Groups

Anyone work for Tesco?

What sort of stuff do they ask at the interview? My lil sis has one on Monday and she is so nervous!

9 Comments

Ask ]Lee (aka Saxo appeal) he works for them and has had a few interviews.

When I worked there I got in 'on the nod' (my brother already worked there). I did have an interview 'of sorts' and it was fairly basic stuff. Their number 1 priority is customer service, so tell her to go on about how customers are right, complaints are blessings blah, blah, blah...

Good luck to her...tell her to go for the sharesave scheme (if they still do it). I got loads of shares out of that!...

Hope she gets the job is it her first interview???

I worked there before, from some of the people that they had working there more than likely if you can speak (just) and follow instructions (or say you can) and look like you are keen to work there wont be any problems. Some of the people we has working there on nights were unbelievable!

Good luck for her - they do offer some decent packages for employees...but it is getting harsher for new starters...some of the long term staff were on double what the new starters were on..sometimes more - as they used to offer a much better deal.

Decent share options and stuff. Just look keen and play the 'I want to be part of one of the biggest companies in the world card and maintain the high image people have of Tesco' card

Good luck to her...tell her to go for the sharesave scheme (if they still do it). I got loads of shares out of that!...

Yes they do:thumbsup: i have just got given 54 shares =£254.05 The benefits are great, i get money off my shopping to as i have worked for them over 12 months and i can buy more shares as i earn and if i hold them for 5 years i won't pay any tax or n insurance on them if i cash them in:-D but you do have to live and breath the tesco way.. it isn't always easy to swallow my advise is keep your head down and your mouth shut as it will get you no were and no-one cares but if you can become Tescoed then they will love ya:p

" and the pay has just gone up 4% :w00t: "

There are loads of standard questions that are based on your experiences, for example:

Tell me about a time when you had to take control of a situation.

Tell me about a time where you made a new relationship with someone.

Tell me about a time when you had to help someone.

There are in depth questions they may ask such as: How did you find out that the other person needed your help? What feedback did they give you after you had helped them?

The marks you'll receive aren't really for the answers anyway, you could say anything like you had to take control of a country when the president was ill and you did a fantastic job! So the answer doesn't really matter, the marks are for things like talking confidently and clearly, making eye contact, ensuring understanding of what you're saying etc.

Personally I used to ask extra questions depending on the job I was interviewing for, for example if it's for a checkout assistant I would ask questions about how they would interact with customers. If it was a job where they'd have to work on their own I'd want to ask some questions to see whether they could be trusted to work properly on their own. If they had to work well in a team I'd want to find out how they interacted with other people and what their personality was like and whether I thought they would mix well with the current team.

So it's more about whether the interviewer thinks that you'd do a good job rather than having the "correct" answers to the questions. There is no correct answer, it's how you answer them and how trustworthy/competent you appear to the interviewer and whether they think they'll get on with you. They won't want to employ someone who's just going to argue with other members of staff.

There is also a work sample section which they may skip depending on how lazy they are. Personally I always did them as you get a bit of work for free out of the person and you can see whether they'd be able to cope with the job or not. It also gives them a chance to work with one of your current members of staff and the interviewer is usually a bit more honest about things when talking to your member of staff. So your member of staff will give you an opinion afterwards which gives you a better idea of what they're really like and how well they'd fit into the team. Your member of staff will also be quite honest about how you are as a manager and what the job is really like so it gives the interviewee a chance to change their mind if they don't think they'd like it rather than waiting until they've been employed for a day and deciding not to come back after they've realised what it's like!!!

Hope that helps.

When you walk into the interview, ask if you can sit on three chairs instead of one, taking chairs away from other people if necessary.

If you are asked a question you don't like, just give the interviewer £20 instead of an answer.

When they say "Is there anything you'd like to ask us?" then get their full name, address, postcode, bank details and last 12 shopping receipts.

BristolDeal

When you walk into the interview, ask if you can sit on three chairs … When you walk into the interview, ask if you can sit on three chairs instead of one, taking chairs away from other people if necessary.If you are asked a question you don't like, just give the interviewer £20 instead of an answer.When they say "Is there anything you'd like to ask us?" then get their full name, address, postcode, bank details and last 12 shopping receipts.

:giggle: :giggle: You have worked for Tesco haven't you

Thankfully not! I never set foot in one of their stores, even if it means not getting something I want. (Seriously - we have a household BAN on ever shopping at Tesco!)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Beds33
      2. What to do?????34
      3. Any free Now TV sports passes?22
      4. Best VR games?22

See more discussions