Expired

Anyone with elecrical experience? (ceiling light)

Found 10th Jul 2015
Sorted! Cheers everyone. Got it working without getting electrocal-ecuted.
Huge thanks to magicianfx and sloanes9620!

Trying to stick a ceiling fan up. Gonna be using layman's terms here, so bear with me.
The original light had a "ceiling rose" with a "loop" connection. There's a lot of wires -- three (Live) browns, two earths, two (Neutral) blues, and one blue with a brown bit of heatshrink on it. Looked exactly like this:
diyfixit.co.uk/ima…jpg

Another person asked a similar question for a similar light fitting, so i'm gonna steal his pictures. The block so far looks just like his, only it has 2 extra slots (one of them's marked "loop").
postimg.org/ima…ll/

What i can't work out is how the wires sticking out of the ceiling are supposed to connect to the box. I cleverly tried putting all the blues with the blues, and all the browns with the brown/red. The mains switch flipped back down when i flipped it up, which somehow gave me the impression that that wasn't a good idea.

Here's a Paint-painting of it so far.
s8.postimg.org/i0v…jpg

Be grateful for any help. The instructions that came with it are of absolutely no use whatsoever. They don't even list half the fittings, let alone the electrical wiring.
Thanks!

The other person's thread: hotukdeals.com/tag…568
Community Updates
AskCeiling Light
47 Comments
To be honest mate you will just get told to get an electrician in but if you want to investigate yourself there are loads of sites with info e.g. ceilingrosewiring.co.uk/bef…ty/
Original Poster
Can't seem to get pictures in the main post, so i'll try sticking them here:

Original: http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/images/stories/how_to/electrics/ceiling_rose_wiring_and_connections/typical_ceiling_rose_big.jpg

Other person's picture: http://s18.postimg.org/tzg2slwah/P1100747.jpg

Paint version: http://s8.postimg.org/i0vt5qa79/so_far.jpg

Other person's thread: hotukdeals.com/tag…568
Edited by: "EllEzDee" 10th Jul 2015
Are you having to remove the original rose/connectors to do this? Because, judging by those pictures, I'd have thought it would be as simple as connecting the brown and blue wire that is already hanging down, directly to the ceiling fan. The rest of the wires are there to continue the circuit around the house (I'm only guessing here)
If its a loop get an electrician, my cousin's a spark and he has showed me many times but I still get confused with them. Its really not worth the hastle, the possible damage to the fitting or injury for the £30 or £40 it would cost to get it done right. All prasie for the pictures and drawings (chuckles) but no one on here should be advising you on this.
stuarthanley

Are you having to remove the original rose/connectors to do this? … Are you having to remove the original rose/connectors to do this? Because, judging by those pictures, I'd have thought it would be as simple as connecting the brown and blue wire that is already hanging down, directly to the ceiling fan. The rest of the wires are there to continue the circuit around the house (I'm only guessing here)

Depends if the new fan/light fits over the old housing, if its does its simple, I doubt it will though.
Original Poster
mosskeeto

To be honest mate you will just get told to get an electrician in but if … To be honest mate you will just get told to get an electrician in but if you want to investigate yourself there are loads of sites with info e.g. http://www.ceilingrosewiring.co.uk/before-you-start-safety/

Been checking around online, but what i've seen is pretty similar to what's on the site you linked: it shows a lot of info for the ceiling rose, but i can't seem to find much for going from rose-to-new connection. Still flicking through it though.

stuarthanley

Are you having to remove the original rose/connectors to do this? … Are you having to remove the original rose/connectors to do this? Because, judging by those pictures, I'd have thought it would be as simple as connecting the brown and blue wire that is already hanging down, directly to the ceiling fan. The rest of the wires are there to continue the circuit around the house (I'm only guessing here)

The new fitting's got a really wide plate (http://s16.postimg.org/3kgjnov1v/P1100750.jpg), so it's definitely gotta come down.
Suppose i could try cramming it in the canopy housing thing, but still. Does give me an idea, though (and another question):
Since the housings on the original rose aren't all isolated (the 1st two, 2nd three, and 3rd three are isolated from each other, but aren't isolated from themselves, since the copper around it is all touching each other). Does that mean i could try copying that fitting with my own connector box?

Live wires from the fan to the brown-tipped blue wire; blue wire from the fan to the blue wires; earth wires all together; then...brown wires in the middle by themselves? Would that even work, i wonder?

Donkii

If its a loop get an electrician, my cousin's a spark and he has showed … If its a loop get an electrician, my cousin's a spark and he has showed me many times but I still get confused with them. Its really not worth the hastle, the possible damage to the fitting or injury for the £30 or £40 it would cost to get it done right. All prasie for the pictures and drawings (chuckles) but no one on here should be advising you on this.

£45 :'(
Glad it's not just me confused by it though. If it turns out to be impossible, that's probably the only option.
mosskeeto

To be honest mate you will just get told to get an electrician in but if … To be honest mate you will just get told to get an electrician in but if you want to investigate yourself there are loads of sites with info e.g. http://www.ceilingrosewiring.co.uk/before-you-start-safety/

stuarthanley

Donkii

If its a loop get an electrician, my cousin's a spark and he has showed … If its a loop get an electrician, my cousin's a spark and he has showed me many times but I still get confused with them. Its really not worth the hastle, the possible damage to the fitting or injury for the £30 or £40 it would cost to get it done right. All prasie for the pictures and drawings (chuckles) but no one on here should be advising you on this.

:D, I like to understand what I am doing not just know what wire goes where, if that makes sence so its not relaly something you can see once then automatically do IMO. It was when I was replacing the smoke alarms in my house I had similar problems, I tried to look online and copy someone elses but got **** off and gave up. Even if you do get it up and working you may always think "is that right, or in my house goign to burn down? oO". :D.
mosskeeto

Go to agree with the first part of your comment

I generally only give advice/help (with electrics) if I know the person appears to be competent. Reading that the OP thought it would be OK to try to put all the wires of the same colour together shows that they are lacking any safety aspect/understanding.

For this I give you my vote and refuse to offer my knowledge.
Original Poster
philphil61

Go to agree with the first part of your commentI generally only give … Go to agree with the first part of your commentI generally only give advice/help (with electrics) if I know the person appears to be competent. Reading that the OP thought it would be OK to try to put all the wires of the same colour together shows that they are lacking any safety aspect/understanding.For this I give you my vote and refuse to offer my knowledge.

So why even post? "I know the answer but i'm not going to tell you". If i had any understanding, i wouldn't be asking on a forum, would i? You could have just said "get an electrician instead", rather than acting high and mighty and outright refusing to give any helpful advice whatsoever.

The instructions say to put the respective wires to the block. "Switched live supply to the brown fitting, neutral supply to the blue fitting, earth supply to the green/yellow fitting". Doesn't mention anything about there being multiple of each wire. Since online people said to splice the red and brown fitting wires together from the light to the block, i figured it'd be a similar procedure.
There's a mains box that flips if something isn't right. This isn't the 60s.
EllEzDee

So why even post? "I know the answer but i'm not going to tell you". If i … So why even post? "I know the answer but i'm not going to tell you". If i had any understanding, i wouldn't be asking on a forum, would i? You could have just said "get an electrician instead", rather than acting high and mighty and outright refusing to give any helpful advice whatsoever.The instructions say to put the respective wires to the block. "Switched live supply to the brown fitting, neutral supply to the blue fitting, earth supply to the green/yellow fitting". Doesn't mention anything about there being multiple of each wire. Since online people said to splice the red and brown fitting wires together from the light to the block, i figured it'd be a similar procedure. There's a mains box that flips if something isn't right. This isn't the 60s.

I replied because as a former Health and Safety Representative I feel it's my duty to advise/warn of the dangers and/or potential repercussions. If you don't like my comment then fair enough but it's still the UK and I have the freedom to comment (unless it breaks the Code of Conduct).

And then the OP writes

There's a mains box that flips if something isn't right. This isn't the … There's a mains box that flips if something isn't right. This isn't the 60s.

They think they are protected because it will trip... wtf
Edited by: "philphil61" 10th Jul 2015
Hi
Time served Sparky here.

OK what you have is a 3 plate connection. The Blues are all Neutrals. (these should be connected together PLUS the neutral to the fan)
the Browns are all Lives. (these should be connected together plus if you need an always on live at the fan connect that here too)
the blue with brown marker is the switched live so this should be connected to the LIVE of the fan.

hope this helps

These should be connected toge
hopefully goes without saying the green /yellow are earth wires and should all be connected together PLUS any earth feed to the fan.
The switched live (blue with brown sleeve should be connected to the live from the light, the remaining browns should go to the loop( 1 brown is the live to switch, another brown is your loop in and the remaining brown is your loop out). then both the neutrals should connect to the neutral block along with the neutral from the light.
sloanes9620

The switched live (blue with brown sleeve should be connected to the live … The switched live (blue with brown sleeve should be connected to the live from the light, the remaining browns should go to the loop( 1 brown is the live to switch, another brown is your loop in and the remaining brown is your loop out). then both the neutrals should connect to the neutral block along with the neutral from the light.

yes indeed plus the green yellows together are the earths.
magicianfx

yes indeed plus the green yellows together are the earths.

I assumed that to be common knowledge lol. Make sure the switch is wired correctly too with brown to the common connection and switched live (blue with brown sheath) to L1
sloanes9620

I assumed that to be common knowledge lol. Make sure the switch is wired … I assumed that to be common knowledge lol. Make sure the switch is wired correctly too with brown to the common connection and switched live (blue with brown sheath) to L1

If it's a single switch that is. Earth to the connection also
It appears to be an accepted though bad practice to use the neutral blue from the switch as a live return. If you take the face plate off the switch you should find one red and one blue with brown sleeve connected to the switch.So the BLUES are not all neutrals, the one with the brown sleeve is in fact LIVE.
Given all the rules and regulations surrounding electrics it's about time this practice was phased out and electricians made to carry twin red for switch wires.
Original Poster
magicianfx

HiTime served Sparky here.OK what you have is a 3 plate connection. The … HiTime served Sparky here.OK what you have is a 3 plate connection. The Blues are all Neutrals. (these should be connected together PLUS the neutral to the fan)the Browns are all Lives. (these should be connected together plus if you need an always on live at the fan connect that here too)the blue with brown marker is the switched live so this should be connected to the LIVE of the fan.hope this helpsThese should be connected toge

sloanes9620

The switched live (blue with brown sleeve should be connected to the live … The switched live (blue with brown sleeve should be connected to the live from the light, the remaining browns should go to the loop( 1 brown is the live to switch, another brown is your loop in and the remaining brown is your loop out). then both the neutrals should connect to the neutral block along with the neutral from the light.

Just to be absolutely certain, i did another beautiful Paint diagram (including the earth symbol, check it out, took me ages).
http://s27.postimg.org/w5awhpfoz/new_wires.jpg
Is this what you both mean?
Neutrals to Neutrals, Earths to Earths.
Switched live "brown tipped thing" to the light (red).
Rest of browns connected to the fan (brown).

Thanks!
magicianfx

hopefully goes without saying the green /yellow are earth wires and … hopefully goes without saying the green /yellow are earth wires and should all be connected together PLUS any earth feed to the fan.

Ha, i've got the benefit of the doubt at least X)
magicianfx

HiTime served Sparky here.OK what you have is a 3 plate connection. The … HiTime served Sparky here.OK what you have is a 3 plate connection. The Blues are all Neutrals. (these should be connected together PLUS the neutral to the fan)the Browns are all Lives. (these should be connected together plus if you need an always on live at the fan connect that here too)the blue with brown marker is the switched live so this should be connected to the LIVE of the fan.hope this helpsThese should be connected toge

sloanes9620

magicianfx

hopefully goes without saying the green /yellow are earth wires and … hopefully goes without saying the green /yellow are earth wires and should all be connected together PLUS any earth feed to the fan.

how are you wanting the fan to be operated? is it by switch on the wall, by pull cord or is it remote control? plus are you wanting the fan and the light to operate together or independent to each other
http://www.ceilingrosewiring.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Ceiling-rose-old-colours.jpg
Original Poster
sloanes9620

how are you wanting the fan to be operated? is it by switch on the wall, … how are you wanting the fan to be operated? is it by switch on the wall, by pull cord or is it remote control? plus are you wanting the fan and the light to operate together or independent to each other

At the old house (electrician did it), everything was always off. When flicked on at the switch, the lights would come on. A separate pull-cord on the fitting itself would control the fan blades.
If possible, like that again would be great.

Would the little diagram i posted do that?
So, the switched live to the light would let the light switch toggle them.
Then the looped browns would make the fan always-on, but with its own separate toggle from the pull-cord.
Edited by: "EllEzDee" 10th Jul 2015
magicianfx

sloanes9620

magicianfx

the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it is wired to your loop where there is a constant supply of electricity. The brown fan wire should be wired in with the red light live wire then the switch will supply the electricity to both the light and the fan, then if there is a pull cord on the the ceiling fan this will cut the electricity to the fan and just leave the light on.
Original Poster
sloanes9620

the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it is … the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it is wired to your loop where there is a constant supply of electricity. The brown fan wire should be wired in with the red light live wire then the switch will supply the electricity to both the light and the fan, then if there is a pull cord on the the ceiling fan this will cut the electricity to the fan and just leave the light on.

sloanes9620

Sorry ignore last comment your wiring should work like that. check this … Sorry ignore last comment your wiring should work like that. check this site out. http://www.theceilingfancompany.co.uk/content/pdf/wiring-diagram-wall-light-pull.jpg

Ah, fantastic. Thanks a lot! You and magicianfx helped tremendously.

Gonna try it with the fan/light wires spliced in the same connection slot, like how the other guy had it on the pictures from his thread (and how you said in the first post).

Again, really grateful for the replies.

And if i don't reply for a few hours, we can all collectively agree that i'm not cut out for DIY.:D
whilst the connections are the same this diagram is of the old cable colours RED and BLACK the 17th edition of electrical regs brought in Brown for live and Blue for Neutral.

In answer to the OP yes that's what we both meant......there is an however....you need to tell us how you intend to control the fan.

The light connected to switch live will come on with the switch.
IF the fan has a seperate control connect that to the BROWN lives
IF the fan does not have its own control connect that cable to same as the light thevswitchwd live BLUE with BROWN.
sloanes9620

the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it is … the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it is wired to your loop where there is a constant supply of electricity. The brown fan wire should be wired in with the red light live wire then the switch will supply the electricity to both the light and the fan, then if there is a pull cord on the the ceiling fan this will cut the electricity to the fan and just leave the light on.

sloanes9620

Sorry ignore last comment your wiring should work like that. check this … Sorry ignore last comment your wiring should work like that. check this site out. http://www.theceilingfancompany.co.uk/content/pdf/wiring-diagram-wall-light-pull.jpg

like magicianfx says if there is a pull cord for the fan connect the brown fan wire to the loop as the pull cord will cut the electricity to the fan and your light switch will switch the light on and off.
sloanes9620

sloanes9620

After reading your opening post we already know you're not cut out for doing Electrical work,I doubt you will be back to tell the tale oO
Original Poster

magicianfx

whilst the connections are the same this diagram is of the old cable … whilst the connections are the same this diagram is of the old cable colours RED and BLACK the 17th edition of electrical regs brought in Brown for live and Blue for Neutral.In answer to the OP yes that's what we both meant......there is an however....you need to tell us how you intend to control the fan.The light connected to switch live will come on with the switch.IF the fan has a seperate control connect that to the BROWN livesIF the fan does not have its own control connect that cable to same as the light thevswitchwd live BLUE with BROWN.

sloanes9620

sloanes9620

sloanes9620

the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it … the way you have it wired there the fan would be permanently on as it is wired to your loop where there is a constant supply of electricity. The brown fan wire should be wired in with the red light live wire then the switch will supply the electricity to both the light and the fan, then if there is a pull cord on the the ceiling fan this will cut the electricity to the fan and just leave the light on.

sloanes9620

I went with the fan/light with the switched live in the end, rather than separate them.
Just to be certain: it's just down to preference, right? The fan itself does have its own control, but it's a "speed 0-4-3-2-1-0" control, which makes it a bit of a pain to toggle through. Feels easier to just leave it on a medium setting and then flick it on/off with the wall switch.

Again, huge thanks to you both. Closest i managed to find online involved setting up a junction box in the ceiling space...which would have been messy.

Cheers for all the responses from everyone.

deb8z

EllEzDee Ah, fantastic. Thanks a lot! You and magicianfx helped … EllEzDee Ah, fantastic. Thanks a lot! You and magicianfx helped tremendously.Gonna try it with the fan/light wires spliced in the same connection slot, like how the other guy had it on the pictures from his thread (and how you said in the first post). Again, really grateful for the replies.And if i don't reply for a few hours, we can all collectively agree that i'm not cut out for DIY.:DAfter reading your opening post we already know you're not cut out for doing Electrical work,I doubt you will be back to tell the tale oO

Oh ye of little faith.
The light shines, the blades spin, and i'm still breathing.
There's the tale.

And for what it's worth, the ladder was aluminium, so there was never any risk of electrocution.
EllEzDee

I went with the fan/light with the switched live in the end, rather than … I went with the fan/light with the switched live in the end, rather than separate them.Just to be certain: it's just down to preference, right? The fan itself does have its own control, but it's a "speed 0-4-3-2-1-0" control, which makes it a bit of a pain to toggle through. Feels easier to just leave it on a medium setting and then flick it on/off with the wall switch.Again, huge thanks to you both. Closest i managed to find online involved setting up a junction box in the ceiling space...which would have been messy.Cheers for all the responses from everyone.Oh ye of little faith. The light shines, the blades spin, and i'm still breathing. There's the tale. And for what it's worth, the ladder was aluminium, so there was never any risk of electrocution.

you will only be able to use the fan when the switch for the light is on. Which means that you cant have the light off during the day if you wanted the fan running.

Depends on the design of the fan, but most I have fitted (approved electrician here btw). There is usually a pull cord hanging from the centre of the fitting, which can turn the fan on or off, regardless of the light itself.

If you have a fitting with separate pull cord to control the fan, then you must connect the fan cable to the permanent live conductors, which are the ones connected to your loop terminal.
Please be careful the brown sleeving doesn't fall off the blue conductor, as it is a live cable, and you do not want to mix it with your neutrals.
How long will you still be breathing for though,it could still go wrong X)
Original Poster
coullgfx

you will only be able to use the fan when the switch for the light is on. … you will only be able to use the fan when the switch for the light is on. Which means that you cant have the light off during the day if you wanted the fan running.Depends on the design of the fan, but most I have fitted (approved electrician here btw). There is usually a pull cord hanging from the centre of the fitting, which can turn the fan on or off, regardless of the light itself.If you have a fitting with separate pull cord to control the fan, then you must connect the fan cable to the permanent live conductors, which are the ones connected to your loop terminal.Please be careful the brown sleeving doesn't fall off the blue conductor, as it is a live cable, and you do not want to mix it with your neutrals.

Sorry, forgot to mention the most important bit: there's a separate toggle for the light too.
It's just that the toggle for the fan blades cycles from fastest setting to slowest, and fastest is...ridiculous. For about a minute afterwards, the whole fitting rocks from side to side (promise i fitted it properly -- it hangs semi-freely from a joint connection). So if it's switch-controlled, i can just leave it on a non-ridiculous speed, then toggle it with the wall switch instead.
[/quote]Sorry, forgot to mention the most important bit: there's a separate toggle for the light too.
It's just that the toggle for the fan blades cycles from fastest setting to slowest, and fastest is...ridiculous. For about a minute afterwards, the whole fitting rocks from side to side (promise i fitted it properly -- it hangs semi-freely from a joint connection). So if it's switch-controlled, i can just leave it on a non-ridiculous speed, then toggle it with the wall switch instead.[/quote]

There should have been some balancing 'weights" stickers in the box which may now be in the bin?
deb8z

How long will you still be breathing for though,it could still go wrong X)

deb8z

Your contributions are not particularly useful are they!

I am waiting for you to post the results of your survey on "fans that self combust in the middle of the night and set fire to the house" just in case the OP was feeling in anyway pleased for getting his fan working !
Just one word on a comment from the OP about there being no risk of an electric shock because he was on alluminium ladders.

I am sure he was baring those the bay Sayers because the reason he would not get a shock was because the electricity was turned OFF whilst working. Indeed allyminium ladders and live working would be a fast route to an electric shock. (alluminium being a conductor) maybe the next purchase should be some non conductive ladders !
bating
nay sayers
damn corrective typing !
EllEzDee

Trying to stick a ceiling fan up. Gonna be using layman's terms … Trying to stick a ceiling fan up. Gonna be using layman's terms here, so bear with me.The original light had a "ceiling rose" with a "loop" connection. There's a lot of wires -- three (Live) browns, two earths, two (Neutral) blues, and one blue with a brown bit of heatshrink on it. Looked exactly like this:http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/images/stories/how_to/electrics/ceiling_rose_wiring_and_connections/typical_ceiling_rose_big.jpgAnother person asked a similar question for a similar light fitting, so i'm gonna steal his pictures. The block so far looks just like his, only it has 2 extra slots (one of them's marked "loop").http://postimg.org/image/566iryd9x/full/What i can't work out is how the wires sticking out of the ceiling are supposed to connect to the box. I cleverly tried putting all the blues with the blues, and all the browns with the brown/red. The mains switch flipped back down when i flipped it up, which somehow gave me the impression that that wasn't a good idea.Here's a Paint-painting of it so far.http://s8.postimg.org/i0vt5qa79/so_far.jpgBe grateful for any help. The instructions that came with it are of absolutely no use whatsoever. They don't even list half the fittings, let alone the electrical wiring.Thanks!The other person's thread: http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/ceiling-fan-where-connect-earth-wire-from-mounting-plate-1923568

The 3 browns are all permanent live, the 2 blues together are neutral and the one blue by itself is a switched live so youll see the load will be across the switched live and neutral as this only becomes live once the switch is on
as one of the few qualified electrical engineers on this site with inspection and test quals. it amazes me the junk people come out with, with no regard for what they are saying....
if you are not up to speed with 17th edition and know what you are talking about, do us all a favour and shut up...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants