EXPIRED

anyone work for Lidl?

hi all,

Anew Lidl is due to open in my town shortly and im applying for a part time job :thumbsup:

Does anyone work for them, or have any info/tips for me?

:-D :-D cheers!

34 Comments

loupomm

hi all,Anew Lidl is due to open in my town shortly and im applying for a … hi all,Anew Lidl is due to open in my town shortly and im applying for a part time job :thumbsup: Does anyone work for them, or have any info/tips for me?:-D :-D cheers!

Here's a tip: DON'T :giggle:

Original Poster

emasu

Here's a tip: DON'T :giggle:

can you elaborate? if your serious, why? i need to be sure im doing the right thing cos of the size of the changes it will mean to me and my family

loupomm

can you elaborate? if your serious, why? i need to be sure im doing the … can you elaborate? if your serious, why? i need to be sure im doing the right thing cos of the size of the changes it will mean to me and my family

Sorry, one of my friend's just got hold of the computer while i was washing my hair. :x

I'd say go for it, they seem a repsectable company and think of the discounts on already cheap food! :w00t:

Do they pay as much as Aldi? If so it's worth it. Aldi pay quite good wages, and Lidl are a very similar company.

Original Poster

im not sure of their rates as yet, i have an interview next week, i have to look into childcare for the holidays ect, hence it being a big thing, wanted to know if anyone had any experiences

duckmagicuk2

Do they pay as much as Aldi? If so it's worth it. Aldi pay quite good … Do they pay as much as Aldi? If so it's worth it. Aldi pay quite good wages, and Lidl are a very similar company.

I know, it's nuts. I was sat in The Penny Bank pub having a pint and discovered my beermat was advertising jobs at Aldi. Trainee managers earning £36000 and moving up to £55000 in 3 years. I honestly started questioning what on earth I was doing working my ass off as a designer.

Yeah, lol. And even the till people get paid plenty... £7.40 rising to £8.70 per hour.

Aldi store managers get £31,250 rising to £40,000+ pa after training and area managers get £38k pa plus fully expensed Audi A4 rising to £54.5k pa plus benefits.

MBeeching

I know, it's nuts. I was sat in The Penny Bank pub having a pint and … I know, it's nuts. I was sat in The Penny Bank pub having a pint and discovered my beermat was advertising jobs at Aldi. Trainee managers earning £36000 and moving up to £55000 in 3 years. I honestly started questioning what on earth I was doing working my ass off as a designer.

Yes but you have decent hours.I presume?.I just wouldn't want the late evenings and weekends of supermarket hours of opening.

Lidl are pretty much on par. Store assistants get hourly rate up to £7.80. Store Managers up to £35,000pa.

currychops

Yes but you have decent hours.I presume?.I just wouldn't want the late … Yes but you have decent hours.I presume?.I just wouldn't want the late evenings and weekends of supermarket hours of opening.

It's only Aldi... they don't open late! Open 9-6, 10-4 Sundays. No late hours there... plenty of scope for your social life in the evenings and they probably have weekend staff too.

I'm also thinking of applying for a job in a new lidl near me....wonder if we live in the same area? lol

Original Poster

cool, i'll only be part time, probably 10 -2 weedays while the kids are at school, just wanted to ask around before talking the plunge

Original Poster

Starlet

I'm also thinking of applying for a job in a new lidl near me....wonder … I'm also thinking of applying for a job in a new lidl near me....wonder if we live in the same area? lol

hahaha

im nowhere near yorkshire im afraid, im in surrey

good luck tho

i had heard a few whispers they are quite strict in training, anyone else heard this?

yes the pay is good.... BUT they sure as hell make you work for it.

rajpop

yes the pay is good.... BUT they sure as hell make you work for it.

Yes,I have heard the same,particularly the managers,I suppose they want their £35k worth!

Original Poster

muckypup

Yes,I have heard the same,particularly the managers,I suppose they want … Yes,I have heard the same,particularly the managers,I suppose they want their £35k worth!

i dont mind working for it aslong as its a friendly environment :thumbsup:

hhaha
friendly??? that depends on who your customers are, what part of town its in etc

theres times where even the managers have to get on the tills etc

I've noticed that the managers sometimes work on tills. I think it probably helps the employees to interact with each other and stuff.

Also, in my local store all of the staff are friendly and a lot of people talk back. I can't tell you how you're treated but it's a friendly atmosphere. I think if you come across as friendly and don't mind taking the time to talk to some of the older customers who come for the bargains in the mornings then you'll have a nice time.

I have, however, been to one close to a twon centre and saw the staff stop two shop lifters during my short visit... as rajpop says, it probably depends on the area.

Original Poster

will they let me take a laptop in, sit at the tills with it, browsing hot deals?.............

I doubt it. :-(

Original Poster

duckmagicuk2

I doubt it. :-(

awwwwwwwww

thanks for all the info guys

ok, speaking from experience here. Used to work for them when they were the new kids on the (cheap supermarket) block. I would definately recommend you do not work for them: For your 7 quid an hour you will work very, very hard: when you are not working a till, you will be merchendising stock, lifting cases, pulling pallets around the store, cleaning up in the evenings when the store has closed etc. Also they're non too hot at paying you correctly when you do them a favour and do the odd extra shift - they 'forget' to add it on to your timesheet. When you are allocated your break - if the shop-floor or tills get busy - you'll be pulled off your break to go back to work, they frown upon you leaving the store on your breaks/lunch, so that you're always on hand!!
If you're a manager, to get your £30+ grand a year, you have to sign a waiver to work in excess of 40 hours a week, usually in the region of at least 60 hours a week.

I could go on.... they are not in my list of favourite employers, best employer I had when working in Retail, was Argos - if there's one of them near you, apply there instead!!

Original Poster

thank you

Argos was my nex port of call

hi, my mothers cousin is a manager for our local lidl and very fair to his staff, the rate of pay seems o.k but like the others have said depends who your manager is, mind you the staff do change hands regulary in their so my husband said as he is always in their when the deals change, think they know him!!:giggle: but you could still go for interview and see what the manager and staff are like, instincts can go a long way, hope you get what you want, good luck :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sofiamary

hi, my mothers cousin is a manager for our local lidl and very fair to … hi, my mothers cousin is a manager for our local lidl and very fair to his staff, the rate of pay seems o.k but like the others have said depends who your manager is, mind you the staff do change hands regulary in their so my husband said as he is always in their when the deals change, think they know him!!:giggle: but you could still go for interview and see what the manager and staff are like, instincts can go a long way, hope you get what you want, good luck :thumbsup:

thank you :-D

im going to go and see how it pans out, i might not even get it, i have no experience, having been at home with the kids for what seems like forever!, i have to look into childcare too so theres alot of factors

loupomm

hi all,Anew Lidl is due to open in my town shortly and im applying for a … hi all,Anew Lidl is due to open in my town shortly and im applying for a part time job :thumbsup: Does anyone work for them, or have any info/tips for me?:-D :-D cheers!

good luck!

Original Poster

thank you

i'll keep you all posted to how it goes

The last time i was in Lidl near christchurch (bournemouth way), another member of staff asked the young lad on the till if they had adverts for jobs in russia, as nearly all the till workers were from there... it made me smile

[SIZE=2]:whistling: Hey Bubbles70[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If this is the one in Boscome, then they must have changed their staff again, as I was sure they were all from Poland....... never mind next week it will be Romania. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Most of the staff are friendly.... especially if you can speak Polish, in which case they seem to talk for ages, and no manager ever tells them off - [/SIZE]

Can anyone tell me what date is payday for Lidl in the uk

Kim101

Dusty in here oO

Kim101

Yes, it's on the 32nd of each month.

Mark2111

Yes, it's on the 32nd of each month.

I thought it was the 5th Friday of every month.

all of the staff at my local appear happy, very nice to you,

when busy they scan very fast and want you to move on but to be fare that keeps the q down
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2141
    2. jeremy hunt £44.000 for a new bathroom ??1212
    3. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1929
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763947

See more discussions