Groups

Anyones kids go to cubs?

Just wondered as i want to find something for my daughter to do. I thougth brownies or cubs....they are basically the same right? But wondered about cubs there is a group 3 minutes away from me and as i dont drive would be very handy! Does anyone take there girls ? do they enjoy it ?
    Im taking her there on thursday to see but only £2 a week so not bad.

14 Comments

I went to cubs....... I always thought cubs were for boys, brownies were for girls

traditionally cubs/scouts is for boys and rainbows/brownies is for girls but girls can go to the cub group but i dont think boys can go to rainbows! My eldest went to beavers but decided he didnt like it after I had purchased ALL the uniform, so best not to invest until you are sure she is going to stay!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]hi there, my daughter has done rainbows and beavers at the same time and brownies and cubs..
    she is now a scout..
    she loved cubs there was more to do there than brownies..
    hope your daughter enjoys it.....[/COLOR]

Either can no longer state girls or boys.

You don't state how old she is but grandaughter aged 9 went to cubs and really enjoyed it. She was the only girl but the boys were all just her mates. When she moved to scouts, she recruited 5 other girls to join her. She is now 13 and they all love it. Camping weekends etc and love getting their tent up quicker than the boys. Far more exciting that the guides from what my daughters did

I suspect they will all be friends for a long time. Go for whatever is nearest but try and get some of her friends to go. She might not notice at first but they do get to a stage where boys become very interesting. My daughters and gdaughter all went to girls only schools, so it was important that they had normal contact wilh boys

IMO anything you can get your kids interested in, will eventually keep them off the streets

Boys cannot join the girlguiding groups.

i thought you meant clubs...

bitseylango;2407334

Boys cannot join the girlguiding groups.

I know not many boys would want to join but I am not aware there are rules that say they can't ?

iglimpse;2408877

I know not many boys would want to join but I am not aware there are … I know not many boys would want to join but I am not aware there are rules that say they can't ?

I wasnt aware of it until I read this girlguiding.org.uk/gui…asp

Original Poster

They said they go on two camping trips a year! but may miss this one in auguest as they have to have the money in by next friday (im taking her thursday) So gona be a struggle to see if she can get on! I really want tp get her into a group like this where she goes camping and makes new friends and new experiances......Dont want her to start though if she cant go ttill nxt year!! But this is the closest to me! Decisions decisions

bitseylango;2409116

I wasnt aware of it until I read this … I wasnt aware of it until I read this http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/guides/parents/faqs.asp

Thanks for that. Clearly boy scouts must have decided to let girls in !

my son goes to beavers & there are quite a few girls that go that will be going up to cubs in september :thumbsup:

Original Poster

iglimpse;2407300

Either can no longer state girls or boys. You don't state how old she is … Either can no longer state girls or boys. You don't state how old she is but grandaughter aged 9 went to cubs and really enjoyed it. She was the only girl but the boys were all just her mates. When she moved to scouts, she recruited 5 other girls to join her. She is now 13 and they all love it. Camping weekends etc and love getting their tent up quicker than the boys. Far more exciting that the guides from what my daughters didI suspect they will all be friends for a long time. Go for whatever is nearest but try and get some of her friends to go. She might not notice at first but they do get to a stage where boys become very interesting. My daughters and gdaughter all went to girls only schools, so it was important that they had normal contact wilh boysIMO anything you can get your kids interested in, will eventually keep them off the streets

She is 8 .....9 in september

My son went to Cubs and is now a Scout. Taking him there was the best thing we ever did, he absolutely loves it, it really is good for them and I would thoroughly recommend you take her along. You can normally pick the uniform up from ebay quite cheaply, you only need the top, the Cubs provide the necker and you provide your own trousers, so it isn't really expensive. As for camps and trips away, they all provide a savings type scheme where you can just pay a little bit weekly, and they do keep the costs down as much as possible. Mine has had 3 days away for £20 recently although it is more for the full week. My little girl can't wait to join!

My local scout group had a vote on whether girls could join and it was a majority No vote.

I really enjoyed beavers, cubs and scouts and met alot of good friends. My sister found that girl guides are alot more restricted to what they were allowed to do compared to scouts. They werent even allowed to go to quasar because it was deemed too violent. lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2635
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2241
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346

See more discussions