anyway to speed broadband connection up....443 kbps....omg

24 replies
Found 16th Dec 2009
Knew it was bad but thats awful. I knew it was poor we live out in the sticks but thats just farcical.
What do other people get....
is there anything in the house we could do to help improve it other than move.

23 Comments

dont know how fast mine is supposed to be but i usually get about 6-10 mbps

my internets allways like this,cannot work for days sometimes and other times can be fine for weeks ,have got new modem and everything else,i would see if a new modem and all other internet stuff makes a diffriene and if not call a bt man if its that bad

Make sure your router is plugged directly into the main phone socket and not through and telephone extension leads as this will affect your speeds.

Original Poster

martinhb;7248350

Make sure your router is plugged directly into the main phone socket and … Make sure your router is plugged directly into the main phone socket and not through and telephone extension leads as this will affect your speeds.

Yes it is unfortunately but thanks for trying.

Goofeys Girl;7248530

Yes it is unfortunately but thanks for trying.

Do you know your synch speed. Are you a BT broadband customer? Do you have other phone sockets in the house, are all the in use ones filtered (sky, fax, phone etc)?
How is your phone line any crackles, hums, buzz on it?

Original Poster

Paddy_o_furniture;7248576

Do you know your synch speed. Are you a BT broadband customer? Do you … Do you know your synch speed. Are you a BT broadband customer? Do you have other phone sockets in the house, are all the in use ones filtered (sky, fax, phone etc)?How is your phone line any crackles, hums, buzz on it?

Bit technical for me but will try....no we are with Zen but comes through BT. We have sockets in the house but dont use any of them. We have sky but i dont bother connecting this to the phone socket if that makes sense...we never pay for films etc when i think we would have to be connected. With regards to fax etc it is next to the PC not sure what you mean by filtered to be honest.

Phone line always seems OK to me.

If you are using a telephone line for your internet connection, you need to put an adsl filter in between your actual phone socket and the router/modem thats plugged into it. You need one on all phones plugged in really, they usualy supply 2 or 3 when they send out your equipment. MIght be worth giving em a call and asking em to send a few to you.

see this list of requirements, point 5 ]http//ww…spx

Original Poster

Oh realised i have told a fib above.
It is not connected to the main socket which is by the front door in the hallway, The house is quite spacious and we cannot have a lead running from that socket to the one i use which is in dining room as we have stone floors, The one phone we use and the PC router are plugged into this same socket. i dont think there is anyway the router could be connected to this main socket due to length of leads you would need.

Original Poster

stephen4X;7248811

If you are using a telephone line for your internet connection, you need … If you are using a telephone line for your internet connection, you need to put an adsl filter in between your actual phone socket and the router/modem thats plugged into it. You need one on all phones plugged in really, they usualy supply 2 or 3 when they send out your equipment. MIght be worth giving em a call and asking em to send a few to you.

Yes i know what you mean we are using one of those.

Check the socket near the door to see if there is a horizontal line across the front of the faceplate, if so..it's the "main" one, Your service may be affected if you go through extensions instead.

Goto this ste speedtester.bt.com/ enter the relevant info.
Filter is usually a lttle square/rectangle box attached to the telephone socket before any other equipment. Usually looks like thishttp://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/CX109HS.JPG
Have you tried your connection in the "test point" of the master socket like thishttp://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring_files/image012.jpg
youtube video youtube.com/wat…fms it's more about dial tone but just to give you an idea. Do you know how to access the line stats of your router?

I've had the exact same issue today, had to move my router next to the frontdoor in my apartment, less than ideal place of course! Looking into getting a bracket of some sort to try to move it out of the way. Very annoying though!

Original Poster

]http//ww…spx[/QUOTE]

Checked the line on zen and it said the maximum we could get is 0.5 MBPS....so i guess that means we are nearly getting the best we can....
Now getting fed up with countryside....we should have a council tax reduction.

Is it a horrible DIY extension cable like this
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/116289_front200.jpg
As someone says above you need to test it in your master socket,

you can request an iPlate from BT, it can supposedly give you speed increases of upto 4mbps.

Worth plugging your router into the main phone socket and testing if you get a speed increase, then you can decide if its worth the bother of trying to permanently site it there.

Original Poster

mattbisme;7248921

you can request an iPlate from BT, it can supposedly give you speed … you can request an iPlate from BT, it can supposedly give you speed increases of upto 4mbps.

Thanks will look into that.

Original Poster

martinhb;7248980

Worth plugging your router into the main phone socket and testing if you … Worth plugging your router into the main phone socket and testing if you get a speed increase, then you can decide if its worth the bother of trying to permanently site it there.

I will do that see if there is any improvement

Thankyou to you all...particularly for putting photos in i know you went to alot of trouble. i will rep you all. hope you have a lovely christmas.

mattbisme;7248921

you can request an iPlate from BT, it can supposedly give you speed … you can request an iPlate from BT, it can supposedly give you speed increases of upto 4mbps.

Just ordered one of these thanks. :thumbsup:

Just tried zen they said 5mb max but they can KMA. im with o2 and get usually 8-10 but can push it to a constant 13 when using it on (reddacted....due to first rule of fightclub).

Original Poster

redheap;7249918

Just tried zen they said 5mb max but they can KMA. im with o2 and get … Just tried zen they said 5mb max but they can KMA. im with o2 and get usually 8-10 but can push it to a constant 13 when using it on (reddacted....due to first rule of fightclub).

Thats interesting...i have been thinking of going with 02 for a while although i cant fault zens customer service but it does make you wonder.

redheap;7249918

Just tried zen they said 5mb max but they can KMA. im with o2 and get … Just tried zen they said 5mb max but they can KMA. im with o2 and get usually 8-10 but can push it to a constant 13 when using it on (reddacted....due to first rule of fightclub).

O2 use ADSL2+ for most of their packages, Zen's estimate is for ADSL which is what they provide (and which most of the country is limited to) so it will naturally be lower.

It is true that the estimates are usually pessimistic due to common problems like an unfiltered ring wire (which is what the iPlate is designed to solve) to stop people complaining and the way it's done is rough and ready and based on a database so it's not always that accurate.

Probably the best way to find out if there's any problems or if it's just due to the length of your line is to find out your connection stats from your router and then use a calculator like ]this.

A 443kbps connection isn't bad though, I only switched from a 512kbps one (with Zen) last year and the only real difference I noticed was in file download speed and a few of the higher quality steaming videos. It's nothing like the previous 10x increase in speed that going from dial-up to broadband was.

The government has declared it wants 2Mbps for everyone by 2012 which would definitely help you, but whether that will be continued after the election who knows.

EndlessWaves;7257053

O2 use ADSL2+ for most of their packages, Zen's estimate is for ADSL … O2 use ADSL2+ for most of their packages, Zen's estimate is for ADSL which is what they provide (and which most of the country is limited to) so it will naturally be lower.It is true that the estimates are usually pessimistic due to common problems like an unfiltered ring wire (which is what the iPlate is designed to solve) to stop people complaining and the way it's done is rough and ready and based on a database so it's not always that accurate.Probably the best way to find out if there's any problems or if it's just due to the length of your line is to find out your connection stats from your router and then use a calculator like ]this.A 443kbps connection isn't bad though, I only switched from a 512kbps one (with Zen) last year and the only real difference I noticed was in file download speed and a few of the higher quality steaming videos. It's nothing like the previous 10x increase in speed that going from dial-up to broadband was. The government has declared it wants 2Mbps for everyone by 2012 which would definitely help you, but whether that will be continued after the election who knows.

BT wholesale supplies the service providers with basic line loss data. My line was almost 60db attenuation when I moved house and BT guesstimated a synch speed of 3-4Mbps and they guessed pretty much right. However a better (maybe shorter or better quality cable was available to the cabinet). My line is now 48db and I synch at just over 6Mbps on rate adaptive ADSL (adsl max upto 8 meg). Contact your SP they may arrange an engineer visit to attempt to improve your service, you may have a better cable available to your cabinet (the little green BT street box).
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74830
    2. Win free gin for a year99
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk33

See more discussions