App for turning wifi off at night?

Posted 16th Jul
anyone use an app for switching off wifi to certain xbox, laptops, Alexa's during the night? my lad leaves his phone downstairs every night, but he's still got laptop etc in his room. some mornings he looks like he's been up all night!!
I've sky broadband, but don't really wanna pay extra to do it.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

28 Comments
Think you can set parental controls on laptops and set time limits
An old style timer based switch.
Palwan16/07/2020 18:09

An old style timer based switch.

Sky say u shouldn't turn off wifi completely as it won't get regular updates
Big_Rik16/07/2020 18:11

Sky say u shouldn't turn off wifi completely as it won't get regular …Sky say u shouldn't turn off wifi completely as it won't get regular updates

Use router in Modem Mode and another access point with timer based switch.
  • Keep tabs on screen time by setting regular time limits and bedtimes.
sky.com/hel…ddy
Big_Rik16/07/2020 18:11

Sky say u shouldn't turn off wifi completely as it won't get regular …Sky say u shouldn't turn off wifi completely as it won't get regular updates

That's not a problem as Sky will automatically try to update another time. Is it possible to manually update it yourself during the day? Or schedule update for a different time?
Sky broadband buddy.
Failing that just unplug. Yes you might miss an update but it will happen in the day. I've worked in a few houses where they turn everything off at night (switchers) that's what I call them. Their internet still works fine and everything else..
Edited by: "wayners" 16th Jul
I'm not sure of the brand of the router than Sky use, but with TalkTalk's Huawei routers there's a hidden menu you can get to by logging into your router's management interface and replacing the URL with: 192.168.1.1/htm…tml (of course do change the IP address if your router is on a different one). In that menu you can set the time the internet is available to different devices and also block/allow URLs if you should wish to.

Failing that I think a simple timer switch may be a solution.
Edited by: "morgie" 16th Jul
morgie16/07/2020 19:01

I'm not sure of the brand of the router than Sky use, but with TalkTalk's …I'm not sure of the brand of the router than Sky use, but with TalkTalk's Huawei routers there's a hidden menu you can get to by logging into your router's management interface and replacing the URL with: http://192.168.1.1/html/advance.html#parent_control (of course do change the IP address if your router is on a different one). In that menu you can set the time the internet is available to different devices and also block/allow URLs if you should wish to.Failing that I think a simple timer switch may be a solution.

Now that’s interesting, I’ll have to take a look at that
You can set up limits in a Microsoft account and see how much time is spent doing what. Add him to your Microsoft account
Come on. Don’t tell me you never used to sneakily stay up after bedtime.
Edited by: "ra786" 16th Jul
i asked about turning off the router at night a few years ago and it seems a lot of people do turn off the router at night. apparently should be fine.

but your son could then just come downstairs and turn the router back on i suppose.
Have a look in router settings you may be able to limit times according to MAC address
Who’s your provider?
I can switch certain devices off with the virgin media app
Why not just buy a smart plug and plug the router into it, you can then automatically set it to turn off at certain times or use the app or tell Alexa to turn it off whenever you choose.
Only problem with this method is you'll have to manually switch it back on in the morning.
shef007216/07/2020 20:28

Who’s your provider?I can switch certain devices off with the virgin media …Who’s your provider?I can switch certain devices off with the virgin media app

the OP states sky broadband. i just logged into my sky broadband and it allows you to block themed sites from certain hours in the day. but doesn't seem to identify separate devices in the control setting.
Edited by: "mutley1" 16th Jul
All these suggestions are great and all. But the best thing might be just to check in on him once a while. When you go for wee wee in the middle of the night or whatever, instead of messing around with router settings (draconian), or even worse, “spying” on him by adding to your own account.
ra78616/07/2020 21:11

All these suggestions are great and all. But the best thing might be just …All these suggestions are great and all. But the best thing might be just to check in on him once a while. When you go for wee wee in the middle of the night or whatever, instead of messing around with router settings (draconian), or even worse, “spying” on him by adding to your own account.

depends on how old the kid is. if he is teenager, he may not appreciate the OP opening his bedroom door in the middle of the night.
ra78616/07/2020 21:11

All these suggestions are great and all. But the best thing might be just …All these suggestions are great and all. But the best thing might be just to check in on him once a while. When you go for wee wee in the middle of the night or whatever, instead of messing around with router settings (draconian), or even worse, “spying” on him by adding to your own account.

Unfortunately in my 14 bedroom house it would take ages walking to his room!! 😁😁😁
Seriously though, I do try my best to look in on him.
And I definitely don't and wont be spying on him.
But still don't want him sitting up all night. Especially when school starts again.
Big_Rik16/07/2020 21:24

Unfortunately in my 14 bedroom house it would take ages walking to his …Unfortunately in my 14 bedroom house it would take ages walking to his room!! 😁😁😁Seriously though, I do try my best to look in on him. And I definitely don't and wont be spying on him. But still don't want him sitting up all night. Especially when school starts again.

14 bedrooms? Wish I had that problem.

I wasn’t suggesting that you currently don’t check in on him, I’m certain you do.

But I can see how my post might be read that way.
ra78616/07/2020 21:37

14 bedrooms? Wish I had that problem.I wasn’t suggesting that you c …14 bedrooms? Wish I had that problem.I wasn’t suggesting that you currently don’t check in on him, I’m certain you do. But I can see how my post might be read that way.

I was joking about my 14 bedrooms, I wish!!
Big_Rik16/07/2020 21:39

I was joking about my 14 bedrooms, I wish!!

Feel better now.
I’d take the router to bed with me
dorey6916/07/2020 21:45

I’d take the router to bed with me

If that's what turns u on?? 🤪🤪
This reminds me of when my son was 14ish. He'd happily be on the Internet gaming etc till 4 if we let him. Then be a total wreck for school. I used a simple mechanical timer on the router 3 pin mains plug in those days.
Big_Rik16/07/2020 21:52

If that's what turns u on?? 🤪🤪

Ermm. No. Teenagers are a nightmare and will turn it back on.
mutley116/07/2020 20:56

the OP states sky broadband. i just logged into my sky broadband and it …the OP states sky broadband. i just logged into my sky broadband and it allows you to block themed sites from certain hours in the day. but doesn't seem to identify separate devices in the control setting.

it says on the sky site it needs to be done from the sky app on your phone.
maddogb17/07/2020 14:05

it says on the sky site it needs to be done from the sky app on your phone.

yeah, you can only adjust the settings using your phone app and you have to pay for sky broadband boost, which is £5 pm after the first 18 months.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants