Aol upgrading broadband speed

Hey i got a letter today from aol saying that as a loyal customer my broadband is being upgraded from 2mbps to 12 mbps for no extra cost ontop of my £14.99 a month i pay now
Only thing is it doesnt say when this is gunna happen but on the letter it says

Why wait? To start enjoying faster broadband from the broadband experts at no extra cost today call 0800 *** ****

So are they saying i ahve to ring up to get the extra speed or will it happen automatically

19 Comments

u mean u been payin 15/mnth for 2mb????

wow u have been loyal.

Hiya Dan. I use AOL as well, 2mbps, and I only pay £9.99 a month! Used to be £14.99, but I rang them and asked if they could give it to me any cheaper - they did!! :thumbsup:

Re your original question - sounds like you have to ring the freephone number they've given you.

Make sure you check the T&C's because they could be offering you the speed increase for a decrease in service elsewhere which is the case with my ISP.

You should get a letter from them telling you when it's going to happen. They have to place an order with BT to regrade the account and that usually takes about 3 weeks. Don't hold your breath though for 12mb, only people living virtually next door to the exchange will get 12mb, the further you are away the slower it will get so you could end up with the same still!

Original Poster

widstyle;2422796

u mean u been payin 15/mnth for 2mb????wow u have been loyal.

yer my dad signed up for a new contract to get a router free.....didnt check with me on the speed :-D

jocksteeluk;2422812

Make sure you check the T&C's because they could be offering you the … Make sure you check the T&C's because they could be offering you the speed increase for a decrease in service elsewhere which is the case with my ISP.

what sort of decrease in service could they give you???

Original Poster

LaoTzu;2422829

You should get a letter from them telling you when it's going to happen. … You should get a letter from them telling you when it's going to happen. They have to place an order with BT to regrade the account and that usually takes about 3 weeks. Don't hold your breath though for 12mb, only people living virtually next door to the exchange will get 12mb, the further you are away the slower it will get so you could end up with the same still!

EDIT im 650 metres from it just checked on a exchange checker

dandoc2;2422838

EDIT im 650 metres from it just checked on a exchange checker

Excellent, should get at least 8mb then maybe more depending on the state of the cabling! :thumbsup:

LaoTzu;2422835

what sort of decrease in service could they give you???

For instance my isp are offering ADSL2 upgrades but the catch is stricter usage terms, I use a and peak and off peak package for reasonably heavy downloading and they want to change the off peak form 10pm to 1am as well as cut the usage in half for the same money just faster speed, granted AOL deals are different but but you dont know what terms they are adding if you dont read the T&Cs.

I went from 2mb to 4mb, which is the highest I can get in my area (we can't even get cable!!).

It took quite a long time, IIRC.

Banned

You'd better check to see if AOL have installed equipment in your local exchange, I don't think BT have an extensive ADSL2+ customer base.

samknows.com/bro…php

Original Poster

Called them up and to activate it (which you had to ) and its gunna be upgrading in 10days

One question though will my router 54mbps cope with the speed

vixygwim;2422958

You'd better check to see if AOL have installed equipment in your local … You'd better check to see if AOL have installed equipment in your local exchange, I don't think BT have an extensive ADSL2+ customer base.http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Yeh its aol enabled
and whats this mean on mine

Market 3
Four or more 'principal' operators provide broadband services at this exchange. Service in this area has been deregulated!

Not sure why people go with AOL, possibly the worst software and customer service I have ever had to deal with ( on behalf of a client )

Original Poster

MSbedsUK;2423044

Not sure why people go with AOL, possibly the worst software and customer … Not sure why people go with AOL, possibly the worst software and customer service I have ever had to deal with ( on behalf of a client )

ah but i dont use the software or ring their customer service

Well tbh aol isnt as bad as they were

try this site to test your speed before and after said upgrade ]http//ww…tml

dandoc2;2423052

ah but i dont use the software or ring their customer service

Good thing you dont or you may have trouble like this guy

]http//ww…6RY

Original Poster

ding;2423819

try this site to test your speed before and after said upgrade … try this site to test your speed before and after said upgrade ]http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Am going to use the site click suggested on their show
st.tstools.co.uk/

[SIZE="4"]Ok so before[/SIZE] Supposed to be 2mb net

Download : 1,817 kbps
Upload : 227.2
Speed : 1.7mb

[SIZE="4"]After[/SIZE]Supposed to be 12mb

Download :
Upload :

I'm paying £9.99 for 8meg right now, I'll call up if I were you.

Original Poster

OK SO MY SPEED SEEMS A LITTLE QUICKER SO IVE CHECK ON THE SAME SITE I USED ORIGINALLY AND THE VERDICT IS IN

Am going to use the site click suggested on their show
st.tstools.co.uk/

[SIZE="4"]Ok so before[/SIZE] Supposed to be 2mb net

Download : 1,817 kbps
Upload : 227.2
Speed : 1.7mb

[SIZE="4"]After[/SIZE]Supposed to be 12mb

Download : 4,988 KBPS
Upload : 598.83 KBPS
Speed: 4.69 mb

Im not happy at all as thats not even half the speed they quoted me gunna wait till end of next week to see if its any better if not well.....im complaining

Just checked this site
broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
and did the test etc etc and then clicked best speed i can get and ti says this

Your local phone exchange is WallingtonJudging by your distance from this … Your local phone exchange is WallingtonJudging by your distance from this exchange, the maximum speed you are likely to achieve with standard ADSL is 6Mbps.Our checks have determined that Be Broadband and O2 is available in your area and you could achieve speeds of Up to 24Mbps with Be's ADSL2+ technology.Our checks have determined that Virgin Cable is available in your area and you could achieve speeds of Up to 20Mbps with fibre optic cable broadband. Also, with Virgin you don't need your BT phone line and you could save at least £10 a month.Below are the fastest broadband packages available in your area. Check them out to get faster broadband speed.If you want to compare all the packages available to you then click hereAlso, to further improve your broadband and PC speed check the products and links below.

So has aol lied to me saying ican get 12mb and whats adsl 2+
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Better watch out for these...914
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763990
    3. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087

See more discussions