Anyone with 50Mb Broadband on Virgin Media??

18 replies
Found 7th Mar 2009
I am an existing customer with Virgin Media and already have the 20Mb broadband as part of a package.

I rang up to find out about upgrading to the 50Mb, as my friend told me that they had just upgraded for free.

I got told it would be £14.50 extra on my account so that would take me over £70pm!!

As usual I said dont bother and called back another day...

This time I was told its £14 extra a month PLUS £80 installation charge

I know Virgin are a bunch of ***** but I havent been able to get better deals anywhere for my package so far.

Has anyone else got the 50Mb?
How much extra do you pay?...
did you pay the installation fees?

Looking forward to the usual variety of answers...

Kim

18 Comments

I think Virgin have announced they are going to upgrade all 2Mb CABLE customers to 10Mb for free.

Because few companies offer 50Mb I dont think Virgin need to offer any deals on 50Mb yet.

Not available in my area yet.

Paying £37 a month for 20Mb XL Broadband on it's own.

If they don't offer a free upgrade, when it's available, then i'm off to somewhere else.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;4576145

Do you download alot or are you one of these people who is getting it … Do you download alot or are you one of these people who is getting it just so you can say you have 50 meg broadband even though you won't notice a difference in pretty much any everyday use of it. And even for downloading most sites can't give 50 meg.

I actually work from home and also my other-half works for a computer company and regularly needs to remotely access other computers and has to download data sometimes...
so the extra bandwidth does come in handy in our house...
Kim

peodude;4574978

Not available in my area yet.Paying £37 a month for 20Mb XL Broadband on … Not available in my area yet.Paying £37 a month for 20Mb XL Broadband on it's own.If they don't offer a free upgrade, when it's available, then i'm off to somewhere else.

I complained to Virgin that new customers were getting a better deal than existing customers and they upgraded me from 10Mb to 20b for £29 a month (about a year ago).

With customers on 2Mb getting 10Mb upgrade for "free" then I think £37 is outragious for 20mb so I would phone or email and complain.

In fact if you look at the web site below you see that new customers who take a phone get 10Mb broadband for £10 for the first 6 months, then only pay £20 a month.

allyours.virginmedia.com/web…d=2

Original Poster

They seem to be very "slap-dash" with their pricing...
Theres people who pay the full whack and people that get it £X cheaper...
They really should reward loyalty...but as with most companys,
once they have you on their hook they dont bother with you anymore...
I'd definatly try and get your broadband price down peodude...
tell them your off and see what happens, they usually give a little...
I also find it varies on what time you phone them also...
Kim

Banned

I doubt your friend got it free, there aren't any retention deals on 50mb at present

Original Poster

colinsunderland;4576791

I doubt your friend got it free, there aren't any retention deals on 50mb … I doubt your friend got it free, there aren't any retention deals on 50mb at present

Im going to see him tomorrow and Ill ask for his bill!!
I will be really ****** if he did...
Kim

Thanks kimbo_frog and guilbert53

I did ring them after seeing the £20 deal when you take out a phone line. But the phone line is £11 a month on top of the £20 so £31 in total. They did offer to drop it to £31, which i will have to phone up and accept.

Seems they will only do decent discounts on packages. They also offered TV, Phone and Internet for £32 a month. However, i live in a shared house, so the phone bills will also increase, and i would then have to add in that i would have to then pay for a TV License as well. At the moment i don;t have a TV to watch TV on, just gaming and dvd purposes.

>At the moment i don;t have a TV to watch TV on, just gaming and dvd purposes.

See the TV license web site text below, have you informed them ?

Q.What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

A.You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.

However, please notify us in writing that this is the case. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
Bristol
BS98 1TL.

guilbert53;4580118

See the TV license web site text below, have you informed them ?

I have thanks, yes :thumbsup:

Anything i want to watch, i just wait an hour for it to appear on iPlayer. If it's not BBC then there is itvPlayer and 4OD.

If anyone is on the XL (20meg) broadband package, you can get the Wireless N router that is supplied with the 50 meg service for £25 if you phone up and ask.

Not bad if you are in the market for a new router

I was thinking of upgrading but since I don't go on xbox live anymore, I didn't see the point.

We're currently paying £35 per month from Virgin for 20mb broadband, as well as unlimited landline calls, line rental and BT charges. :thumbsup:

Banned

so did the OP get it free?

Original Poster

colinsunderland;4717326

so did the OP get it free?

I have only been offered £14 extra a month...
Plus the £80 install fee.
:x

the porter;4721338

i have the 50 meg service and theres no way he got the £80 … i have the 50 meg service and theres no way he got the £80 install/activation charges dropped ,at the moment i pay £92 for the 50 meg, xl tv, movies sports, talk unlimited ,but they did let me have the v+ box for free because i took the 50 meg service thats the only deal you will get at the mo .hes telling you lies about the dropping of the charges they will not budge at the moment as the 50 meg service is new and unrivalled in the uk home broadband network.

Credit Crunch...my ****!
£92 a month! thats £1104 a year!!!!
I could think of much better things to spend that kind of money

yer 2mb upgrade to 10mb for free, or as of 1st may an extra £2 on my bill and £1 for tv, lol

I was on the 10mb broadband and unlimited 24 phone package for just over £40 per month and then looked on the virgin website and found that I could get the 20mb for the same price I was paying for the 10mb.

Phoned virgin up and told them that I was not happy and they said they would upgrade me and it would cost me £1 than what I was paying now and within 1 min was on the new 20mb service.

Then after problems with sky I asked virgin about the above package with the v+ box and one other box and they said it would cost £88 per month with £30 to have the service put in,then after talking to the wife I asked about the 50mb package to add to the phone and tv and they said it would cost a total of £99 per month and a total of £50 to have it put in.

Banned

groomy2004;5896267

I was on the 10mb broadband and unlimited 24 phone package for just over … I was on the 10mb broadband and unlimited 24 phone package for just over £40 per month and then looked on the virgin website and found that I could get the 20mb for the same price I was paying for the 10mb.Phoned virgin up and told them that I was not happy and they said they would upgrade me and it would cost me £1 than what I was paying now and within 1 min was on the new 20mb service.Then after problems with sky I asked virgin about the above package with the v+ box and one other box and they said it would cost £88 per month with £30 to have the service put in,then after talking to the wife I asked about the 50mb package to add to the phone and tv and they said it would cost a total of £99 per month and a total of £50 to have it put in.

£99 per month! thats the most I've ever heard quoted. Hope you arent paying it! :w00t:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which wall design do you like best?45
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35119
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247678
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769651

See more discussions