Anyone using VPN on Firestick?

Found 6th May 2017
I have purchased tigervpn subscription and installed apk on firestick to set it up. VPN connects but when i go to Es explorer's browser to verify the IP, it still shows my original IP.

VPN is working fine on my mobile.

Any solution please?

Or should i look for NordVPN or IPvanish, which is better and cheaper?

21 Comments

I get asked to review loads of apps and stuff, luckily I got asked to try ipVanish a few days ago it works fine get my American Netflix etc but its not as fast as it would be using my normal internet speed.
Maybe give that one a try if your current one isn't playing ball?

aaqeel

...Or should i look for NordVPN or IPvanish, which is better and cheaper?

You could try sideloading OperaVPN as its pricepoint is very atractive, maybe then consider others if the Opera solution is not to your liking.

AndyRoyd

You could try sideloading OperaVPN as its pricepoint is very atractive, … You could try sideloading OperaVPN as its pricepoint is very atractive, maybe then consider others if the Opera solution is not to your liking.

Opera VPN pricepoint? Isn't it free?

stec77

Opera VPN pricepoint? Isn't it free?

Yeah, it's one of the best pricepoints.

Original Poster

Toon_army

I get asked to review loads of apps and stuff, luckily I got asked to try … I get asked to review loads of apps and stuff, luckily I got asked to try ipVanish a few days ago it works fine get my American Netflix etc but its not as fast as it would be using my normal internet speed.Maybe give that one a try if your current one isn't playing ball?

​Thank you. If you don't mind, can i ask about the speed comparison after and before IPVanish turning on?

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

You could try sideloading OperaVPN as its pricepoint is very atractive, … You could try sideloading OperaVPN as its pricepoint is very atractive, maybe then consider others if the Opera solution is not to your liking.

Thank you. ​It's free so i can give it a try but do they have separate app for vpn? Looks like their VPN is restricted to their browser only?
Edited by: "aaqeel" 6th May 2017

aaqeel

Thank you. It's free so i can give it a try but do they have separate app … Thank you. It's free so i can give it a try but do they have separate app for vpn? Looks like their VPN is restricted to their browser only?

play.google.com/sto…vpn or seach google with keywords <>.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.vpn or seach … https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opera.vpn or seach google with keywords <>.

​Thank you. I appreciate your help and guidance.

Can anyone tell us how you would install this on a firestick please?
Also, is there a way of installing this on the Virgin hub so all devices are connected to vpn? thanks

Original Poster

Iron_Man

Can anyone tell us how you would install this on a firestick please?Also, … Can anyone tell us how you would install this on a firestick please?Also, is there a way of installing this on the Virgin hub so all devices are connected to vpn? thanks

​You can sideload apk to firestick using app2fire app from android phone.

You can try Unlocator. It is not a traditional VPN. It just changes your DNS settings to make it look like you are in another country. Also this way, your internet speed is not affected as you do not use an external server. Unlocator has a free trial so see if it works for you. All the best.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

​I have tested opera vpn. Peak time normal speed was 70mb but with opera i am getting only 10mb. Can't complain because it's free . I have just shared stats.

aaqeel

I have tested opera vpn. Peak time normal speed was 70mb but with opera i … I have tested opera vpn. Peak time normal speed was 70mb but with opera i am getting only 10mb. Can't complain because it's free . I have just shared stats.

Just the one test? What geolocation? What about the other four geolocations?

I thought you couldn't use a vpn on a fire stick (may be not on gen 1 only).

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Just the one test? What geolocation? What about the other four … Just the one test? What geolocation? What about the other four geolocations?

​I have tried all geo locations. Results vary between 10-20mb. I will test test tigervpn through openvpn on firestick.

i tried ipvanish on fire tv box without it was getting 68mb , with it running lucky to get 8mb and that was the fastest trying different locations

aaqeel

I have tried all geo locations. Results vary between 10-20mb. I will test … I have tried all geo locations. Results vary between 10-20mb. I will test test tigervpn through openvpn on firestick.

tigervpn result?

aaqeel

I have tried all geo locations. Results vary between 10-20mb. I will test … I have tried all geo locations. Results vary between 10-20mb. I will test test tigervpn through openvpn on firestick.

How do you config openvpn on a Fire Stick? I've managed to install the app however it asks for a config (.ovpn) file and I don't know how to get that across and run it, as it needs a SD card hooked up somehow.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

tigervpn result?

​It was successfully connected but when i am checking the IP address using downloader browser, it shows up my original IP. So can say it is not working. Some people are recommending IP Vanish or PIA VPN for firestick using their own apk. But i am not that sure they are going to work on 1st version of Firestick.
Edited by: "aaqeel" 14th May 2017

Original Poster

Muir

How do you config openvpn on a Fire Stick? I've managed to install the … How do you config openvpn on a Fire Stick? I've managed to install the app however it asks for a config (.ovpn) file and I don't know how to get that across and run it, as it needs a SD card hooked up somehow.

​You need to download and transfer the .ovpn and certificate files from your purchases Vpn, if it supports OpenVpn.

aaqeel

It was successfully connected but when i am checking the IP address using … It was successfully connected but when i am checking the IP address using downloader browser, it shows up my original IP. So can say it is not working. Some people are recommending IP Vanish or PIA VPN for firestick using their own apk. But i am not that sure they are going to work on 1st version of Firestick.

Assuming you are using the Firestick for video, the 10MB via OperaVPN is capable of transferring way more bitrate inc overhead than any streamed content you are likely to encounter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants