Groups
    EXPIRED

Anyone want to help me build a consumer website?

Hello,

Im looking for folk to help to build a website for people to expose highly suspicious claims in advertising, to uncover stealth laws that invade our privacy and to generally wade through the lies we are told on a day-to-day basis by companies and the government,

I was wanting to call it nomorebull.com but that name has been taken so any suggestions would be appreciated, the idea would be to have in depth articles about said subjects backed up by forums in which people can air their grievances, expose the latest advertising scams, and complain to the appropiate authorities en masse.

Some examples of the subjects we would cover would be;

'anti-ageing' skin creams,
    Newspapers claims of 'exclusives' which are nothing more than speculation or non-stories,
    BBC telephone scandals,
    Abuse of public funds by people in positions of power,
    Stealth laws which undermine democracy and take away civil liberties.
    Questionable paypal practices including reports of how many people actually receive refunds under the 'paypal-protection'.
    Broadband speed claims

It will be a broad spectrum

Stand up and be heard !

20 Comments

what about calling it.....
    [url]www.nomorecarp.com[/url]

Nah I don't want to help you.

Thanks for the offer though.:)

Stand up and be heard !

Think I'll have a lay down

Banned

I'm paying about 3k for my new site, they are dear

you say help! what are you prepared to pay? and how flashy do you require this site to be.

all this will help you gauge the right help. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

If you have nothing constructive to say dont bother with your allegedly 'humourous' comments please.
    Simon, not a bad name, any more suggestions?

Disco, it will be an entirely non profit project I will pay for the domain name and any other small monetary requirements but I certainly cant afford to pay people. With regards the 'flashiness' I would say something akin to this site would be fine it doesnt have to be the most amazing looking site in the world so long as it is functional. I actually made a website some time ago (scouthenge.com) which is no longer in use but I made that using a template and my knowledge of website building is minimal.

This would be similar to [url]www.consumerist.com[/url] would it not?

Johnrulez;3957170

I'm paying about 3k for my new site, they are dear

Finally! Someone who understands these things aren't cheap when done correctly.

I'm just finishing up on a 6 month project which is costing the client in excess of £12k, but stands to make them double that back in the first 3 months of being up and running.

speculate to accumulate.

chrishill;3957403

Finally! Someone who understands these things aren't cheap when done … Finally! Someone who understands these things aren't cheap when done correctly.I'm just finishing up on a 6 month project which is costing the client in excess of £12k, but stands to make them double that back in the first 3 months of being up and running.speculate to accumulate.

giz the site name, always like to look at new stuff

Disco;3957417

giz the site name, always like to look at new stuff

]check-first.co.uk

edit - I should add its live and if you sign up you WILL be charged... and you probably can't use the services they offer unless you're an employer! The complex stuff happens once you sign up, it collects information from job candidates then performs checks on their ID's, financial history, qualifications, address history and does a CRB check amongst other things.

Client is in talks with some private healthcare companies to use it for hiring medical staff which is a big big deal

feel free to pick holes and spot mistakes, its out with the testers at the moment so anything you spot will give me a heads up

chrishill;3957431

[url]www.check-first.co.uk[/url]

just a tip, try full justifying the text on the front page, will make site look smarter :thumbsup:

i'll take my £500 fee now :whistling:

Original Poster

It would be a little similar linux although that seems to be more news focused site where I would be hoping to create something which would be a little more investigative and would point people in the right direction to make complaints or perhaps suggest alternatives to suspect products/services. Think of it as money saving expert, mixed with consumerist and a little bit of Miss Marple thrown in.

PS nice looking site Chris

I would've offered to help, but have got enough "free" projects on atm. If you were gonna pay me then we might have had a deal.. good luck! :thumbsup:

ok well good luck,
    here is a site that may be of benefit when building the site
    bbc.co.uk/con…to/

Also remember to research
    Misrepresentations Act 1967
    Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977
    Sale of Goods Act 1979
    Consumer Protection Act 1987
    Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999
    Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000
    Electronic Commerce Regulations 2002
    General Product Safety Regulations 2005

Disco;3957453

just a tip, try full justifying the text on the front page, will make … just a tip, try full justifying the text on the front page, will make site look smarter :thumbsup:i'll take my £500 fee now :whistling:

no worries, I'll send you and email with payment enclosed in a sec... ;-)

Original Poster

Thanks electriclinux I will certainly take make a note they will be very useful in what I am trying to achieve. rep added.

sorry, hijacked the thread a little...

name suggestions:

consumerama
    consumate
    kissmyads

no idea if they're good/taken but at least I made an on topic contribution

Original Poster

Consumate is quite clever but im not entirely sure it would add to the credibility of the site.

Thanks for the generous offer helping for payment Disco.

iNSOMANiAC;3957638

Consumate is quite clever but im not entirely sure it would add to the … Consumate is quite clever but im not entirely sure it would add to the credibility of the site.Thanks for the generous offer helping for payment Disco.

yeah, its a bit 'racey' isn't it? memorable though and if the logo was done right (consu-mate) it loses some of the rudeness

Original Poster

Its certainly catchy !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What will £250 get me second hand mobile66
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother78
      3. Info on Browns Family Jewellers34
      4. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?77

See more discussions