when it drops" we are not smashing our phones on the ground but out of all my other phones i never ever broke any of them (god knows how many times they dropped) so you guys either work for sony or are not honest with yourself because the z3c is obviously fragile as an egg.

My advice, if you dont like phone cases like me go for another brand or get it insured. No matter how careful you are with your xperia, it will end up breaking... and sony doesnt care at all

Original Poster

the screen cracks by itself as well.. people on here can deny themselves all they want but there are hundreds of posts all over the Internet about it. Even a few people on Amazon UK's reviews screens have cracked by themselves. Z4 Compact to be revealed in the next few weeks.. hopefully with better build quality

This is not an answer. Why is the back made of glass? Seems daft to me.

Uk warranty covers 12 or 24 months ?? If purchased from ee

makershaker

the screen cracks by itself as well.. people on here can deny themselves … the screen cracks by itself as well.. people on here can deny themselves all they want but there are hundreds of posts all over the Internet about it. Even a few people on Amazon UK's reviews screens have cracked by themselves. Z4 Compact to be revealed in the next few weeks.. hopefully with better build quality

yep, my mom and step dad had to get both there z3's fixed because of the back and screen cracking,
Sony dropped the ball on the build quality of this, what a silly idea picking that sort of material for the back
plenty of great reviews everywhere but the thing is most of these reviewers have the phone for one or two weeks and base there review of that, not long enough to judge how well they are built.

I had a Z3 Compact for 4 days before the screen cracked... in my pocket!
Sony have refused to repair this under their warranty and refuse liabiity for the problem. I've been left with the choice of paying for the repair of an item whose fault I did not cause or giving up altogether. Not good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants