Anyway to trace who the owner of a mobile phone is?

Found 18th Nov 2011
I need some advice...I recently advertised something in a local paper now some weirdo keeps calling me from a mobile phone! He doesn't hide his number, so I have that. He isn't threatening but the calls are very strange and now silent.

Any ideas? I have 2 children and whilst my address is not in the advert, worried in case 'weirdo' speaks to them! Hubby wants to pull his arms off and batter him to death with them...not helpful!

Never had this sort of thing before and not sure what to do?
Community Updates
51 Comments
post the number up here and get everyone to add it to a some nice phone lists
Contact the police?

Just a thought.....
Have you heard of the "Police"?
whatsThePoint

ring the number and say you have won a prize, then ask for name/address … ring the number and say you have won a prize, then ask for name/address so it can be delivered

http://www.motivationals.org/demotivational-posters/demotivational-poster-18334.jpg
my way gets results
Alfonse

my way gets results

im with plastic man here. a few london telephone booths should do the trick
On second thoughts don't bother with the police

Post a question on a shopping deals forum asking for help instead

Oh wait.....
Good grief...tell the Police!
thesaint

Have you heard of the "Police"?

He hasn't actually threatened me and hubby said that they would only look into if he was threatening me. (I wanted to call the Police once it was clear he was a little nutty!)

The weirdo started of just calling, initially wanted me to take the item to him (rang about 5 times) and when I said no, then wanted my name and address (no I didn't give it!), he then tried calling with funny accent (same mobile no), now calling but not saying anything...

Thanks, I'll give Police a call and see what they advise.

I had a problem with someone calling my mobile a few years ago - I called Orange, who were my provider at the time, and they blocked the number from calling me; it was a free service because it's classed as malicious calls, so try giving your provider a call. If it's your landline they are calling I'm sure a similar service must exist, if not it may be a hassle but if you're concerned about him speaking to your children maybe you could ask them to change your telephone number.

It may be worth reporting this to the police too though - you might not be the only person they are doing this to.

Hope you get it sorted! x
Edited by: "whiterabbit" 18th Nov 2011
CloudCuckooLand

He hasn't actually threatened me and hubby said that they would only look … He hasn't actually threatened me and hubby said that they would only look into if he was threatening me. (I wanted to call the Police once it was clear he was a little nutty!)The weirdo started of just calling, initially wanted me to take the item to him (rang about 5 times) and when I said no, then wanted my name and address (no I didn't give it!), he then tried calling with funny accent (same mobile no), now calling but not saying anything... Thanks, I'll give Police a call and see what they advise.

Make sure you create a diary of everytime he calls and what is being said roughly. If he is stupid the number will be registered to him. If he is clever and knows what he is doing, its just a pay as you go phone which i think they struggle to trace. But i'm sure they can if it gets serious.
Regardless of whether he has threatened you or not, the continuous calls can be harassment. So as someone says keep a record of time he called, what if anything was said, how long the call lasted. If it persist take it to the police.
You have a couple of options:

- Contact your network provider - I don't think they will block a specific number, however you can change your phone number for free/a fee if you want to.

- Phone application - You can download a phone app if you have an Android or iPhone ('Mr Number' is one). I know for Android you still get a 'miss call' when they ring, however it blocks the call through (the notification can be annoying though).

More technical still, if your Android phone is 'rooted' you can download 'Root Blocker Pro' (free and paid) that hides any notifications (you won't know they called basically).
put up postcard ads for stupidly cheap items in the supermarkets

all the other posts are rubbish
Edited by: "Alfonse" 18th Nov 2011
Stick the number up here - I can assure you that by Monday, he wont dare turn the phone on again!
block the number, simple.
Alfonse

put up postcard ads for stupidly cheap items in the supermarketsall the … put up postcard ads for stupidly cheap items in the supermarketsall the other posts are rubbish

Love it and 3 really big supermarkets here too X)

Spoke to Police and they said keep a diary, the number may be difficult to trace as it is a mobile (I have spoken to BT to get it blocked but if they call from another number or hide their number, will still come through - takes 24hrs) and they have given me a reference number but don't appear to be taking any further action at the moment - but I can call them back!

I have a 'smoke alarm test' scheduled for later (can't find a whistle!). If he happens to be on the phone at that exact moment in time, I apologise in advance for any inconvenience!
Am i the only one interested in what was advertised?

anyway...post the number, we deal with the rest.
What are the 1st 5 digits ?
Blow a whistle down the line, he may think twice next time.
Blow a whistle down the line, he may think twice next time.
ChrisUK

What are the 1st 5 digits ?

0794135***2

I have a kitten for sale, nothing rude LOL. Listed him on Preloved as used site without problems and able to use an alias
Thank you everyone for your support and ideas - they have been great.

Makes you realise that the "Nut Jobs" you read about are a little too close to home, for comfort!

Peace and happiness x

CloudCuckooLandChrisUK What are the 1st 5 digits ?0794135***2I have a … CloudCuckooLandChrisUK What are the 1st 5 digits ?0794135***2I have a kitten for sale, nothing rude LOL. Listed him on Preloved as used site without problems and able to use an alias

WTF, that's my phone number. and you said you had some pussy for sale, i've got a good mind to go to the police for false advertising
T-Mobile number
Give me the number, il make sure this person gets 50+ calls a day, everyday rising to over 200+ by the end of the month,for the rest of their lives... Not good calls either
simplex

Give me the number, il make sure this person gets 50+ calls a day, … Give me the number, il make sure this person gets 50+ calls a day, everyday rising to over 200+ by the end of the month,for the rest of their lives... Not good calls either

the only way to deal with these spaks
CloudCuckooLand

Thank you everyone for your support and ideas - they have been … Thank you everyone for your support and ideas - they have been great.Makes you realise that the "Nut Jobs" you read about are a little too close to home, for comfort!Peace and happiness x

That's misc for you!
+1 To contacting your provider and getting his number blocked.
come on give the full number im gain
just a simple question why the hell is your husband not doing anything?
Alfonse

post the number up here and get everyone to add it to a some nice phone … post the number up here and get everyone to add it to a some nice phone lists

Is that you Alfonse, doesnt sound like you :p...

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lodtmqDVQh1qbhmovo1_400.gif
CloudCuckooLand

0794135***2I have a kitten for sale, nothing rude LOL. Listed him on … 0794135***2I have a kitten for sale, nothing rude LOL. Listed him on Preloved as used site without problems and able to use an alias

Your advert didn't got something like "Pussy For Sale" did it. lol

now just give the 8th, 9th and 10th numbers
my mates ganged up on another and entered his phone number in a gay chat hotline. they used his home number, he was bricking it incase his parents picked up the phone. was funny.
simplex

Is that you Alfonse, doesnt sound like you :p...

jiminy cricket!
Is there no empty houses near by, you could give them that address and wait to see if they turn up then get your husband to have a word with him.
OP ive found a thing on the internet you can trace a number by the last 5 digits of the mobile number post them and i will get you the details for the police

quickly though
gavjbrown

Your advert didn't got something like "Pussy For Sale" did it. lol

That is well funny

No wait it was the first time i heard it in this thread by boabby
churchill

That is well funny No wait it was the first time i heard it in this … That is well funny No wait it was the first time i heard it in this thread by boabby

Doh.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants