Anyone with any knowledge of Grade II listed property? Please

Found 5th Oct 2011
DD is looking at a local flat to purchase. She is very very limited with funds, but a property has come on the market just within her price range - downside is that it is Grade II listed as it is Georgian.
We have been to the council and it seems that any changes can only be authorised following a planning application. DD only likes showers, and the existing bathroom has bath, sink and loo.
Does anyone know how likely an application for an electric shower would be to have turned down? (i don't want her to be saddled with a home that is 'run' by the council :-(
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments
DD *boke*

i think she has to consider a lot more than a shower...any repairs have to be done like for like i think..i mean even windows etc so everything is more costly. She needs proper advice so call the council and ask?
Banned
Why don't you google listed buildings. It only usually applies to external features and materials used. fitting an electric shower will in no way change how it looks. also you might want to check the pressure as it might give a better shower to just use a modern mixer shower.we just switched from electric to use combo boiler hot water and its so much better.
We live in a grade 2 listed building and we have a power shower. I'm no expert, but I thought it only concern external features (but don't quote me on it)!
My dad lives in a listed building but the council never bother. Not meant to have sky dishes or anything but a few in the street do. That's the south side of Glasgow though and the council seem quite happy to let it go to ruin. if it was the west end then it might be a different matter.

There are all sorts of grants available to you though if you live in a listed property. Help with replacing windows and stuff.
For a Grade II Listed Building in theory you need permission (Planning and Listed Building Consent) to do anything. If you want to change the colour of the paint inside or outside or even change a door handle then legally you need Planning and Listed Building Consent. Very few councils enforce this but may have to if they receive a complaint about what you have done. Unless the property is more or less as you want it to be do not buy it. If you want to put an electric shower in then just do it and do not inform the council.
Banned
I've got a grade II listed apartment I rent out.
There are huge restrictions on the outside of the property, not so much on the interior though (apart from structural stuff).

You may want to have a look at the service charges - being grade II listed, the exterior will need to be kept up to a certain standard and will no doubt put the service charge up in terms of maintenance.

Will she be a shareholder of the freehold or is it just pure leasehold? Depending on the property, a share of the freehold is passed on with the sale of the property for a nominal value (usually £1).
SHould be no problem with the shower BUT it can be a problem with the external stuff and some internal stuff. For instance, if there is fancy coving on the ceiling, that could be hugely expensive to replace (can be in the hundreds for just a metre length). In my last place which was listed, the windows needed replaced which meant in the same style - that was twice the price of "normal" windows.

On the plus side you can have a place with a lot of character, and if in good condition, will not cost much more than an unlisted place to run.
Original Poster
Wow thanks everyone for the replys Unfortunately our local council can be really ar$ey, and could amend any rules or guidlines to suit their own whims. The windows are a real concern - they are sound (timber-wise) but you can see daylight in places. I understand that secondary glazing should rectify the problem quite well, and it is reassuring to hear about potential changes to a bathroom. We will be going for a full survey, so in conjunction with our own research - any 'nasties' should be flushed out then.
thanks again
Secondary glazing will require Listed Building Consent. Last time I suggested secondary glazing to a Conservation Officer he said no and instead suggested reinstating the wooden shutters which had been removed years before. You have experienced nothing until you have dealt with a difficult Conservation Officer from the council.
Original Poster
donaldduck2

Secondary glazing will require Listed Building Consent. Last time I … Secondary glazing will require Listed Building Consent. Last time I suggested secondary glazing to a Conservation Officer he said no and instead suggested reinstating the wooden shutters which had been removed years before. You have experienced nothing until you have dealt with a difficult Conservation Officer from the council.

bad times
Think of anything you might want to do to the property and then ring the council and ask to speak to the Conservation Officer. Talk through your list and see how he responds and decide for yourself if he is reasonable. Some can be very difficult.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants