Anyone With A Thinkpad P50 Who Has Overheating Issues / Or Has Replaced The Fan?

Posted 1st Jan 2022
Happy New Year HUKDers!

I've had my Thinkpad P50 (from itzoo) about 18 months. I'm a hard task master with PCs and laptops - loads of tabs running but don't really play games, except for the odd online game of Monopoly on Ubisoft (don't judge me).

In the last month or so it's been overheating and powering off, particularly when I want to run the aforementioned game (not intensive at all). Fine, you would think, Thinkpads are easy to teardown and troubleshoot.

Except...articles about the P50 say it has "self-cleaning fans" (?) and / or that it is incredibly difficult to get to the fan to clean / replace.

Eg, Lenovo Forums: P50 Fan Cleaning
Reddit: P50 fan cleaning
(On the above Reddit thread, one commenter says he did a thermal re-paste and fan replace, but no further direction is offered).

Think Reddit thread made me go yikes:
Had a user blow an air gun into a P50’s fan because someone told him that it would help the “freezing”. You have to take the whole computer apart to replace the fan. WHOLE COMPUTER!

Can anyone point me in the direction of step-by-step instructions how to get to the fan and figure out what's going on?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
12 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Have you tried contacting Itzoo even though it's outside of warranty? I find they are very good. I know a manager there who I can refer you to who's helped me sort out a laptop issue.

Worst case scenario is selling it on with the issue noted as someone may buy who can sort.
    Edited by: "G0rdonGekko" 1st Jan
  2. Avatar
    Author
    G0rdonGekko01/01/2022 19:26

Have you tried contacting Itzoo even though it's outside of warranty? I …Have you tried contacting Itzoo even though it's outside of warranty? I find they are very good. I know a manager there who I can refer you to.Worst case scenario is selling it on with the issue noted as someone may buy who can sort.

Hey, thanks Yes, might as well give it a try! though - I balk at the thought of disassembling a laptop, beyond my ken!!

Found the itzoo invoice - it's from 8/6/20.

I'm thinking it is not an economical repair as there is so much labour involved, which is a bit disappointing.
    Edited by: "louiselouise" 1st Jan
  3. Avatar
    louiselouise01/01/2022 19:32

Hey, thanks Yes, might a well give it a try! though - I balk at the …Hey, thanks Yes, might a well give it a try! though - I balk at the thought of disassembling a laptop, beyond my ken!!Found the itzoo invoice - it's from 8/6/20.I'm thinking it is not an economical repair as there is so much labour involved, which is a bit disappointing.

I don't bother opening them up either unless it's an easy fix. I always have at least 3 laptops. When problems start with one, sell it on if not an easy fix. Plenty of buyers that will take it with the problem at the right price.

Maybe someone more au fait on repairs can give you a potential cost for it. Failing that, just ring up a random repair company for a cost so it gives you an idea.
    Edited by: "G0rdonGekko" 1st Jan
  4. Avatar
    same just happened to us
  5. Avatar
    I've got a Dell laptop that overheats so I just bought one of these.

No more overheating.
  6. Avatar
    Author
    vultura02/01/2022 16:33

P50 Maintenance Manual.Find yourself a local independent computer …P50 Maintenance Manual.Find yourself a local independent computer shop/repair centre, see how much they would charge you.http://www.pcrn.co.uk/search-result/ or similar might be a good start.

Thanks, I have the maintenance manual on here but I don't have the chops to attempt it.

I'm in the Highlands so finding a repair place is problematic at the moment, but I'll take it back with me to Glasgow soon.
  7. Avatar
    I'll take a look at the manual in a sec, but i like MUFC's comment about a laptop cooling stand and wonder if that would help.
  8. Avatar

Looks like a right pain to sort.

Also looking at your link to reddit and the guy showing the dust on his p50 i'm not sure why switching it on and using an air duster and a hoover wouldn't remove most of that dust.
  9. Avatar
    Author
    P50 is getting less tolerant - overheated four times yesterday, only with Youtube playing and a few tabs open

Will have to admit defeat I think and put this on ebay spares or repairs.
Post a comment
Discussions
Top Merchants