Anyway to revert back to Hotmail webmail from Outlook?

16 replies
Found 13th Dec 2016
I've used Hotmail as my primary email for around 20 years now and for the past 4 years the majority of the time I use a browser on my Android phone, but as of around two weeks ago Hotmail seems to have been replaced by Outlook which I find basically unusable. A similar thing happened around a year ago, but that time there was an option where I could opt out of the change. I can't see a way back this time.

When my mail was served by the Hotmail platform I could access it almost instantaneously, but now, on accessing the Outlook web page, a progress bar is shown which gets to over half way immediately, but then takes over ten seconds to complete and bring up my mail.

On my phone it only shows 5 or 6 emails at a time (can scroll down for more) and I can't grasp how to reliably open or select emails. A quick press of a message can do either, but typically brings up the select check box. I would expect a long press to enter select modes.

Once a message is open I can no longer find a button to progress to the next email and I have to go back to the email list before I can then select the next.

The search facility seems to take a long time to become usable. Navigation of sub-folders is very clunky with many folders not presented for selection.

I realise there's an Outlook app, but I find that has a similar or different setback of drawbacks to the outlook web site.

I just want it to go back to how it was!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

According to this website itpro.co.uk/ema…ack it's gone for good.
The only alternative I can think of is to use another email app that can access the hotmail/outlook servers eg thunderbird by mozilla can be configured for (pretty much) any email provider. I'll search a bit more see what i can turn up as a solution.

The change over Hotmail did is permanent it's not like some sites that offer old layout and new it was just changed over.

You can play with the layout and functions if you go to settings it's the cog on the top right then choose display settings their are a list of options to change how it looks but might not be what your looking for.

rob3rt beet me to some of the comments lol.
Edited by: "timetraveler_" 13th Dec 2016

One of these might work for you, assuming you want an app on your phone.
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/devices/best-email-apps/23585/very-best-email-apps-android-2016
From the albeit brief reviews, either TypeApp or Boxer should suit, both mention integration with hotmail so I assume that means it's easy to set up.

I agree, the new look is horrendous, especially for scrolling through emails. It's so glitchy as well - it shows as unread emails being in my inbox, but when I select the Unread filter, it finds none.

There are 2 apps for Android by Microsoft - Hotmail and Outlook.

Outlook looks more professional, but the interface is less user friendly. It also has a "focused" email section and an "other" section. Focused brings up emails you are "more likely to read" based on past activity and algorithms I'm guessing. However this doesn't always work as sometimes junk emails end up being in my focused page and very important emails end up in my others page. The lack of user friendliness comes when trying to navigate through emails. There isn't a swipe function to view the next email - you have to physically press back and then select the next email. When using mobile data, Outlook appears to notify you of a new email much sooner than Hotmail.

Hotmail is a bit more cluttered. You have one inbox instead of a focused page and others page. You can swipe left or right to view next or previous emails, which is handy for quick navigation. I also personally find the emails easier to read, although some emails won't appear full screen and you need to keep moving left to right to read long chunks of text. One strong downside is the sorting mail rules don't get carried through to the app. So if you have rules for sorting your mail into particular folders, most of them just end up in your inbox, unless you sync every folder you use to your phone. But it doesn't affect every rule, even for folders that remain unsynced. There are a couple of emails that I receive that still end up going to their correct folders, despite not syncing them.

So depending on how you use your emails, the apps might be a better choice than Android browser. Personally, I prefer Hotmail, simply down to the ease of navigation.

And for desktop, laptop, etc one of these might suit: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/windows-7-email-5-best-free-clients-903699
We use thunderbird (made by same folk who make firefox) but any of those can work with hotmail; as long as the application can send and receive, then you wont need to use outlook.com again.

aquamail on android is good for email

Not the answer you looking for but some help with the website/app. If you touch the left hand side like the sender's initials on the app it "selects/marks" the email, touch the middle or far side to actually open the email. For after opening an email to full screen and trying to move to next afraid you have to close and reopen.
Folders you press the hamburger button then choose show more folders for your entire folder list. In all honesty I actually like the outlook app with the one exception being the not being able to move onto next email.

Jeikobu88

I agree, the new look is horrendous, especially for scrolling through … I agree, the new look is horrendous, especially for scrolling through emails. It's so glitchy as well - it shows as unread emails being in my inbox, but when I select the Unread filter, it finds none. There are 2 apps for Android by Microsoft - Hotmail and Outlook. Outlook looks more professional, but the interface is less user friendly. It also has a "focused" email section and an "other" section. Focused brings up emails you are "more likely to read" based on past activity and algorithms I'm guessing. However this doesn't always work as sometimes junk emails end up being in my focused page and very important emails end up in my others page. The lack of user friendliness comes when trying to navigate through emails. There isn't a swipe function to view the next email - you have to physically press back and then select the next email. When using mobile data, Outlook appears to notify you of a new email much sooner than Hotmail.Hotmail is a bit more cluttered. You have one inbox instead of a focused page and others page. You can swipe left or right to view next or previous emails, which is handy for quick navigation. I also personally find the emails easier to read, although some emails won't appear full screen and you need to keep moving left to right to read long chunks of text. One strong downside is the sorting mail rules don't get carried through to the app. So if you have rules for sorting your mail into particular folders, most of them just end up in your inbox, unless you sync every folder you use to your phone. But it doesn't affect every rule, even for folders that remain unsynced. There are a couple of emails that I receive that still end up going to their correct folders, despite not syncing them. So depending on how you use your emails, the apps might be a better choice than Android browser. Personally, I prefer Hotmail, simply down to the ease of navigation.

​You can toggle the focused inbox off or on within the apps settings. Although the other stupid one they made where items move to another kind of junk folder (can't remember what they called it!) can only be switched off from office365 web settings against your account.

Edit: "clutter" is what they called that stupid folder!
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 14th Dec 2016

Can someone make a petition or something. I hate outlook. It doesn't load emails. Takes ages. Can't select emails page by page to delete them. It's absolutely rubbish

Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look at some of the suggested android email client apps this weekend, but I've always been wary of providing my email password to these. I did look for thunderbird app but couldn't find one, not sure if they have a web version.

I can more or less tolerate the desktop version of outlook, it's just the mobile outlook web access site which has crippled how I use email on the go on my phone. I timed it at 15 seconds earlier just to open the page in chrome.

Original Poster

barney89

Can someone make a petition or something. I hate outlook. It doesn't load … Can someone make a petition or something. I hate outlook. It doesn't load emails. Takes ages. Can't select emails page by page to delete them. It's absolutely rubbish

Selecting emails by the page (maybe 20 emails) is a feature I used to use regularly. A viewable page now has around 4.

Second vote for Aquamail - I have tried a lot of e-mail apps and Aquamail is the easiest to use and looks really good.
The search also works unlike most of the other e-mail apps.

Aquamail is great - mark read and delete from the notification bar. Way better than outlook app.

thought it was just me ! with this problem

Original Poster

scoshi

Aquamail is great - mark read and delete from the notification bar. Way … Aquamail is great - mark read and delete from the notification bar. Way better than outlook app.

​Is it secure to let aquamail, or any other email client have your email password?

nidgesy

​Is it secure to let aquamail, or any other email client have your email p … ​Is it secure to let aquamail, or any other email client have your email password?

No idea. (I'm an IT Manager haha)
There's some decent security information here though:
aqua-mail.com/?pa…878
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50432
    2. hello fashion mag/jigsaw comp - win £1,000 to spend INSTORE at jigsaw88
    3. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…55
    4. daily mail comp - win a trip to queensland - comp closes 8th november, 201766

See more discussions