Anyone work Offshore? Internet question

18 replies
Found 18th Mar 2009
Hi folks, i work offshore but for the life of me cant remember what the connection is to connect my laptop to the internet points?

iv bought this netbook Acer A150 N270 1GB 160GB 8.9" Blue XP Netbook for £233.46
direct.tesco.com/q/R…spx
and im thinking it might not have the right connection, think its got a RJ45 cable....
but do i go from RJ45 to a normal phone line connection or something

thanks for any help

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
18 Comments

RJ45 is for ethernet. RJ11 is for phoneline. They look sort-of similar, but the technology behind the connectors is completelydifferent, so you can't connect to a phoneline using an ethernet port. You can, however, connect to a Local Area Network, so assuming wherever you'll be has its own internet connection which it shares out via an ethernet network, you'll be okay. If not, well, come here, I'll give you a hug.

Original Poster

Dam, looks like ill be sending it back then

they have interntet points but if i need an RJ11 then this netbook doesnt have it

]http//di…spx

saxo_appeal;4671537

Dam, looks like ill be sending it back then :(they have interntet points … Dam, looks like ill be sending it back then :(they have interntet points but if i need an RJ11 then this netbook doesnt have it]http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-6956.aspx

I reckon you should just keep it. No RJ11 port isn't too bad a thing, and I doubt you'll be able to find any full-size laptops, nevermind netbooks, with RJ11 ports built in these days. It's just the problem ye ol' 56k dialup technology. No-one seems to use it or provide for it anymore.

But, aye - you can still hook up a USB modem to the netbook, and since you'd be tethered to the wall in either case, it's no big problem.

Saxo, you will be using standard ethernet. Don't worry about it

Original Poster

How can you be sure Baz? do you not think it will be RJ11 mate

Original Poster

Yeh im sure the offshore connections are RJ11

Does you RIG not have a wireless network? I wouldn't expect that each area has a phone line that you have to use a modem and dial up on?!

Surely there's ethernet ports. What about in the IT room and stuff? Do all the computers connect using dial up, or do you normally plug it in and it works?

Original Poster

Nah you get internet rooms where there is like maybe a couple of computers (which are always being used) and a couple of open internet bays where you can sit and hook up your laptop! it is broadband Offshore not dial up, all you do is hook the laptop up and connect!
Im sure its a RJ11 connection like, i couldnt see it being the chunky RJ45 connection

Back to the drawing boards then, maybe you dont get netbooks with RJ11 modem connections then

Is there anything i can maybe connect to the Acer i have bought to allow me a RJ11 connection

saxo_appeal;4671832

Nah you get internet rooms where there is like maybe a couple of … Nah you get internet rooms where there is like maybe a couple of computers (which are always being used) and a couple of open internet bays where you can sit and hook up your laptop! it is broadband Offshore not dial up, all you do is hook the laptop up and connect!Im sure its a RJ11 connection like, i couldnt see it being the chunky RJ45 connectionBack to the drawing boards then, maybe you dont get netbooks with RJ11 modem connections thenIs there anything i can maybe connect to the Acer i have bought to allow me a RJ11 connection

It will be RJ45 for the offshore network comms for the Windows computer systems (for ethernet based networking) - RJ11 would mean you would have to have a dial up modem connection, which on the older rigs would cause problems with the MUX set-ups they still have.

IF by the rare chance they do have an RJ11 modem system in place, you can get a USB to RJ11 modem off of the internet quite cheaply (plug it into one of the USB ports on your computer & then plug the RJ11 cable into the adapter and off you go) - last time I looked for one (as part of an ongoing project) they were averaging out about £150.00p to £35.00p dependent on the manufacturer option you were going for.

Any chance you can phone your back to back and get him to have a gander for you or even better phone the comms tech on the rig to clarify?

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:

bazzaric;4671792

Does you RIG not have a wireless network? I wouldn't expect that each … Does you RIG not have a wireless network? I wouldn't expect that each area has a phone line that you have to use a modem and dial up on?!Surely there's ethernet ports. What about in the IT room and stuff? Do all the computers connect using dial up, or do you normally plug it in and it works?

[FONT="Verdana"]
There are not many rigs offshore in the UK sector of the North Sea that have wireless installed - its predominately the Danish & Norwegian sectors that do.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

[FONT="Verdana"]Right I've done a very very quick search in Google UK and listed below are some initial results if you get confirmation that you need a USB modem - note that I have just grabbed the top four shopping result options & added them, so I have no idea what they are like or whether the resellers listed are any good (I'm in the middle of work just now that I need to get done).

D-Link DU 562M - 56 Kbps Fax / modem - USB
google.co.uk/pro…tle

Trust 56K USB Modem MD-1270 - 56 Kbps Fax / modem - USB
google.co.uk/pro…tle

USRobotics 56K USB Faxmodem USR5637 - 56 Kbps Fax / modem - USB
google.co.uk/pro…tle

Lenovo USB Modem - 56 Kbps Fax / modem - USB
google.co.uk/pro…tle

Original Poster

Scotty i could give you a big slobbery kiss haha

Just dont tell Baz Shhhhhhhh

thanks again and again for all your help everyone

yeh iv been mostly in the North sea rigs, brae alpha, east brae and brae bravo..way up north to the Murchison
then just recently iv been on the Seafox4 East of Norwich (dutch) where i think im going to be for a while

saxo_appeal;4672251

Scotty i could give you a big slobbery kiss hahaJust dont tell Baz … Scotty i could give you a big slobbery kiss hahaJust dont tell Baz Shhhhhhhh thanks again and again for all your help everyoneyeh iv been mostly in the North sea rigs, brae alpha, east brae and brae bravo..way up north to the Murchisonthen just recently iv been on the Seafox4 East of Norwich (dutch) where i think im going to be for a while

[FONT="Verdana"]
Eh, a beer would be better mate as you don't want to start rumors offshore! No probs min, glad to help you out - I can beat them by having to do a stint on the old Santa Fe 135 in the UK sector (hated that one big time!) and the South Arne over in the Danish sector.

Original Poster

Oh Scotty am i bad !!!

I went and bought this netbook and returning the Acer
]http//ww…60g

saxo_appeal;4683110

Oh Scotty am i bad !!! I went and bought this netbook and returning the … Oh Scotty am i bad !!! I went and bought this netbook and returning the Acer ]http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/360622/lg-netbook-atom-1-6ghz-1gb-ram-160g

[FONT="Verdana"]To much money mate and not enough common sense! No, as per the message I sent its fine as your making a saving in cost plus your getting a slightly larger screen, which will be easier on your eyes as well.

ever hear of opito m8?

saxo_appeal;4671832

Nah you get internet rooms where there is like maybe a couple of … Nah you get internet rooms where there is like maybe a couple of computers (which are always being used) and a couple of open internet bays where you can sit and hook up your laptop! it is broadband Offshore not dial up, all you do is hook the laptop up and connect!Im sure its a RJ11 connection like, i couldnt see it being the chunky RJ45 connection

Those connections won't be RJ11, they will be RJ45 for ethernet - an RJ11 connection on the machine is used to plug into a standard analogue phoneline and dial up your connection individually over a very slow 56K connection.

John

Original Poster

cheers john !
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Gas Cooker Hose Required56
    2. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed428
    3. Driving anxiety.1212
    4. Advice on a cheaper hand held vacuum please.35

See more discussions